gluten/dairy free bread/muffin/pasta?

Options
njksharp
njksharp Posts: 60 Member
I recently found out that my daughter is allergic to gluten and cow's dairy products. Unfortunately she loves bread, muffins, rolls and milk. Does anyone have any good recipes/alternative to make this transition easier for her. I realize that there are alot of websites on this but would like to use recipes other people have tried and know are good. Some of the stuff I bought for her at Whole Foods is kinda bad. Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• njksharp
    Options
    I recently found out that my daughter is allergic to gluten and cow's dairy products. Unfortunately she loves bread, muffins, rolls and milk. Does anyone have any good recipes/alternative to make this transition easier for her. I realize that there are alot of websites on this but would like to use recipes other people have tried and know are good. Some of the stuff I bought for her at Whole Foods is kinda bad. Thanks for any suggestions!
  • hallusmc
    hallusmc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Check out this website - I don't know what all they have, but a friend of mine id a member and her daughter is allergic togluten.

www.nedlife.com
  • njksharp
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    The Kid Friendly ADHD and Autism Cookbook is EXCELLENT! Especially the veggie muffins! So check out that book!
    I have found that I like the Kinnikinnick bread mixes the best. I just think they taste better than the refrigerated bread that's pre-made.
    My son has been gf/cf for about 6 months now and is doing great! Let me know if I can help you with anything!
    Melissa
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My daughter has issues with breads as do I with both of those things. Personally I have found that I can have tortillas and pita bread without issues. I don't know that this will help you.

I have heard Ezekiel bread is very good. I cannot have it due to the barley.

I would suggest checking our "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook"
    Can your daughter have goats milk? Some people can have that without a reaction others cannot. Same with cheeses. Zuchinni , cabbage and spaghetti squash can be used in place of pasta or you can find gluten free pastas. Most of the recipes I use or take ideas from are from this book.

I hope that helps I know its difficult.
  • njksharp
    Options
    oh thank you soooo much. It is a little overwhelming, I am sure I will be asking you tons of questions. :smile:
  • njksharp
    Options
    Eve, thanks for the suggestion! Yes she can have goat's milk. Does that taste ok, she's real funny about her food and textures.....
  • Eve23
    Options
    Personally I choose to drink almond milk. The reason for me is that all milks are similiar in make up to some degree and therefore a similiar reaction. For me as a child I was so sensitive I could not have even goats milk. The flavor is different from milk and can be an aquired taste. If you choose to try it just know that depending on her tastes and sensitivities she may not be able to have it.

But it is an option. Specially if she can have it and you use it in just cooking almond milk, soy milk and rice milk can be a little tricky to cook with sometimes.
  • njksharp
    Options
    Where can I get almond milk? Is it kept in the refrigerated section?
  • Eve23
    Options
    I get mine from a grocery store with a natural or organic food section. It is not as common as the rice or soy milk. Silk is very good I like the vanilla and the chocolate is an exceptional treat. I am not a fan of the rice milk but the almond milk has a richer flavor a little nutty.

My mom and I are working out a way to make ice cream with the almond milk. Last try wasn't to bad a little more like ice though. But it can be done. Use a little imagination.

And ps it was not in the refridgerator.
  • njksharp
    Options
    so it's not kept cold then right? I think she might like the nutty flavor of the almond better
  • njksharp
    Options
    sorry did not read all the way to the bottom. Now atleast I have some really good suggestions to start with thank you, everyone so much!
  • Eve23
    Options
    Right the almond milk is generally not refridgerated. I sent you a website that may be helpful to you.
  • njksharp
    Options
    Cool, thank you
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the response so forgive me if it's redundant.

Almond milk is the BEST and you can find it at most grocery stores but most likely WONT be in the refrigerated section considering it's an refrig after opening item. My son loves the chocolate one.... :)

You can do a google search for gluten free bread mixes there is sooo many of them and your local library should have tones of cookbooks for gluten free foods. I would send you some links but i am at work and trying not to get into too much trouble lol
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options

I'm allergic to gluten/wheat dairy and egg (along with almond, green bean, and garlic - go figure). I have been wheat/gluten free for more than a dozen years. It is getting much easier, there is a lot more on the market than when I first found out.

BREAD
    I really don't like most of the bread products available. The best I've found is the tapioca bread - http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=2&cat=2&id=1014 and it's only good when it is toasted.

Usually I just use a good (authentic) corn tortilla (heated) for my bread needs. My favorite brand is Dos Ranchitos. If she does not like them just keep trying different brands, there is a wide range and they must be heated until pliable or they will taste terrible.

CAKE/COOKIES
    Pamela's makes a decent chocolate cake mix and also sells pre-baked cookies etc. Other brands exist too. The dairy is fairly easy to replace, but the egg is a little tougher. If you need ideas email me and I'll send you what I've done.

PASTA
    For pasta the Ancient Harvest brand corn-quinoa blend are the best (most realistic). Trader Joe's organic rice pasta is good too, it's the only rice pasta I can stomach. http://www.celiac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73

MILK
    Trader Joe's has the best price on the rice milk, I don't know about soy. Soy Delicious is my favorite milk substitute, but I never liked milk. Soy Delicious is also my favorite frozen ice cream-like dessert. Again, trader joe's brand tastes exactly like Soy Delicious. The others are not as good.

I used to spend a lot of time perfecting recipes for my use, but I'm a super busy grad student right now so I've not done this in a few years and don't know what I've done with what I had.

The books I have on my shelf: You will still have to modify many of them to be dairy free. My children are both dairy free and we use both soy and rice milk.
    The Gluten free Gourmet cooks fast and Healthy by Bette Hagman
    Against the Grain by Jax Peters Lowell
    The allergy Self-help Cookbook
    125 Best Gluten Free recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt

I'll try to add more once I read this post and see if it makes any sense. Email me anytime.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Wheat-Free frozen waffles are bread-like

Trader Joe's brand is wheat-free dairy-free egg- free
    They also have a banana flavored

Van's also has a waffle that I eat from time to time.
    http://vansintl.com/wheatfree.php
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Arrowhead Mills has a baking mix.
    http://www.arrowheadmills.com/health/gluten-free.php

Baking without gluten is a learned art. It takes patience and practice. Good luck.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    One more thought.
    The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks fast and Healthy by Bette Hagman is the book I have used the most.
    It has a huge number of bread recipes.
    There is a biscuit mix that I made up and used. It calls for Buttermilk powder. I used (either) soy infant formula or dried goat milk. The dried goat milk powder tasted better, but I could not tolerate it as well. As I already had a child using soy infant formula so I added it to the mix. I'm too sleepy to transcribe the recipe tonight. Email me if you want it.
    Good luck. You are not alone.