Uh-oh... NEED FAST HELP!

My mother and father want to go out to eat at Tahoe Joe's. I just know I'm going to go way pver. The thing is, I don't have a choice about going or not. Anybody know good control, or what I should get?

Replies

• My mother and father want to go out to eat at Tahoe Joe's. I just know I'm going to go way pver. The thing is, I don't have a choice about going or not. Anybody know good control, or what I should get?
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    I've never been to Tahoe Joes, but the key to success is planning ahead of time what you're going to order. Look at this:

http://www.tahoejoes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=49&PHPSESSID=2766b5a74fe551591c89cd8ceba82af3

And choose items off the menu that are more health conscious. Maybe try for the grilled bbq chicken entree and opt out of the mashers and get the veggie options instead. Unfortunately they don't list nutritional info, but just try to make sensible decisions :)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Hun my best advice to you is to go out and enjoy the company of your parents. Don’t let worry about what you are going to eat over shadow your even so all you remember about the evening is how or what you ate of didn‘t eat. One meal didn’t make us gain the weight it was all the other meals and over eating all the other days in between that did it to us. I am not saying to just go out and go wild eating anything and everything. What I am saying is go out and order something that you feel comfortable eating and that you will enjoy. I don’t know the place you mentioned so I have no idea as to what to tell you to order. But I do know that your parents wont always be there and we never know when they will leave us so go and just enjoy your evening with your parents. Tomorrow you can get back to your eating plan and you will be fine.
    On thing you can do is have a healthy snack before you go out and that will help to keep you from over eating at meal time.
    Have a good evening and don’t stress about the food.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Doggie bags. :happy: You can be all excited that you get to eat twice at Tahoe Joes!

I lived in So. Lake Tahoe for five years - is this restaurant near Lake Tahoe?? (Now in Seattle).

cm
  • cmriverside
    Cute kitty, Loretta - yours??
  • Loretta_Jo
    Another thing get a to go box and before you even start eating put half of your meal in the box and either eat it tomorrow or give it to someone that would like to have it.
    There are was to handle this so you can have a good time out.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Cute kitty, Loretta - yours??

No that is just another one of my kitty pics that I found on the internet.
    I think it is a cut kitty too. I just love that look on the kitties face :flowerforyou:
  • I agree that you should eat what you want but just with portion control. Remember they always give way more than you should eat at one sitting.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    My mother and father want to go out to eat at Tahoe Joe's. I just know I'm going to go way pver. The thing is, I don't have a choice about going or not. Anybody know good control, or what I should get?

Print out these key words and keep in your wallet. It helps me stay somewhat on track.
    Sat 11/24/07 07:08 PMThey are small words. They can be easy to miss. They slip off your tongue as you order your food, without even knowing what you are saying. Yet they mean the difference between a healthy or unhealthy meal. What are these unassuming potential land mines? "Menu Watch Words" -- and it pays to keep your eye on them.

Going out to eat is a lot of fun. You’re having a good time and you might not always think about what’s best for you. You can avoid the next morning "why did I eat that" hangover by planting a few gentle reminders, well-placed whispers in your ear.

Did you know that consultants travel the country helping restaurants say just the right things on their food menus? Unless you ask the server about the preparation of each item, it’s hard to know for sure what’s really healthy and unhealthy. For example, the word "breaded" can add five times as much fat to your meal as the word "grilled." You can fight back by translating the consultants’ wordcrafting into something useful.

Not all "Menu Watch Words" are bad. When you go out to eat, just go prepared. Know which words to look for and which to avoid. Below is a quick hit list of Green Flag "Safe" and Red Flag "Warning!" food options
    The watch words below are a guide. Still, food items can be very healthy or unhealthy regardless of the use of any of these words. For example, "fat free" food is often packed with sugar and calories to get it to taste better. There are times when these words are used to mislead you (which is why we call them "watch words" and not guarantees). So use this along with your good judgment to steer clear of the bad stuff. More often than not, you’ll end up making a smart decision.

Good luck and keep your eyes open.

GREEN FLAG
    (Potentially Good for You)
    Baked
    Boiled
    Broiled
    Fat free
    Fresh
    Grilled
    High Fiber
    Light
    Marinated
    Multi-grain
    Poached
    Red sauce
    Reduced
    Roasted
    Seasoned
    Steamed
    Stir-Fried
    Vegetarian
    Vinaigrette
    Whole Wheat

RED FLAG
    (Probably Bad for You)
    Au gratin
    Basted
    Battered
    Bearnaise (or hollandaise)
    "Bet you can't finish it"
    Bottomless
    Braised
    Breaded
    Buttery / Buttered
    Casserole
    Cheesy
    Country-style
    Covered
    Creamed / Creamy
    Crispy
    Crunchy
    Escalloped
    Fried / Deep fried
    Giant
    Loaded
    Platter
    Smothered
    Stewed
    Stroganoff
    Stuffed
    Value
    Volcano
    White Sauce
    Quote | Reply
  • Loretta_Jo
    Renee ~
    Thanks for the info.
    Wonderful list of "Flag Words".
    I am printing it out as well.
    I am pron to the massive "Brain Farts" and I do forget things.....A Lot :embarassed:

BTW....The cat pictures I am posting today are my fur babies. :heart: :smile:
  • icandoit
    Renee ~
    Thanks for the info.
    I am pron to the massive "Brain Farts" and I do forget things.....A Lot :embarassed:

