Personally Significant Destination

Options
I've just had an idea to walk from my home to the ocean. For some of you that would take all of 5 minutes or less. For me it would take roughly 15 hours. It's nearly 60 miles away. For others it could be ridiculous and absurd to consider it as a single walk.

So, if you were to select a personally significant destination, course or location, what would you choose?

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I love this going to google maps right now to look for a good destination
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    There is a spot in the Monteverde Cloud Forest in Costa Rica that is right on the continental divide. I can't walk there from where I live, but it is a challenging hike from the park entrance to that spot. I would love to go there again.

It is lovely and you can see the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea on a clear day.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to walk the 30 miles to nashville! ...Never will though haha.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    someone once said that if I put all my exercise together I could probably walk back to MN. I figured that if I did my average 5 miles a day it would take me almost a year since it s 1200 miles.
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Utah and grew up in Southern Utah. I would never actually do the walk in real life (it's a 300 mile trip), but I like to tally my miles and see just how far away I'd be if I really had walked that much. Around here, there's a lot of history about the early pioneers that really did have to walk that distance in order to help settle the areas and I always wondered what it would've been like -- especially in the hottest part of the summer. Whenever I reach the 300 miles, I try to plan a trip back down to go visit my family! Cool idea to go walk to the beach! Let us know how it goes when you do it!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    This would be an interesting challenge, wouldn't it? A virtual walk to your dream location (vs. just tracking steps)

I guess I would head for the mountains. I always wanted to see Vancouver. That would be 2,157 miles!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's 1387 miles from my house to Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles in Hollywood. That's where my husband and I had our first kiss. I think it would take me about 19 days to get there walking at leisurely pace, without stopping. :heart:
  • Escultor
    Escultor Posts: 64
    Options
    Oh, I don't mean it as a virtual walk for myself. I'm going to do it. I think I might try to publicise it a bit as an informal call to realise how near the ocean is. Around here we have painted curbs and storm drains that say: Flows to the Bay.

I'll sort logistics. It may be next year. It may be later. I will do it though.
  • Escultor
    Options
    It's 1387 miles from my house to Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles in Hollywood. That's where my husband and I had our first kiss. I think it would take me about 19 days to get there walking at leisurely pace, without stopping. :heart:

HAHAHAAH. Aaawww, that's sweet. At first I thought it was just for the restaurant. That's a long walk.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i would ride my bike from rhode island to washington state, then to central california and back. that's my dream ride.

edit: last year my bf & i tried to walk the length of rhode island but only made it half way, dipping slightly into connecticut and back. it took us 3 days to walk 40 miles; the entire trail is 75.

this year we'll do it again, except on bicycles. it should be a two-day trip from the top of rhode island to the ocean.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't mean it as a virtual walk for myself. I'm going to do it. I think I might try to publicise it a bit as an informal call to realise how near the ocean is. Around here we have painted curbs and storm drains that say: Flows to the Bay.

I'll sort logistics. It may be next year. It may be later. I will do it though.

Cool ! Keep us posted!
  • Escultor
    Options
    Kayemme & Suzoz,

I will definitely keep you posted.

Is the RI trail dirt or paved roads? Dirt I can see being slower if the surface is rough, gravelly, rutted. Something I hadn't thought about: If the journey requires pitching and striking camp and cooking in the open, that changes the experience tremendously. To me, a wilderness hike simply for the sake of hiking through beautiful landscape is somewhat different. (I think so right now, anyway.)

KM, let us know how it goes when you do it.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    this would actually be an interesting challenge, to do as a virtual or real thing, pick a place you've always wanted to go and either walk there and post a blog about each step of the journey or walk your local area and transpose (is that the word i'm thinking of) that distance onto the dream route and again post a blog about the journey, but make it a work of fiction based on what it would be like to have done the actual walk. i may have to try that myself, hmmmm but where do i want to to walk to that would be the hard decision for me
  • Escultor
    Options
    this would actually be an interesting challenge, to do as a virtual or real thing, pick a place you've always wanted to go and either walk there and post a blog about each step of the journey or walk your local area and transpose (is that the word i'm thinking of) that distance onto the dream route and again post a blog about the journey, but make it a work of fiction based on what it would be like to have done the actual walk. i may have to try that myself, hmmmm but where do i want to to walk to that would be the hard decision for me
    I love it! I think my pulse actually quickened.

