So hard to have a perfect balance...

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
This is what my caloric intake looks like today...I was still under my calorie allowance but I went over on everything except the fat. Do you guys pay close attention to this? How do you create a good balance where at least you don't go over so much. I am not too concerned about the fiber because MFP is very low on that. I always like to eat at least 35g of fiber. MFP only suggests 15, at least for today.

1,656 198 136 42 57 3,842
Your Daily Goal: 1,659 165 124 54 15 2,500
Remaining: calories 3 carbs-33 protein-12 fat12 fiber-42 sodium-1,342

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    This is what my caloric intake looks like today...I was still under my calorie allowance but I went over on everything except the fat. Do you guys pay close attention to this? How do you create a good balance where at least you don't go over so much. I am not too concerned about the fiber because MFP is very low on that. I always like to eat at least 35g of fiber. MFP only suggests 15, at least for today.

1,656 198 136 42 57 3,842
    Your Daily Goal: 1,659 165 124 54 15 2,500
    Remaining: calories 3 carbs-33 protein-12 fat12 fiber-42 sodium-1,342
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You're way over on sodium. Cut back on processed foods, cheeses, canned foods, deli meats, etc.

As for carbs, good carbs aren't bad--things like oatmeal, whole wheat, vegis, etc.
  • alf1163
    Options
    The only thing that was high in sodium today was the chicken breast for fajitas already seasoned from the store...the sodium content was pretty high. Even the tuna I had today was low sodium and no other canned foods at all!!!! It is crazy!!! Thank Goodness I don't eat like that everyday but I will be paying closer attention to it...:flowerforyou:

How do you guys balance it out....ideas please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • littlebird
    Options
    Ha! Me too. I can't figure out how to eat calories and protein without carbs! I just started last week, so I'll tell you how I go about this.... struggle (making good choices), search (to find out what foods are best for me)......then EAT and try to do better tomorrow. So far it seems that I can eat an unlimited amount of fish and broccoli and lay off the wine. Joy. :blushing:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    well, lean meats have protein without carbs. Like chicken and suck.

Alf, it looks like you are going lite on the fats. REMEMBER good fat is important too,
    it's just as important as good carbs and protein. Don't skimp on good fat, fats from
    things like beans, nuts, fish, avocados...etc

if you added some foods that have both protein and fats you probably would have evened out some.

for instance, 1 cup of avocado has 21 grams of fat (but about 19 grams of GOOD fat), only about 12 carbs and a nice, 3 grams of protein. along with lots of potassium and a little calcium too.

Good fats are essential to healthy brain fuction, and they keep the cell membranes working right, so don't skimp too much.
  • littlebird
    Options

'scuse me??
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

'scuse me??

yep, look it up. Chicken has no carbs.

here, follow this link.
    http://tinyurl.com/655acx
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options

'scuse me??

here, follow this link.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I think it is supposed to read.... "and such":laugh: :laugh:

I did double take when I first read it.
  • alf1163
    Options

Alf, it looks like you are going lite on the fats. REMEMBER good fat is important too,
    it's just as important as good carbs and protein. Don't skimp on good fat, fats from
    things like beans, nuts, fish, avocados...etc

if you added some foods that have both protein and fats you probably would have evened out some.

for instance, 1 cup of avocado has 21 grams of fat (but about 19 grams of GOOD fat), only about 12 carbs and a nice, 3 grams of protein. along with lots of potassium and a little calcium too.

Good fats are essential to healthy brain fuction, and they keep the cell membranes working right, so don't skimp too much.

Thanks guys!! What kind of beans have fat?? I eat nuts throughout the day starting with my oatmeal in the morning, peanut butter as snack and raw almonds as another snack as needed. My fat ratio is 20% of my caloric intake. Is that too low?? I just steer clear from saturated fats but I am not afraid of eating poly and mono fats...I think I need to do more research on some good combinations. I am really running out of ideas. Today I placed really closed attention to my sodium intake and voila, stayed over a 1000 mg under 2500!!!! Yipee!!! :flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

'scuse me??

here, follow this link.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I think it is supposed to read.... "and such":laugh: :laugh:

Ah, I thought maybe it was supposed to be duck. I thought who eats duck as a staple food?

I did double take when I first read it.