Help, I am sick of Salads!!!!

Options
Hey everyone, I need some help!

I have lost 18lbs since January 1st, but I am SO sick of salads for lunch and eggs for breakfast (haven't lost any weight in awhile).

I have some dietary restrictions. I have to try and stay away from gluten as much as possible (if I eat a lot of gluten I am awake all night with horrible stomach pains), I can't have ANY citric foods (oranges, grape fruits, lemons, limes etc).

Does anyone have any nice ideas for breakfast and lunch that will enable me to feel full, and not go over my calorie intake. For dinner I just have meat and usually veggies (lately potatoes as well). I am also not working full time, so I am on a very tight budget.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, you are all keeping me motivated!

Replies

• mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    pf changs has a gluten free menu if you want to hit them up for lunch. take your mfp app with you to make sure you aren't overeating.

for breakfast, try more sausage, bacon, ham. best idea is to cook them with olive oil but watch your portions.

btw, i'm drunk right now so take everything i write with a grain of salt, but i'm TRYING to help out.
  • darrielirwin
    Options
    What is pf? Thanks for the suggestions!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The restaurant is called PF Chang's.
  • mkennedym
    Options
    pf changs is a restaurant. you might be able to find their gluten free recipes somewhere online if you can't go to the restaurant, but if you are a corporate type or have a job away from home during the day, going to eat with them is a good idea.

also, you might want to call local restaurants and see if they offer gluten free menus. if pf changs does, i'm sure others do as well. other than that, check out recipes.com and other websites and look at their gluten free recipes.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    What is pf? Thanks for the suggestions!

PF Chang's is a chain chinese restaurant.
  • my2girlies2029
    Options
    Wwhat about a gluten free cereal in the mornings? Fruit is also good and low fat yogurt as well...

As far as lunch I found the spicy black bean burgers at the grocery store and those are good. Also I eat 98% fat free hot dogs, soup and vegetarian chili... These are only options and I am not sure if you can eat them or not b/c of the gluten issue.

Hope you get more ideas :)
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    you can buy gluten free tortillas and use them to make a bean burrito with your bean of choice heated and mashed, shredded lettuce, tomato, and some fat free sour cream. very yummy and filling and only 270ish calories depending on what kind of bean you use. :)
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    P F CHANGS IS A RESTERAUNT IN CAILF.
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am tickled that mkennedym is drunk right now. B of all, maybe you could try some Mexican options when you're out? Rice, guacamole, and beans, depending on how they're prepared, are usually okay. I usually order fajitas with lots of veggies and go easy on the tortillas. You skip the flour tortillas and/or try corn tortillas instead? Chipotle has a burrito bowl sans tortilla that you can create yourself too. Love their guac!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    pf changs has a gluten free menu if you want to hit them up for lunch. take your mfp app with you to make sure you aren't overeating.

for breakfast, try more sausage, bacon, ham. best idea is to cook them with olive oil but watch your portions.

btw, i'm drunk right now so take everything i write with a grain of salt, but i'm TRYING to help out.

bwuahaah best disclaimer ever!

breakfast:: try turkey bacon, if you want bacon, they have some good gluten free cereal if you like cereal, make some gluten free muffins (if you mix up 3 different kinds and make 2 of each in your muffin pan, and you can refridgerate the batter to make another batch the next week, that way you have a variety)

http://www.food.com/recipes/gluten-free-breakfast

lunch:
    1. Thai Kitchen clearly marks their gluten-free products (not all are gf). Their microwavable Instant Rice Noodle Bowls, Instant Rice Noodle Soup (bring your own bowl), Noodle Carts, or Take Out Meals can be made in minutes in the microwave or with boiling water. If you want a little more substance (and nutrition), add chopped vegetables or meat to the noodle bowl before microwaving. Trader Joe’s sells bags of chopped veggies if you don’t feel like chopping your own.

