Potassium!?!?!

Options
According to MFP I am supposed to have 3500g of potassium per day. I have yet to meet this goal! I ate 2 bananas and some potato today and I still am under. Why do I need so much? Because I exercise a lot? Do they make potassium supplements? I need help here.....

Replies

• nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Hi
    I know that if "I" don't take potassium, I get horrible leg cramps.
    Yes - they do make a supplement. It should be available anywhere you can buy other vitamins and supplements.
    Grace
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    FYI: it's very hard to meet your potassium because it isn't a nutrient companies and manufacturers are required to list, so it often never makes it to the nutrition listings.

Is there a reason you need to meet the potassium requirement particularly?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I find if I don't get enough Potassium I'll get leg cramps as well. A lot of foods don't say whether or not they contain potassium, so you're probably taking in more than you think. I've found just taking my whey protein after a workout that it contains enough potassium to make a difference.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor before taking a potassium supplement because overdosing is very, very bad. Usually taking a multivitamin should help make up any deficiencies.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I work hard to try to get enough potassium too, to avoid leg pain. BUT it's very important to consult a doctor before taking a potassium suppliment as it can be dangerous. There are a variety of foods that contain potassium. Do some research on the importance of balance between sodium and potassium. Good luck!

Here's a website that lists potassium rich foods...
    http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-rich-foods.html
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    Yes please, do not take any more than a multivitamin without talking to your Doctor. To much potassium can affect the heart in a neg. way.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Glad you guys told me that it can be dangerous! I feel fine and I rarely get leg cramps or anything with the amount I eat right now. The only reason I even think about it is because when I look at my nutrition information I meet every goal (Iron, Vit. A, Vit. C, etc). except the potassium. I guess I figured if it was listing it, it must be important. I do take a multivitamin now and I am eating pretty healthy..... I will skip the supplement. Thanks guys!

I also just read some information on a website posted further up saying that potassium is good for high blood pressure. I was told by the dr. I have low blood pressure... so when I bend over or sit down and then stand back up I get really dizzy unless I do it super super slow!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    One scoop of whey powder has about 350, about 10%. I add it to my oatmeal or yogurt.