Splenda was born as an insecticide!

Options
2»

Replies

• sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i truly like it, today i baked brown sugar cookies using the splenda brown sugar blend, i used half the amount from the recipe and i got these amazing sweet biscuits that were to die for. they werent too sweet at all but they were kind of like sweeter scones. absolutely delicious.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Guess I won't have to worry about those pesky mosquitoes anymore, I like Splenda and have no intention to stop using it. I guess if there was some REAL evidence that it was bad I would think about it, but I have yet to see any conclusive evidence. Just people with opinions and scare tactics, none of which I care about at all.:explode:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Guess I won't have to worry about those pesky mosquitoes anymore, I like Splenda and have no intention to stop using it. I guess if there was some REAL evidence that it was bad I would think about it, but I have yet to see any conclusive evidence. Just people with opinions and scare tactics, none of which I care about at all.:explode:
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In combo with sodium, chlorine forms a harmless "ionic bond" to yield table salt. Sucralose makers often highlight this worthless fact to defend its' safety. Apparently, they missed the second day of Chemistry 101 - the day they teach "covalent" bonds.

When used with carbon, the chlorine atom in sucralose forms a "covalent" bond. The end result is the historically deadly "organochlorine"

Zero calorie sweeteners are the enemy of any healthy diet. Use them and you will have an increased appetite, stomach and gastrointestinal problems, weakened immune function, irregular heart beat, agitation, shortness of breath, skin rashes, headaches, liver and kidney damage, birth defects, cancer, cancer and more cancer.

If you experience these side effects above, by all means avoid sucralose based sweeteners. As far as organochlorine compounds there is a wide range. Sucralose is hardly Agent Orange....

FACT:
    Sucralose belongs to a class of compounds known as organochlorides (or chlorocarbons). Some organochlorides, particularly those that accumulate in fatty tissues, are toxic to plants or animals, including humans.[30] Sucralose, however, is not known to be toxic in small quantities and is extremely insoluble in fat; it cannot accumulate in fat like chlorinated hydrocarbons. In addition, sucralose does not break down or dechlorinate.[31]

^ Reigart, Dr. J. Routt; Roberts, Dr. James R., eds (1999-03). "6". Solid Organochlorine Insecticides (5 ed.). United States: Environmental Protection Agency.
    ^ Daniel, JW; Renwick, AG; Roberts, A; Sims, J. (2000). "The metabolic fate of sucralose in rats". Food Chem Tox 38 (S2): 115–121.
    ^ "Everything You Need to Know About Sucralose". International Food Information Council. 2004-06.