2. Rice cake turkey melts Take 2 rice cakes, top with cheese and slices of turkey. Put in the microwave or toaster oven until cheese is melted. Eat as is or top with sliced tomatoes, avocado or salsa.

3. Wraps - use gluten free wraps Ideas:
    Turkey sandwich wrap: mayo, mustard, turkey, lettuce/tomato/avocado
    Cream cheese sandwich wrap: cream cheese or non-dairy cream cheese spread, sliced veggies or lunch meat, lettuce/tomato/avocado
    BBQ wrap: grilled chicken or steak, mayo and BBQ sauce (I recommend Daddy Sam’s)
    Hummus wrap: hummus + anything
    Make a burrito or a quesadilla

4. Tamales If you can buy fresh tamales, these are an easy and yummy meal. Tamales come in different varieties, are almost always gluten-free and can be microwaved. Eat them plain or add your own salsa, sour cream or guacamole. I love Primavera tamales from Sonoma, CA, found in Bay Area markets and Whole Foods.

5. Homemade Tex-Mex bowl Rice and beans can be a satisfying meal - take some cooked rice and throw it in a bowl with any kind of canned beans (I like black or pinto), add salsa, meat, olives, peppers, cheese - whatever you like. Take the bowl to work and microwave it all together. Bring tortilla chips to scoop it up.

6. Frozen meals Amy’s Kitchen has a great selection of gluten-free meals, including enchiladas, lasagna, bowls (in case you don’t want to make your own), and even Indian.

7 Quick Quesadilla You probably wouldn’t think of putting lunch meat in a quesadilla, but if you don’t have any grilled chicken or shredded pork on hand, you can use packaged chicken or turkey breast slices or salami. It tastes great! In the morning, assemble corn tortillas with cheese and the lunch meat (don’t put beans or anything else that will make it soggy). Pack a side of salsa, lettuce or any other additions. When it’s time for lunch, just microwave the pre-assembled quesadillas and top with your extras.

8. Array of Appetizers Grab the following out of your frig and cupboards and throw in a bag:
    Carrots, celery, crackers, chips, hummus, peanut butter (or pb alternative butter), cream cheese or ranch dressing, slices of lunch meat, slices of cheese, tuna, and how about some tapenade (olive spread). Spread it all out on a plate, mix & match, and enjoy! Your co-workers might think you are a little strange, but they probably already do anyway.

9. Piece of Pizza If you ever make pizza for dinner, make extra for the next day’s lunch. Making one pizza might be labor-intensive (depending on whether you are using pre-made crusts and how many toppings you are adding), but making a second or third doesn’t add much more work. For lunch, just heat the leftover pieces. Yum.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/08/breakfast-brownies.html
  • NicRiv26
    NicRiv26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello, I notice Chex cearl has no gulten. That will be a nice change, plus it will be filling as well for the fiber. Look at this website hopefully this will help,http://www.livingwithout.com/landing/gluten-free-recipes.html?p=msn_gfr&s=msn_pd&st=ppc.

Good luck. :smile:
  • mkennedym
    Options
    yeah, i'm celebrating (drinking) losing my 20th pound and my body fat being 10%.

science fiction novel idea: how crazy would it be if you could switch bodies with someone for some period of time. think about it. if someone had the mentality to lose weight through exercise and diet, you could switch bodies with them for 6 months, a year, 2 years (you pay them of course) and they could lose all the weight for you while you are in their body doing whatever. i think rich corporate types who don't have a ton of time for diet and exercise would pay top dollar for that kind of service.
  • darrielirwin
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am a supply teacher, so some days I work, and some days I don't. SO when I am at home it is easier to make a easy healthy lunch, but when I am working its not. But all your ideas are great!

I live in Canada, and most stores don't offer gluten free products yet. I have found some gluten free sour cream, and the hard taco shells I buy are also gluten free!

It is good to know that Chex doesn't have gluten, I will have to take a look next week when I go shopping.

Thanks again! :):smile: