Your First Record...

Options
UpToAnyCool
UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
:laugh: Definitely just for fun:

It's RECORD STORE DAY! What was your first record album purchase?
I don't want to exclude anyone, so everyone feel free to answer, doesn't really have to be your first VINYL purchase per se, just your first music purchase...list format (cassette tape, vinyl, CD, mp3, etc). This should be interesting - very diverse group on here.

I'll start...

45 rpm - Queen: Another One Bites the Dust

For album it was one of these...I can't remember plus my sis and I pooled together our allowance:

12" LP - Thompson Twins: Into the Gap
12" LP - Asia (? the one w/ the Dragon on the cover)
12" LP - Journey: 3scap3

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The Cure can not remeber the album name.oh and it was a casset tape I dont think I ever had a record player
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    The Cure can not remeber the album name.oh and it was a casset tape I dont think I ever had a record player

ooooo nice! could it be the one w/ Primary <== one of my favorite Cure songs! :smooched:
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

ooooo nice! could it be the one w/ Primary <== one of my favorite Cure songs! :smooched:

I think it was it had the song boys dont cry on it.
    The cure was also my first band poster
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My first purchase that I bought for myself, no laughing, but Vanilla Ice, Ice Ice Baby on cassette
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    My first purchase that I bought for myself, no laughing, but Vanilla Ice, Ice Ice Baby on cassette

:laugh: sorry couldnt help it:wink:
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Not sure which one was first so I'll list both.. both vinyl!

Grease Soundtrack
    The Clash - Combat Rock

First cassette tape: Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi

Don't remember my first CD.....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm the youngest of six kids, so I mostly listened to what they had. But my first was Madonna's Like a Virgin, and I got it with a gift certificate I won for a school dance Halloween costume contest in 8th grade.

My first CD was an obscure hair band called Pretty Boy Floyd. And I still love it. :embarassed:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Loved the Cure! Had a college friend introduce me to them - he opened my ears to something other than pop music and I loved him for it.

I can't even remember my first record. We had so many. I remember listening to my mom's record "Shadow Dancing" by Andy Gibb and "Hot Child in the City". Can't remember who sang that one.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Ice, Ice Baby!
  • MrsMills712
    MrsMills712 Posts: 350
    Options
    CD: Ace of Base "Happy Nation" > I remember listening to "The Sign" on repeat. Oh my, lol

I remember owning cassette tapes, but was too young to remember my first one. The CD stuck out to me because it was the first piece of music I bought with my own money.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

LOL.. would have never guessed that. Hey I owned it as well, don' t feel bad!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh....that was so long ago! I believe my first 45 rpm was for my ?? preteen birthday and it was Michael Jackson - don't remember what song. This is fun!!
  • mmaboydwechanged
    Options
    My 1st record was Eddy Grant Electric Avenue it was a single on a 45.
    My second was Fat Boys Big And Beautiful. 33
    3rd Public Enemy Bum Rush The Show. 33
    I still have my second and third album but my mom ran over my eddy grant record with the vacuum and broke it lol.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    For my birthday I got TLC- Crazy, Sexy, Cool. I didn't want it, but ended up loving it. First CD'S I got that I wanted, Garbage and 311.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Herman's Hermits. I was in Okinawa (US Army brat) 1965 or 1966

220px-Hermanhermitsalbum.jpg

Beatles: First 45 I remember in Hawaii :

51olBFIdQ9L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    The first 45s I bought were Let it Be and Hey Jude, by the Beatles. I got them at a church rummage sale. (not quite that old)

My first album was The Bay City Rollers. I'm so ashamed. It was the 70s, though, and I was only about 6 or 7. I didn't know!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    CD: Ace of Base "Happy Nation" > I remember listening to "The Sign" on repeat. Oh my, lol

I remember owning cassette tapes, but was too young to remember my first one. The CD stuck out to me because it was the first piece of music I bought with my own money.

I am also guilty of listening to "the sign" over and over!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    After The Gold Rush/ Neil Young 1970
  • mmaboydwechanged
    Options

I am also guilty of listening to "the sign" over and over!!!

Ace of Base I have that vinyl too :)
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My 1st album I think was Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road". Had lots of 45's 1st one I think was "Beni and the Jets". My 1st casset was either AC/DC or B52's (can't remember which one I bought 1st)