Killer Chili Recipe

Options
droppin_lbs
droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
Hi Gang!

I have made this chili recipe and it is one of the best chilis I've ever had. It is super easy and super healthy! The recipe calls for ground beef but you can sub ground turkey if you like.

Enjoy! :heart:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/three-bean-and-beef-chili-recipe/index.html

Replies

• SiobhanDelaney
    SiobhanDelaney Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there, looks like a delicious diner, only quesiton hi have for you i've not heard of these items, are their substitutes?

1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
    2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotles

Thank you.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi there, looks like a delicious diner, only quesiton hi have for you i've not heard of these items, are their substitutes?

1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
    2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotles

Thank you.

Hello There :)

The chipotle chile and adobo sauce gift the chili with a very smokey and distinctive flavor. I dont know of a substitute for it. You can skip it altogether if you need to. I found this item in my regular grocery store in the Mexican food isle in a smallish can and it is very inexpensive. Best of luck :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good. Just might give it a try today. I can't see where they listed any nutritional info, so I guess I'll have to do some calculations on the fly as I shop for the ingredients. Target for me would be to remain under 150 per serving. I need to save room to add a salad or other items and stay under 300 for the meal.

Definitely thinking turkey instead of beef, adding some other peppers (1 chipotle doesn't sound like enough heat) and being really careful about which beans and tomatoes to buy (the sodium could add up fast if you aren't careful). Might have to reduce carrots a bit to lower calories, but I agree that they would add a good flavor.

I am a big fan of serving chili on a bed of rice or pasta, but those are out these days. Now I will often use a bed of spaghetti squash instead. It works well if the chili or whatever you are topping it with has a powerful flavor.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am making this right now, won't know for a while how it comes out. I opted to finish it in the crockpot. Since I was concerned with calories/fat, I made a couple of changes. Most notably, no olive oil and I used 90/10 ground turkey instead of ground beef. I didn't have any carrots, so I left those out. They probably would have been a good addition, but also would have brought the calories up. I added about a half cup of diced mushrooms, just to add some bulk. I also added a garlic clove just because it seemed right and I have a serious garlic jones. Just because I like it that way, I added one whole minced habanero pepper.

Started by browing everything off in a skillet (using pam instead of olive oil to save calories). Onions, pepper, garlic, habanero and ground turkey. Then I decided to just combine that with the tomatoes, beans, oregano and chipotle/adobe sauce in the crockpot. I will let it cook on high for an hour or two and see how things come out.

Looking back, I wish I would have used less beans since that seems to be the calorie culprit. I could have probably increased the mushrooms to a whole cup and left out one can of beans. Would have saved about 50 cal per serving. I did use low sodium tomatoes and beans so I feel better about that. The calories are kind of high for my liking and I am just approximating 10 servings. I will probably portion it to 12 or 13, just to bring the calories down per serving. I like to stay under 300 per meal whenever I can.

Number of servings = 10

Ingredients
    Private Selection Organic - Diced Tomatoes, 3 1/2 cup (one 28oz can)
    Kroger Private Selection - Tri-Bean Blend - Organic, 3 cams
    Goya - Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce, 3 Tbsp (one pepper and 2 tbspn sauce)
    Shady Brook Farms - Extra Lean Ground Turkey, 16 oz
    Bell Peppers Red - Red Peppers, 1 medium diced
    Generic - Garlic Clove, 1 Clove (3g)
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Generic - Habanero Pepper (one pepper)

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Chol Sodium

Total: 2214 328 8 202 280 3649
    Per Serving: 221 33 1 20 28 365
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of serving chili on a bed of rice or pasta, but those are out these days. Now I will often use a bed of spaghetti squash instead. It works well if the chili or whatever you are topping it with has a powerful flavor.
    I use a bed of spinach and find it's a great sub... I also have been known to mix in 1/3-1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin with my hot and spicy chili to increase the fiber and vitamin count, bump up the volume and make my meal more satisfying and filling. It's a great creamy addition and very low calorie.