fell off the wagon

Options
Oh, man. After almost 8 weeks of doing well on mfp, I really, really bombed today. Starting with hosting an Easter party for my 3yo's friends and families, I ate all day. Scones, sausages, pita chips and hummus, mimosas, candy, chocolate, cupcakes. I had lots of fruit and raw veggies, too. But really? The fact that the food was out just kept me going back again and again and again. How can my will power just plummet like that? Then I went to lunch with all these friends and ordered a reasonable lunch - even though I wasn't hungry. But when tortilla chips came to the table, I couldn't help but dig in again. In the afternoon, it was on to a child's birthday party and AGAIN I indulged - cake, chips, nuts, artichoke dip. I have NO idea how many calories I consumed today! I know I just undid over a week's worth (or more) of counting all my calories, making good choices, and exercising almost daily. The guilt is killing me! Anybody had this experience and been able to get right back on track? I fear how disheartened I will be when I see the results of my actions on the scale. Boo.

Replies

• mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    a day won't kill you. if it bothers you, shave 200 cals off of your normal diet for the next few days and then after that just stay on target. a single speedbump won't slow you down.
  • mkennedym
    Options
    by the way, i went 2000 cals over my diet a week ago and my weight loss continued on as normal like it didn't even happen.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Take it one day at a time and get back on track tomorrow. good luck :)
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ugh- I totally bit it today too! Don't worry get up, dust yourself off and just start fresh tomorrow! ; )
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I splurged for an entire WEEKEND. I went on vacation and decided I was going to eat/drink what I wanted. I was a little scared to get on the scale on monday, but i ended up staying exactly where I was! I think the point is that one day, or even two, isn't going to kill you. It's really not going to change much.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    yes. guilty as charged. I gained a whole pound but guess what? i lsot it in three days. you didnt undo a week or more. you learned a lesson. You will be less likely to repeat this again because you know what it feels like to have to backtrack alittle.
  • my2girlies2029
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day... Just brush off what you ate today and start back again tomorrow. If for some reason the scale moves in the opposite direction just learn from this experience and move on. I am sure everybody has had one of these days and will probably have another in the future.

You can get back on track again :) Good luck!
  • CrankyButt
    Options
    I just had one of these bad days too recently - a potluck at work turned into a gorge fest. Over the last few months I find that I have a really bad day maybe once a month. I think it's a bit inevitable when you're constantly restricting 500 calories each day, especially when you're faced with a ton of food at your fingertips. But when you do the math, one bad day like this doesn't discount all those other days when you're sticking to it.

I don't have a ton to lose, so I've been losing it slowly, but I haven't seen these bad days impede my weight loss. They might make it slow down a bit, but I don't find myself gaining anything besides water weight and it goes away in a few days.

I've learned to accept days like these, and I don't make myself feel guilty about them. Afterwards I definitely want to be healthier and, in the end, that's a great benefit.

Don't dwell on it. Just keep going!
  • DJackson230
    DJackson230 Posts: 306
    Options
    ok boy can I ever relate... Eating is like an addiction, u get one good hit and then its down the hatch for a period of time...
    Seroius, I dont know how healthy this is, but I consider myself like an animal... If I have a big meal or a big day of eating the next day, i have a very small day of eating... like an animal after a big kill, they dont hunt for a day or so... like I said, it works for me...
    Tomorrow will come and u will hve another chance.
  • wilyz
    wilyz Posts: 37
    Options
    You cant gain more than 2 lbs in a day, so dont worry about it
  • crusinforlosin
    Options
    Don't give up :)
  • boldimp
    boldimp Posts: 17
    Options
    I just posted about the same thing... except it's becoming a pattern for me every weekend. Tomorrow is a new day! We can do this!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It happens to us all. I have a sis-in-law that loves to bake and a bro-in-law that makes chocolates like he's freakin' Willy Wonka! So every family function I go to there are mounds of delicious things screaming at me, waving banners, calling my name. It's so hard to resist, or just partake in moderation. But, like everyone has said, you just go one day at a time and work out a little harder the next day. One day isn't the end of the world unless you make it so. :) You'll be ok.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    thats life, ups and downs it will happen, and in a few more weeks you will be that much stronger and will be able to control your eating beiges, the first month and a half is always the hardest in the eating area
  • mkennedym
    Options
    It happens to us all. I have a sis-in-law that loves to bake and a bro-in-law that makes chocolates like he's freakin' Willy Wonka! So every family function I go to there are mounds of delicious things screaming at me, waving banners, calling my name. It's so hard to resist, or just partake in moderation. But, like everyone has said, you just go one day at a time and work out a little harder the next day. One day isn't the end of the world unless you make it so. :) You'll be ok.

skip the next few family functions
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, as long as you pick yourself up and keep going. Learn from why you fell, but don't worry if you fall a few more times... we need practice making mistakes so we can see it coming and learn to not fall.

On a side note, I was feeling good today so I offered myself temptation by walking through the "naughty" aisles at the grocery store. You know, the chips, the cookies, the frozen desserts. It's hard but I managed to walk through every aisle w/o buying bad foods I didn't need. I did impulse buy a 3 lb box of strawberries, which is a totally not a bad food at all. Maybe we all need to practice being tempted in addition to learn to avoid those moments and things that cause use to fall off the wagon.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Today I went to the movies with my family. I fell off to the tune of about 350 calories. But I felt bad too, I just told myself to drink extra water, and remember that it was a hick up you aren't going to be perfect all the time. Now move on and hang on for tomorrow! Thank you for posting, made me know I wasn't alone, and I'm more motivated to get on track tomorrow morning.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Last summer I went camping with my boyfriend and his family. We ate like complete pigs for the entire week AND didn't workout at all. Sure, we walked around while sightseeing, but that isn't anything compared to my normal work out routine. I was terrified to get on the scale when we came home.
    Imagine my shock when I climbed on it and lost 5lbs!

Splurging once in awhile won't kill you. Just don't make it a daily, weekly or even monthly thing. Close the door on today and open a new door tomorrow. :)
  • Mandalicious
    Options
    Thanks so much! This was exactly what I needed to hear. Had a MUCH better day today!:happy:
  • satinchocolatesweetie
    Options
    I too can relate. We went to Olive Garden for lunch. Oh Boy! Bread sticks and Alfredo dipping sauce :( Not a good thing. Tomorrow is a new day. Weekends are SO hard for me!