Getting frusturated

Options
So I know that sometimest after starting working out your muscles are sore and they retain water causing an increase in the scale..I know all that but when its me having to look at that scale it makes me very upset. I feel like im not doing something right. I am on day 5 and have been eating clean and great. I also run and walk several miles a day and have for the last 5 days. My muscles are soooo sore and I have shin splints up the ying yang.. I started at 158 and yesterday I was 160 and today I was 162... I am SOOOO frusturated.. How come some people are loosing 3-5 lbs their first week and here I am gaining 4 pounds...

Replies

• mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself once a week (i weight myself on mondays) in the morning before you eat or drink anything and completely naked. then don't weight yourself again until the following monday.

also make sure you are accurately recording your calories. some people eyeball their servings. you need to actually measure things out.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have my digital food scale for measuring my food.. I will open my food diary to public and see if anyone has suggestions.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree about only weighing yourself once a week. You'd be surprised how much your weight fluctuates during the day let alone day to day. Try and avoid being a slave to the scale. It's common to see a slight weight increase as you build muscle. Your body will eventually catch up and the weight will come back off. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water and keeping your sodium intake at a reasonable rate to avoid water retention.

I'm not one of those people who loses 3-5lbs a week. I tend to hold my weight for awhile and then will lose 7 or more pounds literally overnight.

Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    5 days? Give your body some time!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The more sore you feel, the more your muscles are holding onto the water as part of their repair process. Don't fret, once you have those muscles built up, they will speed you on your way.

As for why certain people lose tons their first week, they often aren't exercising to the point of soreness. Furthermore, most people who lose a lot were not eating very healthy, so they were bloated from the kinds of foods - especially sugars and sodium - that make our bodies hold onto water.

Remember, no matter what the scale says, no matter how your jeans fit, if you are eating right and getting exercise, you are healthier!
  • mkennedym
    Options
    i looked at the last few days of your diet and it seems fine. just give it a bit more time. rome wasn't built in a day (or 5 days)
  • LindseyC87
    Options
    Thanks you guys!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    i looked at the last few days of your diet and it seems fine. just give it a bit more time. rome wasn't built in a day (or 5 days)

I would say that your diet looks OK, but if you continue to have problems you should cut out the sugars. You are eating high sugar fruits (bananas) and straight up sugar (do twizzlers have anything else in them?). In moderation, these things aren't always horrible, but if you are stuck, cutting them out might help.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    So I know that sometimest after starting working out your muscles are sore and they retain water causing an increase in the scale..I know all that but when its me having to look at that scale it makes me very upset. I feel like im not doing something right. I am on day 5 and have been eating clean and great. I also run and walk several miles a day and have for the last 5 days. My muscles are soooo sore and I have shin splints up the ying yang..

I was having issues with shin pain when I first started doing lots of walking and jogging...there are a lot of great stretches to alleviate this--try googling "shin splint exercises." I had to stop running for a few days until I learned some stretches, and I also do a hot bath/shower or get in the hot tub at the gym and stretch there after runs...now I rarely have any pain at all other than typical muscle soreness that goes away quickly.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree with weighing in once a week. I peek 3-4 times a week, but I only count what it says on Wednesdays.
    Also, weight comes off easier for people who have alot of weight to lose ;)

Hang in there! Your commitment WILL pay off and you will be toned in no time with all the exercise.

OH>>> one more thing. Check measurements, as you have probably heard; muscle weighs more than fat... you are probably losing fat but gaining a little muscle.

xoxoxo
  • mkennedym
    Options

I would say that your diet looks OK, but if you continue to have problems you should cut out the sugars. You are eating high sugar fruits (bananas) and straight up sugar (do twizzlers have anything else in them?). In moderation, these things aren't always horrible, but if you are stuck, cutting them out might help.

ultimately if she has a calorie deficit, sugar isn't going to cause her to keep her weight. if she is expending more calories per day than she is consuming, the weight will come off anyways even if she is way over on sugar.
  • LindseyC87
    Options
    Thanks. I will look into some shin excersices..
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I had this same problem and come to find out not only were the bananas high in sugar but apparently when you eat them often they cause major constipation!
  • LindseyC87
    Options
    I will keep the sugar thing in mind. The only reason I ate the 1 individually wrapped twizzler today was because my 6 year old daughter went on a field trip today and won it as a prize and saved it all day so she could give it to me.. I couldnt say no :smile:
    I will just have to wait a few weeks to see if the water weight goes away... If it doesnt then i am going to have to re-evaluate my diet and increase my intesity of my workouts... I did go buy Boca burgers today because I am going to try and reduce my meat intake and replace it with other proteins.
  • Soulwriter
    Soulwriter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged you will loose the weight you will get past it and it will all work out, don't loose hope I think you just need to keep doing it have you gotten any advice on shin splints cause I have some cause I get them so bad. These are the stretches that I do that are helping me out a ton. Lay on your back with one leg at a time, your leg off the ground with your knee bent at a 90 degree angle, flex and point your toe for 5 minutes timed (flex, point, flex, point, for 5 minutes). Do this on each leg it will build your shin muscle thus making shin splints bareable. Also I'd pick up some shin compression bands at your local sports authority, I know they have them, if you don't have one near you any sports store should have one, or even online, they have almost completely gotten rid of mine along with good shoes if you have them. Good luck keep it up and everything will be alright
    -Shea
  • silkystarfish
    Options
    i agree, it is only 5 days, give it more time, at least 14-20 days before you worry that you arent loosing. sometimes the body just holds on to it, then BAM you wake up 5lbs lighter one day.

I also agree with sneak peaks on the scale during the week, but make one day only the official weigh in day.
    I even now only have 2 official days per month. the 1st day of the month and the last day. I make sure that the last days weight is less than the 1st days weight, and I'm on a winner there :) lol
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i kinda have a scale issue too. I'm constantly standing on it, and the WII fit things weights you every time you step on it.. makes me discouraged too. I can't seem to get my calories, carbs, sugar and proteins to even out.. I'm a week into this too, and I'm feeling hopeless...
  • heesunruth
    Options
    I think you don't have to worry about it.
    Weight itself doesn't tell your efforting, I believe.
    You can think about this by comparing the weight/volume of muscles and fats then think about your decreasing size.
    I am sure, you feel your clothes are getting bigger than your body size before. It is much better than losing weight itself !
    When your body fats have been decreasing, your weight could always not be reducing faster as we imagine.
    If we assume the same weight/volume of fats and muscle, you can guess which has larger volume.
    In addition, when our body needs energy, but we don't eat much food to supply sufficient calories, our body uses our fats first,
    then, uses muscle for protein.
    And, each individual has different level of basal metabolism. it could be influenced by the way of living, gene, personality, the cooking style(whether you steam, fry, boil, bake or whether you use fresh foods or preserved products, or minerals:Ca, Na, K, P and so on,) medical condition or stress level, because some hormone can influenceon burning surplus calories and so on.
    You can just think simple physiology and science.
    To realize what I have eatten before and to realize how much it was bad and to change your way of eatting are great things,
    I think. And then, your body will be adjusting better way of cooking and eatting more and more.Then sooner or later, without noticing, you will find your body is changing.
    It could tell you that you would be getting healthier than before.
    I believe that healthy life is better than having commercially standardized body size all the time.
    So, don't be frustrated and believe that you will do your best. And just think positivey ~

You will do great !
  • christinetindell
    Options
    First of all, don't weigh after your work out and I wonder if you are drinking enought water?