cant find my bliss

Terri73
Terri73 Posts: 238
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
I get bored with exercising at home as some days time restricts or too many people about. or i find it easy to just skip for a day or two.(excuses i know but true)
I really cant afford a gym membership and wonder if i'd ever actually use it. Not much self confidence to join a gym as i've never been to one and not sure what they are like as a social place. I also have visions of all these trim buff body working away and me huffing and puffing and being overweight and being laughed at.

I want to exercise but cant find something id be happy with.

In my local town they are opening the gym group its just a no frills gym with all relevant equipment just nothing like spas or pools. and i can book it for a day for a small fee or a £15.99 monthly no contract to be tied into. Really debating about this.

I may book a day and see how i feel from there. And as im giving up smoking the money i will save may go on a proper membership.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,546 Member
    Don't feel like you won't fit in at a gym and most folks won't give a hoot what you look like. But before you buy a membership, give it a try. And give it a true try, go a few times at the time of day you would normally be using it. Is it crowded then, how hard is it to get on the cardio machines and weight stuff? What are the other people like? Different gyms have different clientele so you need to find one that fits you. I'm lucky to live in a metropolitan area with several choices and each one has a different vibe. I'm very comfortable at my YMCA-wide variety of folks who go there from hot young things all the way up to the elderly on walkers. But there is another gym two minutes from my house that I wouldn't be caught dead at-all hot young things, quite the singles scene (and I can say that because I drive by it constantly and see the folks going in and out!). I can not exercise at home because I'm not disciplined enough to ignore all the distractions-my hat is off to those folks who can do it!
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    $15 a day sounds like a lot. My boyfriend pays $10 a month for Planet Fitness, which is where I use to go. Ive never seen where anyone laughed at or really even payed attention to anyone else as far making fun of them or anything. Maybe just picking a gym you'd like to attend and just doing a walk through, to see what other types of people are there!
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    that's how i used to feel! i didn't want to go to the gym to be embarrassed on the treadmill when i cant even run very far or when im sweating after barely doing anything! i felt like people would laugh, but they didnt! they didnt even notice me! :] now i can run a little bit farther every week it seems and i just block those thoughts out of my head. When i see people at the gym that are huffin and puffin i think to myself "good for them (us) for comin to the gym and tryin to get in better shape!"
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Most gyms will let you do a one week trial. Trust me, most gyms are not full of perfectly buff bodies :) You'll be fine. That said, if you don't already, get a subscription to Oxygen Magazine. They have great exercises you can do at home to keep variety in your workouts as well as amazing recipes :)
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    How about i buy a cycle? Maybe my bliss would be outdoors ? My daughter would love to go on bike rides with me too.

I've asked people i know to come with me to a gym (moral support ) but they are either thin already or happy being overweight???? Think i could do it with someone with me
This discussion has been closed.