Logging a meal from a restaurant is difficult... Any hints?

Options
Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone can help me with this quandry... I occasionally eat out at restaurants. Often the meals are foreign foods so I can not find them in the usual calorie counter books or on this site, plus every restaurant uses different amounts of oil etc in the cooking. Also, the foods I eat are often so varied for just one meal. So I am wondering how people usually account for such a meal when adding it to their food diary. To get a rough estimate on calories is near impossible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all. J:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Beastiephile
    Options
    When I go out to eat and they don't have nutritional info on the menu or on a website, here's what I do. I don't log the food, and I don't log my workout for the day either. I just use my workout for the day toward what I ate. Since there's no way of accurately guessing how many calories were in the food, I'll just try and burn off however much I can at the gym and not log that exercise.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat and they don't have nutritional info on the menu or on a website, here's what I do. I don't log the food, and I don't log my workout for the day either. I just use my workout for the day toward what I ate. Since there's no way of accurately guessing how many calories were in the food, I'll just try and burn off however much I can at the gym and not log that exercise.

That's a very interesting way to do it. I tend to estimate stuff anyway and not obsess over every single calorie, so I might try this next time I go out.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "Eat this not that - Restaurant Survival Guide" by David Zinczenko

http://www.amazon.com/This-That-Restaurant-Survival-Guide/dp/160529540X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302964503&sr=8-1

It's a great book that covers on how to order healthy in the restaurants and provides calorie information for many foods.

Also, check out other books from "Eat this not that" series by the same author... The Cook this not that and Supermakert survival guide are also great books to have handy at all times