New Balance HRM ???

Options
oK, Sooo, moneys tight, but I want a SOMEWHAT reliable HRM. Target has a New Balance HRM that I can easily buy at a store by me. I dont use any credit cards online so I dont want to order online. New Balance seems to have the best reviews for HRMS in my area.... ANyone use this? I know Polar is great and everyone uses them or Garmin, I just dont have the money. Let me know ok? Thanks :D

Replies

• Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? The ones with chest straps are the most accurate from what I've heard. :flowerforyou:
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I dont think it has a chest strap :(
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i have the women's new balance hrm. it's easy to use and if you're looking for something that tracks the basics, bpm, calories and time, then it's a good buy :)
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I dont think it has a chest strap :(

if it's the women's one (white watch) then it does have a chest strap
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    Ill have to take a peek at the contents of what im buying when I go to get it and see if it has a strap. Ive just been looking online. I hope it does now LOL!!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that model but I would certainly do all the research you can online to make sure it does everything you want/need it to do. If all it does is track your HR but doesn't consider your personal settings, height, weight, etc. or tell you calories, you can easily get an app for a smart phone to do just that for free (instant heart rate monitor is a good one for android).

Some I've heard are hard to change the settings on which is important as you lose weight because it will alter your burn rate as you get more fit. Tracking stats you can do manually by recording your exercise, time, cals burned etc. but if you want more in the monitor consider if it allows you to set a target heart rate so you know when and how long you're in your "zone". Mine (Polar FT4) also gives me my average HR and max HR during each exercise logged.

In the end you get what you pay for. It might be worth the wait to save up some money and go with a higher end model. My FT4 was $85 at the local sporting goods store which I felt was a worthwhile investment in getting and keeping me healthy. I figure it's $85 less I hope to spend on medications and doctor visits to treat my back problems.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a a New Balance HRT FIT HRM with pedometer! Works great! Love it! $40.00 at Costco! Been working great since January!
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i just got a MIO heart rate monitor from best buy.AND I LOVE IT... It was a little more spendy than the New Balance.. but then again you get what you pay for. the way I look at it, when investing in something like a HRM i would rather spend a little extra and be sure the product is a good one.. than spend a little less and hope it does the job. Good thing about best buy is that they will price match... I got 10 percent of my HRM with a coupon from ****s Sporting Goods :-) If you are interested in a chest strap, they are more accurate but if you are like me and what to be able to have constant access to your HR or calories burned and such... a chest strap is not the way to go.... unless you get a DUO...( a HRM that can be used with or without the strap) Do your research before you purchase... what do you want in your watch? do you want it to count calories burned, HR, steps, distance, speed, chest strap, timers,back light, touch activation. These are all things to consider before you purchase a HRM. some models have all of these features or just a few.

Hope this helps a little :wink:
  • cfer843625
    Options
    i just got a MIO heart rate monitor from best buy.AND I LOVE IT... It was a little more spendy than the New Balance.. but then again you get what you pay for. the way I look at it, when investing in something like a HRM i would rather spend a little extra and be sure the product is a good one.. than spend a little less and hope it does the job. Good thing about best buy is that they will price match... I got 10 percent of my HRM with a coupon from ****s Sporting Goods :-) If you are interested in a chest strap, they are more accurate but if you are like me and what to be able to have constant access to your HR or calories burned and such... a chest strap is not the way to go.... unless you get a DUO...( a HRM that can be used with or without the strap) Do your research before you purchase... what do you want in your watch? do you want it to count calories burned, HR, steps, distance, speed, chest strap, timers,back light, touch activation. These are all things to consider before you purchase a HRM. some models have all of these features or just a few.

Hope this helps a little :wink:

maybe you can help me with mine!!?? I got the mio motiva petite... thought I had it set right but after my workout it said 0 burned...lol
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    I am bumping this because I want to buy a HRM as well and need the info!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I bought the New Balance N4 HRM designed for women from Target 2 days ago. I've used it for two workouts, and have checked my pulse rate manually numerous times during the day, at rest and while working out. I find it to be accurate, the chest strap is comfortable and while I was disappointed to find that I wasn't burning quite as many calories during my workouts as I had thought I was burning, It's not the monitor's fault. ;-)
    I highly recommend it.
    One caveat.............the monitor *will* jump up to 200+ if you get it too near a laptop, land line phone, electrical lamp, etc.
    Just something to be aware of if you start getting crazy readings.
  • westgre
    westgre Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I bought the New Balance N4 HRM designed for women from Target 2 days ago. I've used it for two workouts, and have checked my pulse rate manually numerous times during the day, at rest and while working out. I find it to be accurate, the chest strap is comfortable and while I was disappointed to find that I wasn't burning quite as many calories during my workouts as I had thought I was burning, It's not the monitor's fault. ;-)
    I highly recommend it.
    One caveat.............the monitor *will* jump up to 200+ if you get it too near a laptop, land line phone, electrical lamp, etc.
    Just something to be aware of if you start getting crazy readings.

Thanks for the review! Can you wear this one while swimming?
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    Im going to look today at Target for their selection. I see that they sell (in the store I go to), Polar, Garmin and New Balance HRM's. ill let u guys know :) thanks
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have this one, the white one with the chest strap. I think it works great. Gives calories burned, average/highest HR, fat% burned , time in zone. Option to save up to 9 workouts. And you enter your height,weight, sex and age to get it started. The chest strap is comfortable, and the actual watch isn't to bulky. I have noticed a few 200+ reads like another poster said, guess it was from me getting to close to my computer during my workout. But overall I'm happy with it.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options

Thanks for the review! Can you wear this one while swimming?

My watch is labeled "water resistant to 50 meters", it does not say that it is waterproof.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I have the hrm fit ( no pedometer) it does what I want but i've noticed over the last 2 days that if i work out hard and there's a bit of sweat on my wrist under the watch part.. then i'm having trouble with it doing a reading. Mildly irritating, but otherwise fine. I only paid $50 for it and have decided to either get the one I want ( when I figure that out) for christmas .. or 100lbs lost.. whichever comes first, lol
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I have one. Bought it at target. Love it. I needed one that gives me calorie count, time, heart rate, target heart rate %. It is easy to use. I have never had problems with it. And it has a chest strap.
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    I have been using the NEw Balance N4 with Chest strap for about a week. I feel like it does give it's best estimate based on my settings and it's formula, there are many variances to the HRM formula. SO keep in mind the reading is a best estimate. Also, the more conditioned you are at a particular exericise the more efficient your body becomes and less calories are burned.

I am a runner and find it useful when I want to stay in my target zone. I got mine at Target for about $60

Good luck. Hope my opinion helps.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... did you put in all your personal information.. weight, height, birthday ect ? Also you need to make sure you have the pedometer turned on. So when you are in the time mode push “set mode” until it beeps. then push “rst” once until you see calories then push the “st/sp” button once so you see the man blinking. that turns the pedometer on.. it only counts calories when the pedometer is on and when you have taken at least 10 consecutive steps. If you are resting for a long period of time it shuts off to conserve the battery.. so you may need to repeat those steps to turn it back on . hope this helps.