cheat days

Options
What do you guys think about cheat days? Is it good? Bad? Does it mean you are dieting and not living a healthy lifestyle. Do you think its important to have one day where you don't count calories or work out?

Does it cause you to revert back to your old habits? Will it really hurt you to take one day off? Is it more of a lifestyle change, and if so how does "cheat day" fall into this? Cheating sounds like you are dieting. If you are changing your whole mind set on how and what you eat, then you wouldn't feel the need to cheat, right? Or is a cheat day good for the mind and soul, to relax and for once not stress or count calories?

How often should we "cheat"?

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    This is from my blog:

I don't see it too often now but it still happens too much. People like to invent themself a day called, "Cheat day." It's pretty much one day a week chosen to break thier diet.

Everybody does it including myself. However, some people take it too far. I see people eat in excess on 3000+ calories! That's twice the amount if you are trying to loose weight! That's the amount I eat if I'm trying to gain a pound a week. So just doing that, you just set your diet back a week.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    That's really a personal choice, based on how you are with your eating habits. For some people, it gives them more motivation throughout the week because they know they will have that one day to eat what they want. For others it leads to one day after another of binging and guilt. So really, its up to you and what you think you can handle. It helped me in the beginning, but now it doesn't so much. I end up wanting to eat like that all the time.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I took a 2 month break from counting calories and exercising and I still lost weight, in fact 9 pounds. But I had been counting calories off and on for over a year so knowing to check labels has become a habit. I don't diet so I don't have cheat days. I refuse to completely give up the foods I love but instead learn moderation. I can trust myself to not have to count calories and exercise and still be able to lose weight. I mean am I seriously going to spend the rest of my life counting calories? No. So why not learn now how to eat that way when I reach my goal I'm not lost and gain all my weight back?
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    you don't need cheat days. they don't help you maintain your metabolism or anything. i think the only valid excuse for a cheat day is to reward yourself for having a string of good diet days and for a sanity check. but in the end, you are better off not having them at all or only having 1 a month or something, and even then you should definitely not go overboard. don't overeat by several thousand calories or something.
  • muncharoo
    muncharoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    personally for me I don't have a cheat day. If I'm doing good without wanting anything bad then i don't but if I want something bad say like a donut then I would by one and split up into calorie portions. example if the donut is 200 calories, i would split the donut into 4's and figure out how many calories are in each piece (200 divided by 4 = 50 calories a piece) so then I would decide if that piece of donut is worth 50 calories and how hard I have to work off that 50 calories. :( usually that helps deter me from having whatever that I wanted but if I still really need it then I would but figure out how many calories its worth and usually have one piece is enough to satisfy me and feel guilty enough to not have the rest. For me when I do it that way then I don't really feel the need for a "cheat day" I also think and it happens to me is if I deprive myself then I binge very bad. so just satisfy yourself but moderation good luck

add me as a friend if you like. I'm always looking for friends for support.

* side note: whenever I want to eat anything that I shouldn't I come on here and I realize that I'm not the only one who is "suffering" then I feel easy and have loads more control of not wanting that bad anything. Because I know I have the support of my friends on here and that we are all going through the same feeling and wanting and it does make me stronger. :)

