Are you ladies worried about becoming bulky if you lift weig

Options
2»

Replies

• jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Couldn't figure out how to quote just one part of a response further above without quoting the whole darn thing!!

As far as lifting heavy, this is what it got me:

In 3 months time, I lost 8.7 lbs and put on 5.2 lbs of lean muscle, all while in a calorie deficit.

I LOVE my sculpted arms and wouldn't have it any other way. I also like the looks I get from the guys when this little 4'11 gal comes a long and lifts the big weights :tongue: Lift heavy, that's my personal motto :wink:
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Couldn't figure out how to quote just one part of a response further above without quoting the whole darn thing!!

In 3 months time, I lost 8.7 lbs and put on 5.2 lbs of lean muscle, all while in a calorie deficit.

I LOVE my sculpted arms and wouldn't have it any other way. I also like the looks I get from the guys when this little 4'11 gal comes a long and lifts the big weights :tongue: Lift heavy, that's my personal motto :wink:

What is heavy for you? I always wondered what weights are considered heavy for a woman... its hard to know if im lifting heavy when the women who mainly use my gym seem to only lift the lightest setting on the machines!! i like to push myself
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    I personally would love after I lose all this extra flub to get some nice definition!!!!
  • jenomaha
    Options

What is heavy for you? I always wondered what weights are considered heavy for a woman... its hard to know if im lifting heavy when the women who mainly use my gym seem to only lift the lightest setting on the machines!! i like to push myself

Of course it's gonna be different for everybody. I weigh between 108-112 lbs, so for me let's see, the lat and row machine I do 90 lbs, deadlifts - 80-90 lb barbell, sumo squats 110-115 barbell, overhead shoulder presses 30lb dbs, I love to do plank rows with 25 lb dbs, hip sled 95-110 lbs. Just some examples.

If you want to do a program on your own, I completed the New Rules of Lifting for Women last year. I saw great strength gains with this program!! It 's all inclusive including weights, cardio (HIIT) and nutrition. I may consider doing it again :)

Hope this helps!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Of course it's gonna be different for everybody. I weigh between 108-112 lbs, so for me let's see, the lat and row machine I do 90 lbs, deadlifts - 80-90 lb barbell, sumo squats 110-115 barbell, overhead shoulder presses 30lb dbs, I love to do plank rows with 25 lb dbs, hip sled 95-110 lbs. Just some examples.

If you want to do a program on your own, I completed the New Rules of Lifting for Women last year. I saw great strength gains with this program!! It 's all inclusive including weights, cardio (HIIT) and nutrition. I may consider doing it again :)

Hope this helps!
    Omg... you really do lift heavy and properly! lol right that makes me look uber girlie .... i only use a bar and discs during body pump and the weights are quite light for the class to do the whole track with... lots and lots of reps! For an example of what i do on the machines ill do the following
    seated row machine ill do 30kg
    leg press 70-75kg
    i could do with seeing a proper personal trainer to help me get better and know what to do if im ever gonna add some real muscle gains
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have been doing strength training for 15 years. I am not bulky at all. I will be 50 next month. I have no flab hanging down on my arms and I am generally toned and firm all over, but still shapely and womanly - not hard like a man at all. I have great definition on my legs, but I'm not sure if that's from the weights or from salsa dancing - probably both. I am currently 10-15 pounds over my ideal weight and have been for 3-4 years, so I have an extra layer of fat all over. When I didn't have this extra fat, I was still not bulky at all. I think I look good, especially for my age but even for someone much younger. Honestly I have a better shape now than I did when I started at 35. Most women my age and even much younger have sags and droops and pouches, etc, but I don't.

Well, I'm not saying all of this to brag - just to demonstrate what strength training can do for a woman's body, and what it doesn't do. I sometimes see women at the gym who look more like men. They must be taking testosterone. I honestly don't know why they want to look like that, but to each her own.
  • jenomaha
    Options

Hope this helps!
    Omg... you really do lift heavy and properly! lol right that makes me look uber girlie .... i only use a bar and discs during body pump and the weights are quite light for the class to do the whole track with... lots and lots of reps! For an example of what i do on the machines ill do the following
    seated row machine ill do 30kg
    leg press 70-75kg
    i could do with seeing a proper personal trainer to help me get better and know what to do if im ever gonna add some real muscle gains

lol!! Well, during those classes you do many reps so it's kinda hard to have good form for all those reps if your weights are too heavy :) I don't always lift that heavy, but when I do, I do lower reps (6-8) and 4-6 sets.