Trying with no success.

Options
I have been trying to lose a few pounds for the last 3 weeks. I usually have a granola bar for breakfast (I am not a morning person nor a breakfast person), Lunch is usally grilled squash, onions and zucchini. Dinner is grilled veggies and typically shrimp or chicken. I have exercised at least 5 days a week doing aerobics, wii fit plus, yoga and stretching and toning. I am drinking at least 3 liters of water a day, most of the time it is more like 5. Thus far i have gained a pound. I know they say you may gain from exercise but I sure can't see a difference in my clothes either. Very discouraging. Any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• DarthBubbles
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like you may not be eating enough calories.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200 calories + the calories you are burning from exercise and report back in a week - you are in starvation mode.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    You may be right but I would guess my calorie intake would be less than most. I am only 5'1" and at 140 lbs.
  • kiisha_11
    kiisha_11 Posts: 55
    Options
    yeah, It looks like you may not be eating enough calories. You may need to make a bigger breakfast and a smaller lunch and dinner and snack in between.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty much the lowest anyone can go safely...regardless of how small you are. Try upping your calories...trust me it works (AND eat back all/most of your exercise calories) check out my blog in my signature about how this worked for me. If that doesnt work (im 99.9% positive it will assuming you dont eat junk calories) then try increasing the intensity of your work outs.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    Any ideas on what to eat? I don't feel hungry at all. I sure haven't been trying to starve myself.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 30 pounds to lose you should have your diary set for 1 lb per week loss, not 2, and you should eat everything it tells you to, not less. It already builds in a deficit for you, you don't need to create a larger one.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    You may be right but I would guess my calorie intake would be less than most. I am only 5'1" and at 140 lbs.

What is your activity level set at? I would say most people with your stats are still eating 1200+ calories a day.
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I believe she is right. How many calories are you eating? How many calories are you burning? How many calories does MFP say you should net?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on what to eat? I don't feel hungry at all. I sure haven't been trying to starve myself.

you could open your diary so we can see what you ARE eating, that's usually the first step to getting good advice tailored to YOUR needs. :)
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry that usually means your metabolism isn't working hard enough. Unfortunately the only way to fix that is to eat more often. I have a hard time eating lunch for some reason and I've been loving smoothies. I use 1 cup of low fat yogurt, 3/4 a cup of a frozen berry (strawberry, blueberry, whatever), 1 banana, and 2 tbsp. of flax seeds. It comes out to around 400 calories, but if you are exercising, you need it. Plus everything in it is healthy. It's easier for me to drink a smoothie than sit down and eat something.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    I think my activity level is set at LOW. I work 3 jobs and i sit at all of them. Luckily I am able to do some aerobic activity on my hour breaks at my full time job and then things at home the other times. I also have an odd schedule. I usually get up around 11:30 or 12 due to working from 4pm until 2am with an hour drive home. Therefore my breakfast starts around 12:30 or 1pm.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    Sure, how do I do that? I am new here and don't really have a clue.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    Yum! That smoothie sounds good! Thanks
  • officernice
    Options
    I agree, you are not eating enough. I would never have thought that you have to eat to lose but it is true. Eat alot of protein and fiber. It works I promise. Starving your body works opposite of what you want it to. It will show, I promise.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Oh....don't give in......Your doing a great job. Keep it up, give it some time. Make sure to eat the 1200 calories.
    Also make sure to have breakfast, lunch, dinner & 2 snacks. Keeping you body fueled is important. If your not hungry have nuts. High in calories & good for you.

2639362.png
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like you may not be eating enough calories.

you can't gain weight without a calorie surplus. the OP must be eating more calories than they are expending in order to gain weight. either that or they are killing themselves with sodium and keeping water weight, but over the course of 3 weeks i doubt that.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for the advice. I am having a hard time keeping up so please don't think i am ignoring you.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, it doesn't seem like you are eating enough. I also think you are not getting enough protein, based on your original post you are only eating chicken or shrimp at dinner which isn't enough. You should try and have protein with every meal.

I understand the not being a morning / breakfast person... I'm right there with you, but you should try and have a snack mid morning.

I think if you start eating more calories you will notice a difference.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    try this for a few days. overvalue your consumed calories and undervalue your exercise calories. if you think you burnt 500 calories exercising, log 400. if you had a serving of wheat bran, log 1.5 servings, etc. do that for a few days and see if you are still not losing weight.

also, don't consume too much sodium. it is possible your 1 lb gained is temporary water weight. if that is the case, you need to decrease sodium and increase the water you are drinking.