Weight lifting for toning

Options
I'd love someone to give me some tips on where to start with weights for toning....
I'm doing cardio (dance classes) at lunch a few days a week and Cardio Kickboxing (but it's with gloves, bags, some weights LOTS of squats, push ups etc.not a cardio class) I was told I should add light weights high reps. I need to get my stomach tight and my thighs smaller but loose body fat as well.

Anyway...any suggestions on 3 days of lifting?

If you could tell me something that would work into my normal work outs and kinda like

Day 1:

Day 3:

Day 5

I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    day one: shoulders, biceps and triceps
    day two: legs
    day three: chest and back
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    day one: shoulders, biceps and triceps
    day two: legs
    day three: chest and back

I just don't know what exactly to do.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I can't give you a routine because I use P90X and just follow that. But you can't spot reduce or target burn. You want to work all muscle groups and get all your muscles stronger. This will increase your metabolism for more fat burning during normal activity and even sleeping.

For size: Heavy enough to do 8-10 reps to fail (this mean lose good form - very important). You want those last 3 reps to be very hard)
    For lean muscles: Heavy enough to do12-15 reps to fail.

It's not about light weights and lots of reps but getting them heavy enough to get that burn. This creates little tears in the muscles. They repair and heal and that's what makes them stronger (we are all toned and defined underneath our layer of fat. We just have to burn that off and that is what our body wants to protect. It would rather burn off muscle mass than fat).
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    goalseeker is right.
    day 1 triceps/biceps 3 sets, 15 res per set.
    day 2 legs- 3 sets , 15 reps per set
    day 3 chest and back, again, 3 sets each, 15 reps per set

you can use free weights or machines. 15 reps means less weight but builds up lean muscle which burns fat.
    trainer at gym is the best bet to walk you through machines.

for instance, chest. I'll do bench press, 3 sets 15 reps. Then incline bench press, 3 sets 15 reps, and finally pushups, 3 sets 15 reps per set.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Borrow, or buy Cathe Fredricks toning video...
    watch it & take some notes... if that's your style...
    he replicate the work out at the gym.
    I love how she does arms, abs & back/chest.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Borrow, or buy Cathe Fredricks toning video...
    watch it & take some notes... if that's your style...
    he replicate the work out at the gym.
    I love how she does arms, abs & back/chest.

Hmmm will check it out. thx
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Pick up the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has a great 3 day a week lifting schedule that is challenging and won't bore you. I've had great results with it. Also, skip the pink 5lbs Barbie weights. Heavy weights and low reps. You will not bulk up.
  • Momalicious69
    Options
    I am here my self with same questions, but what I do is lifting w/ weights.... stretch first....
    shoulders -ladders raises, switching arms for one arm front raises, triceps, biceps, shoulder presses..etc
    Abs- crunchies, side kicks with leg out and hand behind head-switching sides, *jack knife-can use ankle weights*, plank,
    *with a yoga ball lay on floor holding the ball lift up and grab with your feet and down and redo lifting feet and grab my hands for 1 rep.*
    thighs-squats legs together than single ones, reverse back legs ones, lunges, curtsy lunges, inter/outer thighs on machine ad at home with yoga ball.
    calf- raises together, singles, extents .
    and pick a cardio for your chosen lenght of time. During the week I choose two of each area of doing 3 sets of 10's or 20's rep's with weights. I am looking for something to help trim up my back, dors..etc.
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump