Victory over the treadmill

Options
I am really excited about this and needed to share.

I hate running. Well, I thought I hated it.

When I'm at the gym I usually do the eliptical or bike- those things come easier to me and I can do them for a long period time doing various levels of resistance. I skate too and have roller derby practice 3 days a week- 2hours at a time. So I'm not a novice to working out. But I haven't gotten on a treadmill in almost a year and was dreading it because to me, running, is one of the ultimate signs of fitness. To me, if you can run/jog (without taking a break) in a 5k, 10k, Marathon, etc. you must be fit and in shape and have your whole life together :)

But tonight I was on the treadmill for 40 min- 5 min warmup, 30 min. run/jog (5.7) and 5 min cool down.

30 minutes straight, no breaks! :)

So I don't hate running anymore and I am definitely going start doing it more. I think I'm going to start looking for the next 5K run and see how I do. :)

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I can only run for 5 minutes at a time...MAX. I hope I'll get to 30 minute runs some day...

By the way, derby ROCKS! several of my friends are in the local league and I love watching them :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym, I couldn't imagine being able to run on the treadmill. Over the last year, I had worked my way up to being able to run at a nice pace for 30-45 mins. Then I found out I have a bulging disc in my lower spine, so I've backed down on my speed (used to be around 6.0 and now I'm down to the 5.2-5.4 range) but I still manage to run for 30-45 mins. I like the treadmill above everything else for cardio.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • hydee77
    hydee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yay to victory over the treadmill! Great job. I hope someday to be able to run for 30mins on the treadmill.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    great job. i want to try running on it, but umm i am afraid of tread mills but i have been getting on up the courge to walk on them , holding on with an iron tight grip ofcourse
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I'm hoping to get there, too. Always hated running when I had to do it for PT (Armys days) but now I want to be ABLE to do even if I don't like it...kinda hoping it will grow on me now that I'm doing it for me and not because it's required :)
    Congratulations on your treadmill triumph!!
  • faithgriggs
    Options
    congrats to you!!! :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Congrats from another newbie runner!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!