Leaving your heart rate moniter on After your workout

Options
Has anybody left their heart rate moniter on after your workout to see how many calories you continue to burn? If so, how many calories did you burn?

Replies

• ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have a few times just to see how many I burned.... As to how many I burn, it usually all depends on how high my heart rate was during my workout
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wonder at what point they are not exercise calories but BMR calories..
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I actually do this regularly until my heart rate returns to normal resting (which for me is in the 80's)....That's when I shut off the HRM...I typically burn about 50 extra calories after my workout is complete, since it usually takes approx. 5 minutes for my heart rate to return to a regular resting rhythm...
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I actually do this regularly until my heart rate returns to normal resting (which for me is in the 80's)....That's when I shut off the HRM...I typically burn about 50 extra calories after my workout is complete, since it usually takes approx. 5 minutes for my heart rate to return to a regular resting rhythm...
    concur. Although I don't know if we are right, but for me I leave it on until my HR returns to its normal resting rate, which is in the upper 60s/low 70s. Usually about 5 minutes after I stop the exercise.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I turn mine off as soon as I'm done. Any after burn calories are just bonus for me!
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I do this too - leave it on until my heart rate goes down to almost normal - I also burn about an extra 50 cals. I think that counts!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    HRM's that have chest straps are not designed to work under low stress conditions and will give erratic results and should not be trusted for accurate calorie measurement during normal daily activity guys.

Also, you'll never see a BMR number if you're awake, Just being awake and moving around means you're seeing your AMR (active metabolic rate) as BMR doesn't take into account normal daily function.