Your welcome. Your cats are beautiful.. I will tell you a quick cat story-I have 2 dogs, a German Shep and a ****tier (my husband came up with that) he is a Shih Tzu Terrier mix, and my daughter wants more. We just lost our pug about a month ago. She was dog napped. Anyway, my 3 year old asked for a cat. My husband and son are both allergic, or he went to Walmart and bought a bag of cat food. We put food out everynight, and when she wakes, it' s all gone. So she thinks she has her own cat. She has never seen it, but she thinks it's hers. It works out great!
  • Hun my best advice to you is to go out and enjoy the company of your parents. Don’t let worry about what you are going to eat over shadow your even so all you remember about the evening is how or what you ate of didn‘t eat. One meal didn’t make us gain the weight it was all the other meals and over eating all the other days in between that did it to us. I am not saying to just go out and go wild eating anything and everything. What I am saying is go out and order something that you feel comfortable eating and that you will enjoy. I don’t know the place you mentioned so I have no idea as to what to tell you to order. But I do know that your parents wont always be there and we never know when they will leave us so go and just enjoy your evening with your parents. Tomorrow you can get back to your eating plan and you will be fine.
    On thing you can do is have a healthy snack before you go out and that will help to keep you from over eating at meal time.

I agree with Loretta. I think I have the most troubles with any change in my eating habits when I am obsessing over them. When I am constantly worried about what to eat and when to eat it and how much to eat, that's when I notice that I get burned out and I give up. The easiest way for me to stay focused on the weight loss is to know what is a crazy amount of calories (ie: ranch dressing, which I am hating that I had to give up :cry: ) and what falls into a healthier catagory (ie: honey mustard, still tastes good but MUCH lower in calories). By making those adjustments, I have found that I can still enjoy the things I love just in a different way. And I am not obsessing about what to choose. Knowing what you want to order before you go out will help keep your willpower up! Also, I have started keeping my daily caloric intake way down when I know I am going out that night so that I have some calories in reserve. Good luck tonight! Enjoy this time with your family, they are worth focusing on!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Renee ~
    Thanks for the info.

Your welcome. Your cats are beautiful.. I will tell you a quick cat story-I have 2 dogs, a German Shep and a ****tier (my husband came up with that) he is a Shih Tzu Terrier mix, and my daughter wants more. We just lost our pug about a month ago. She was dog napped. Anyway, my 3 year old asked for a cat. My husband and son are both allergic, or he went to Walmart and bought a bag of cat food. We put food out everynight, and when she wakes, it' s all gone. So she thinks she has her own cat. She has never seen it, but she thinks it's hers. It works out great!

Oh my goodness that is so cute…and funny too. Has she named her kitty? :flowerforyou:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Hun my best advice to you is to go out and enjoy the company of your parents. Don’t let worry about what you are going to eat over shadow your even so all you remember about the evening is how or what you ate of didn‘t eat. One meal didn’t make us gain the weight it was all the other meals and over eating all the other days in between that did it to us. I am not saying to just go out and go wild eating anything and everything. What I am saying is go out and order something that you feel comfortable eating and that you will enjoy. I don’t know the place you mentioned so I have no idea as to what to tell you to order. But I do know that your parents wont always be there and we never know when they will leave us so go and just enjoy your evening with your parents. Tomorrow you can get back to your eating plan and you will be fine.

I agree with Loretta. I think I have the most troubles with any change in my eating habits when I am obsessing over them. When I am constantly worried about what to eat and when to eat it and how much to eat, that's when I notice that I get burned out and I give up. The easiest way for me to stay focused on the weight loss is to know what is a crazy amount of calories (ie: ranch dressing, which I am hating that I had to give up :cry: ) and what falls into a healthier catagory (ie: honey mustard, still tastes good but MUCH lower in calories). By making those adjustments, I have found that I can still enjoy the things I love just in a different way. And I am not obsessing about what to choose. Knowing what you want to order before you go out will help keep your willpower up! Also, I have started keeping my daily caloric intake way down when I know I am going out that night so that I have some calories in reserve. Good luck tonight! Enjoy this time with your family, they are worth focusing on!

Oh boy have I ever given up eating some of my favorite foods. Now I am having to cut some of the healthy foods from my diet as well. Healthy foods that I really enjoyed too. Oh well….I am not going to complain too loudly because things could be a whole lot worse then they are. :flowerforyou:
  • yenn2
    yenn2 Posts: 25
    Icandoit, WHO's eating the CAT FOOD ?!?!?! :sick:
  • thx for the list of words....and goodluck
  • icandoit
    Icandoit, WHO's eating the CAT FOOD ?!?!?! :sick:

The neighborhood cats. I think???
  • icandoit
    Renee ~
    Thanks for the info.

Oh my goodness that is so cute…and funny too. Has she named her kitty? :flowerforyou:

One day it is Karen, and the next is it Pablo, and the next it is another. She changes it up all the time. What ever keeps her happy. We may be buying a house on 2.5 acres, so she will be able to get one of her own then. Outside one.
  • cmriverside

Loretta! Again I missed your photo! Kitties?? Daggonnit! I :heart: kitties.

Cheryl
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    ASK FOR A TO GO BOX BEFORE YOU PUT ONE BITE IN YOUR MOUTH!
    Put 1/2 the meal in the box. At most resturants, that is about what a NORMAL serving SHOULD be.
    This will stop you from mindless eating.
    Then you can enjoy the meal, and your parent company.
    you will also be able to eat a decent lunch at the office the next day.
    Have fun!!!!!
    --Diann...