I've sort of been logging some of the things I see on my walks this week. That needs to be more thoughtful. My favorite was the great blue heron. Blog.

What I want to do now (in the future) is to walk from John o'Groats (Scotland) to Land's End (England). Hmmmm, with friends working for the Beeb (Radio Scotland) I wonder what I could do with this from here? Brilliant idea. In fact, one friend there wrote a book on the Whisky Trail by motorcycle. Good call, whiskey.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Kayemme & Suzoz,

I will definitely keep you posted.

Is the RI trail dirt or paved roads? Dirt I can see being slower if the surface is rough, gravelly, rutted. Something I hadn't thought about: If the journey requires pitching and striking camp and cooking in the open, that changes the experience tremendously. To me, a wilderness hike simply for the sake of hiking through beautiful landscape is somewhat different. (I think so right now, anyway.)

KM, let us know how it goes when you do it.

It is half paved. It is called the North / South trail and it is one of the oldest paths through Rhode Island, if not the oldest. So many parts of it are paved now, and it's hard to tell which is the trail and which is a road, but there are markers to keep you on track.

The problem with the pavement is there's no spring on the foot, so it's just hard on the feet; i prefer the more natural routes of which there were so few that it made the walk seem like we were taking a stroll through suburbs (absolutely not my idea of a good time).

The few woods we did get through were amazing, though. And we found many abandoned houses and homestead foundations.

The dirt isn't necessarily slower because in natural paths, you have obstacles (felled trees, boulders, streams, etc). IMO, pavement was the worst. Just no cushion at all for your body; a constant jolt with each step.

Justin (bf) & I want to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain. It's supposed to be a silent pilgrimage.
  • Escultor
    Options
    The Camino de Santiago (all the north of Spain) is gorgeous. When we lived in Spain while I was doing a paper on the history and architecture of the Camino we spent time in Santiago. I didn't do the trail itself though. I would like to with my boys in a few years. If yo do it,I would recommend deciding whether you want to be there during a jubilee year. The number of people increases tremendously.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I love this going to google maps right now to look for a good destination

Okay took me long enough to get back to this, because I've been really thinking about this. Was looking for a realistic AND challenging goal.

Hudson River is 8 miles to the West, There is a park with nice hiking about 8 miles north, the Long Island Sound it 9 miles to the east. and a lovely little town about 6 miles to the south. So all of these seem almost too easy. Heck, when I lived downtown I did 5 miles without thinking about it. (I hate the subway at rush hour would rather walk)

To get to the ocean I've got to head through NYC. Yeah, I just moved out of NYC after 26 years there. I'm just not feeling that walk.

Then I thought. Maybe it's a series of smaller walks, maybe it's not about the destination as much as the company...

Maybe I'll head to the park with my friend Jean,

Maybe on my nieces next visit we'll head for that cute little town and find a nice outdoor cafe for lunch. (will check our website for health options before hand) (Sssh, don't tell the niece it's healthy)

Maybe I'll talk my cousin into making the two hour walk to the ocean starting from her house.

The godson, what can I hood wink that 17 year-old cool kid into?

& My friend Roger in phillly... I'm sure I can talk him into something

Then Wendy in baltimore... She loves hiking.

Okay I need at least 3 more destinations

I'm going to go back read thru all the other responses to get more ideas.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Utah and grew up in Southern Utah. I would never actually do the walk in real life (it's a 300 mile trip), but I like to tally my miles and see just how far away I'd be if I really had walked that much. Around here, there's a lot of history about the early pioneers that really did have to walk that distance in order to help settle the areas and I always wondered what it would've been like -- especially in the hottest part of the summer. Whenever I reach the 300 miles, I try to plan a trip back down to go visit my family! Cool idea to go walk to the beach! Let us know how it goes when you do it!

I live in the Ogden area and my parents live in West Jordan. When I'm on the treadmill, I think about how many walks or jogs I would have to do to get to their house or to St George.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    My personal destination would be Hawaii. I'm very landlocked in Utah, so I would have to include a good swim to get there.:wink: I do like to imagine that I'm going there as motivation when I'm working out. I have only been once and I was 7 months pregnant at the time. I imagine going there and actually looking beach ready.:glasses:
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options

HAHAHAAH. Aaawww, that's sweet. At first I thought it was just for the restaurant. That's a long walk.

Me too. I was thinking that must be some damn good chicken and waffles. lol
    Very sweet =)