Swelling

Options
Okay, so I do have high blood pressure, but it's been under control for quite a long time with medication. (Hopfully I won't need it soon!) My problem is that my legs, feet and ankles are swelling. They are great in the morning and an hour or so later I can tell that they are different. By the end of the day they are terrible! Like I said, I do have the high blood pressure, but it's been under control. Also, when I am up moving around a lot or after a good workout, it gets much better.

Is anyone else having this problem and should I be worried?!

Replies

• rctrap1
    rctrap1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may have to talk to your doctor and possibly get water pills to help with the swelling. Also, you have to keep your salt intake down.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'd check in with the doctor. Just let him/her know what's up and that you started a weightloss journey and started working out. They may need to adjust your meds or may have suggestions for you.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    That started happening to me at my highest weight. It has subsided immensely since losing a little over 30 lbs. since January 1st. I get a little puffy when I don't drink enough water and eat too much sodium. My feet and ankles still get puffy when it's my TOM but it's MUCH better now. I suspect it will mostly or totally go away with further weight loss.

Best of luck!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. I do that on occasion and my doctor ran some tests and decided ultimately that it is hormone related and is worse during warmer weather for some reason. Funny thing is the mroe water I drink the less I swell. They call mine cyclic edema.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor about this.

You didn't mention how much (if any) weight you've lost, but I have seen some scary posts on these forums from people who didn't tell the doctor they'd lost weight and therefore their medication wasn't adjusted. Their blood pressure got dangerously LOW because it was overcorrecting their BP and a few of them ended up in emergency rooms!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Like everyone said, talk to your doctor. Also try limiting salt intake and try drinking more water, that will keep most extremeties from swelling much.