Do you know the difference between a craving and hunger?

Dawntodusk
Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I used to be hungry all the time. But, when I cut out sugar and refined carbs from my diet, I realized that it wasn't hunger that I had been feeling - it was the cravings of a sugar-carb addict.

Now I feel hungry from time to time, but it is not the same feeling at all. It is not insistent. It is like a slow gradual realization that I need to eat rather than a feeling of immediate need.

I now know that I can not successfully manage my diet if I eat any sugar or refined carbs. Even a little will put me at risk to want more. The good news is that I don't want it anymore. I used to make yummy loaves of bread in my breadmaker every morning, and practically finish off the whole loaf myself. I used to have an afternoon pastry every single day. I used to eat more late-night potato chips than I want to admit. Now, I have none of these, and - gratefully - don't want them. And, I don't fool myself into thinking that it's okay to eat them as long as I keep within my caloric limit. No, it's not okay because it will trigger my cravings and eventually they will win - they always do. So I keep them in check by not triggering them at all.

This has been a major breakthrough for me, so I decided to share it in case it helps others.

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    it's good to know yourself. :)
  • Dawntodusk
    You are right about that!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Cravings are intellectual or psychological.

Hunger is physical.
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks for sharing. This is a great point to bring out!
  • Dawntodusk
    Cravings are intellectual or psychological.

Hunger is physical.

Yet they feel so physical!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    This is one of the benefits of a short term 18-24 hour fast. You start to learn what hunger actually feels like because your body has a chance to actually completely digest what you ate before you started fasting. When I started doing a 24 hour fast 1-2 times a week, I realized most of what I felt was not real hunger, but mental things that seemed physical. Very eye opening.
This discussion has been closed.