Hope all this make sense because I'm rambling a lot.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I don't have them, I wait for special occasions to make diet expectations. However. some people swear by cheat days, so I think it's really a personal decision.
  • simonj80
    simonj80 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love cheat days however I dont cheat the whole day. If I have a good week where I work out every day, and under calories. I treat myself to something, mini blizzard from dairy queen, or soup and bread sticks from olive garden. Just dont over due it and feed on junk all day. I also dont say I am on a diet either it is just a healthier way of life. I dont deprive myself and I also am not supper strict I do eat healthier and work out, but only to have a happier life. ( lost 61 pounds in 7 months but have gone down 16 dress sizes :happy: )
  • disneyval
    disneyval Posts: 18
    Options
    Work my butt off all week only to "lose" what I've gained?! (or should I say, "gain" what I've lost!) No way! This is too tough. I do make allowances for special treats, however. Like birthday cake or a homemade treat in the workroom. I also do what I call a "maintenance day" every now and then (on vacation or when I have company) where I don't count calories but eat what I want in moderation. Then I force myself on the scale the next day b/c I think that weighing in everyday is really important.
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    I love having a cheat day once a week or every two weeks. I don't want to deprive myself completely of food that taste good and that isn't necessarily good for you. I just make sure I don't go overboard (everything in moderation). It has always worked for me and I continue to lose weight. I enjoy to go out with my family and friends every now and then.
  • lisam724
    lisam724 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My Husband and I are both counting and we allow one cheat meal every two weeks ! last one was two weeks ago so our next would be Easter. I didn't ever do to bad my dinner was at Red Robin had 3 fries and a chicken caprice sandwich the Sandwich was 640 and the fries I think 125 a whole serving would of been 450 or so. we don't call it a cheat it's a treat meal and we didn't go over to bad.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You all have made some very valid points. I think a lot of people take the word cheat to a whole new level and eat way too many calories and also make it harder for them to stay on track and stay disciplined. I also like the idea of just letting yourself have what you want every now and then, in moderation. This also keeps you sane. We all need a day where we don't count calories or a night out at a restaurant where we aren't logging in everything on the menu to see what we can have. My outlook is, keep it as close to your calorie goal as you can every single day... so when you have a rough day where you didn't plan ahead w/ healthy snacks, or you have a birthday party to attend... you can eat what you want without feeling guilty or like you're taking a step backward. Everyone is different though... to each his own. I've also heard that switching it up and going over your calories once in a while will keep your body guessing, and help you keep losing in the long run by avoiding any plateaus that might occur.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I really don't do "cheat days" and I am really attempting to not call this a "diet." I have done some things that weren't good choices, always consciously... but -- I also find that I do NOT enjoy the unhealthy stuff like my head thinks that I am going to. Occasionally one square of chocolate is good - but I wasn't a big chocolate person anyway. I had some homemade eggrolls in the freezer that I had somewhat obsessed over for a good 2 months. I made some and didn't enjoy eating what felt like was grease. Eating a cookie or cake almost always instantly upsets my stomach... too much sugar puts me into an instant sugar high and sugar hangover... So, it's become much easier. Only one time did my "cheat" for a meal taste good (it was the crispy flour tortilla bowl of a taco salad) and it did taste great! But within minutes of having it -- I felt horrible. I won't ever make that choice again because the great taste did not outweigh the awful feeling I had. Just my experience... I almost "wish" for a cheat day but I also know that if I give in to things that I crave them more. I drank a Diet Pepsi and it was so hard to go back to water... so I try to avoid anything like that.

Another small note... I really am trying to find non-food items as ways to reward myself. For the longest time (and still even now and then) I would walk though the store feeling deprived and wishing that I could have a "treat"... My "treats" became Beef Jerky and Diet Pepsi... but now are switching again to non-food treats. I need to switch how I think about everything!! :wink:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Quote from my blog...

"I don’t necessarily believe in “Cheat Days” though. The whole connotation of a “cheat day” is so negative."

If you're having a wonderful day with your family..(i was a 6yo birthday yesterday) and you want to participate...just use portion control. No need for "CHEATING".
  • ccshorty13
    Options
    I don't have them, I wait for special occasions to make diet expectations. However. some people swear by cheat days, so I think it's really a personal decision.

I find it really difficult to stick with it at family get togethers and dinners out with friends. I still try and eat healthy but I do tend to go over my goal on those days.
  • mommytomia
    Options
    I do not have cheat days. I zig zag my calories, so if I am craving something, I fit it into my higher calorie count days.
    No food is off limits to me... ever.
    But the further I get into this new lifestyle, the foods I used to love do not appeal to me much.
    I am very close to goal and do not see my daily intake changing much at all.
  • MHoxworth
    MHoxworth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had that problem today - a birthday party. OMG - once I ate too much, I said, heck with it, and went back for 2nds! Ahhhh! I CANT DO THAT! I guess at least I am aknowleding that I am doing wrong. For so many years, I would just eat and never think about it. I just ate anything and everything. So even though I had a bad day (or 2) this weekend - I am realizing that I messed up - and am going to correct it this week. And hope that I dont do this every weekend lol :o) Thanks for all the inspiration. People that are overweight - really know how to lose weight and how to eat right - they just aren't doing it. :o) At least thats how I am.... was.... :o)
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Definitely had one of those today... Just felt like taking a break but I know I will be back on track tomorrow :)