Any high fibre foods I'm missing?

Options
2»

Replies

• thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I add benefiber to my drinking water. It still counts as water and helps with the fiber. I like the citrus punch flavor but I know they have a flavorless one too.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Merilax, every night, will keep you moving. Popcorn :-)
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    Beans!!! Navy, black, kidney, black eyed peas...you name it, they are chock full of fiber! Make them yourself to avoid sodium overload: throw 2 cups in the crockpot along with 6-8 cups of water, cook overnight on high, then salt to taste in the morning. You will get, on average, like 15-20g of fiber per cup.

**Edited for typos. :)

i've been looking for an easy way to cook beans...do i still rinse/soak them first? or just throw them dry into the crockpot?
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    Benefiber has been great for me, more so than metamucil. It dissolves completely even in plain water you won't know its there. I put 1 TBSP in every 16oz (1/2 liter) glass I drink for 5g of fiber.

I like rice and grains, so I make a pilaf of brown basmati rice and hulled barley. The barley has more fiber, the rice more flavor.
    1 part brown basmati (1/2 cup)
    2 parts hulled barley (1 cup)
    6 parts water (3 cups)
    1 TBSP Mrs Dash Onion and Herb Flavor
    salt to taste
    Put all in a covered casserole dish. Seal with aluminum foil before putting the lid on, to trap the steam. Bake in a 350F oven for 70 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes before opening. Makes around 10 1/2 cup serviings with 100 calories, 21g total carb, 4 g fiber.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Beans!!! Navy, black, kidney, black eyed peas...you name it, they are chock full of fiber! Make them yourself to avoid sodium overload: throw 2 cups in the crockpot along with 6-8 cups of water, cook overnight on high, then salt to taste in the morning. You will get, on average, like 15-20g of fiber per cup.

**Edited for typos. :)

i've been looking for an easy way to cook beans...do i still rinse/soak them first? or just throw them dry into the crockpot?
    Just rinse them and throw them in. The crockpot literally takes all the work out of dried beans. :)
  • Minou888
    Minou888 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello!

Quinoa is very high in fibre, zinc and many other minerals and vitamins! You can mix it in with a salad or eat like couscous. Doesn't have much taste but if you add spices and veggies, really yummy!

And well, coffee never fails to "help" me in that department. I know there is no fibre at all, but works for me...hehe..
  • Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    -kellog's fiber plus bars
    -salad made with fresh spinach leaves, pickles, and then w/e you want
    -watermelon, or just melon in general
    -prunes
    -grapes
    -up your water

And at walmart you can buy that retarded 14 day acai berry cleanse, which does NOTHING for your weight, but it will in fact make ya go # 2.

Good luck!
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Minou888 coffee always workd for me too but I went caffein fre about a year ago. In desperation last week I tried a good ol' big mug of coffee - nothin'.
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Went grocery shopping today. I got a box of the individual flavourless Benefibre sachets to try - they seem amazing can't even tell the difference from plain water. Also found some multigrain tortilla wraps which are only 100 calories each with 6.6 grams of fibre (guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!). I also found some incredibly low call chickpea and spinach vegetarian sausages which I can't wait to try. Four sausages will have less than 200 calories and 10 grams of fibre.

My wonderful boyfriend is currently chopping up a mountain of carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoe and regular potatoe to roast to have along with peas and brocolli with our steak tonight. I figure I can't use the left over pumpkin and sweet potatoe on my wraps with some lettuce and sprouts.