Why is my daily goal for sodium so high?

Options
Li_Willi
Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
Hello everyone!
So...I'm putting in my info for my goals and these are the numbers that come out:
Your Daily Goal 2,041(cals), 2,500(sodium).

Why is my sodium higher than my calories? Is there anyway I can change this without necessarily changing my weight loss goals?

Replies

• jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    Options
    You can go to

My home
    Goals
    Change Goals
    Check custom - continue

Then you can change sodium levels there. I lowered mine and also changed my protein goal to be higher and carb lower.
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options
    Just eat as little sodium as possible. You don't have to follow all the little goals, just do what works for you (:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I set mine to 2300 which is what Mayo Clinic recommends for people under 40 or 50.

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom

Be careful poking around in there. :)
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That isn't a "goal" persay, just a max limit. It would be awesome if you can stay around 1500/day
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Kilocalories (or calories) and milligrams (sodium) are two completely different types of measurements.

To change a goal, from the "My Home" tab click "Goals" then "Change Goals". I have mine at 1500 mg.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    remember that sodium is MG
    micrograms

this is a completely different measurement to kcals

GDA for sodium/salt is 6grammes, which is 6000MG
    sodium/salt is linked to water retention - if you hvae salt you need lots of water to flush it out of your system

2500MG is NOT 25gramms!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You can go to

My home
    Goals
    Change Goals
    Check custom - continue

Then you can change sodium levels there. I lowered mine and also changed my protein goal to be higher and carb lower.

same here...i found they had my carbs higher than recommended for me
  • nicley21
    nicley21 Posts: 12
    Options
    The RDA for sodium is 2500 mg. However, the American Heart Association only recommends 1500. I try to shoot for less than 1500. :)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    sorry, my RDA above is UK
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The RDA for sodium is 2500 mg. However, the American Heart Association only recommends 1500. I try to shoot for less than 1500. :)
    This is what I have heard as well, it's the newest recommended amount for everyone health issues or not. It's really not hard to keep to if you're not eating processed foods often.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    2500 is the most you should get in a day for anybody. It is like a teaspoon of salt. You do need sodium to function, but not that much. So just stay under that as much as possible. As long as you aren't eating out or any processed foods you should be able to stay under.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....Ok. Thanks so much everybody! Good info/advice! :smile: