MFP Book Club -- Wanna Join?

Options
Interested in a book club? Me too! Read on…

Here's the Clif notes:
We’ll read one book a month, selected by a participating member. (This participating member will be chosen by me, on a rotation so everyone has a turn, and notified well in advance.) Meeting up in person isn't feasible, so we will make a thread about the book, with the person who made the book selection doing us the honor of kicking off the discussion of the book. Anyone can participate in the discussion (obviously) but in order to be chosen to select a book to read, you will need to have “joined” the book club by emailing me (I’ll keep a master list).

Specifics:
• Member will be notified on the 1st of the month that they have the honor of making our selection for the following month
o EXAMPLE: On September 1st, I’ll notify the member to make October’s selection
o Member needs to have selection emailed to me as early as possible but no later than the 14th of the month
o Please try to make sure selection is widely available
 If not, it will hurt the discussion thread, having fewer readers

• Thread will be posted on the 15th of each month announcing the following month’s book selection
o EXAMPLE: September 15th, thread will announce October’s reading selection
o This time frame is to allow members time to procure their book

• Thread will be opened on Xth day of each month for book discussion
o
I NEED INPUT ON THIS DATE. How long do we allow for everyone to read before we open discussion? Some people devour books in a day, some in a week, some in a few weeks. THOUGHTS??
 My opinion is to open the discussion thread on the 5th of the month. This gives a few days to read and many days left to discuss. I can be easily persuaded otherwise.
 My other opinion, on second thought, is to open it on the 1st of the month. Enter at your own spoiler risk!
o If the person who has selected that month’s book selection is to open the discussion, they will need to have the book read prior to the thread opening date, or this opening discussion could be first come, first serve

• I’ll serve as admin for the group
o keeping book club membership
 if you so choose, message me your email and I’ll send out a monthly email alert of the selections and notifications when discussion threads are posted
o selecting member to choose book each month
o posting threads for announcement of book selection and discussion room

Thoughts? Any takers? We can start putting things together, albeit a little hastily, for September, or go ahead and plan to begin in October.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Interested in a book club? Me too! Read on…

Here's the Clif notes:
    We’ll read one book a month, selected by a participating member. (This participating member will be chosen by me, on a rotation so everyone has a turn, and notified well in advance.) Meeting up in person isn't feasible, so we will make a thread about the book, with the person who made the book selection doing us the honor of kicking off the discussion of the book. Anyone can participate in the discussion (obviously) but in order to be chosen to select a book to read, you will need to have “joined” the book club by emailing me (I’ll keep a master list).

Specifics:
    • Member will be notified on the 1st of the month that they have the honor of making our selection for the following month
    o EXAMPLE: On September 1st, I’ll notify the member to make October’s selection
    o Member needs to have selection emailed to me as early as possible but no later than the 14th of the month
    o Please try to make sure selection is widely available
     If not, it will hurt the discussion thread, having fewer readers

• Thread will be posted on the 15th of each month announcing the following month’s book selection
    o EXAMPLE: September 15th, thread will announce October’s reading selection
    o This time frame is to allow members time to procure their book

• Thread will be opened on Xth day of each month for book discussion
    o
    I NEED INPUT ON THIS DATE. How long do we allow for everyone to read before we open discussion? Some people devour books in a day, some in a week, some in a few weeks. THOUGHTS??
     My opinion is to open the discussion thread on the 5th of the month. This gives a few days to read and many days left to discuss. I can be easily persuaded otherwise.
     My other opinion, on second thought, is to open it on the 1st of the month. Enter at your own spoiler risk!
    o If the person who has selected that month’s book selection is to open the discussion, they will need to have the book read prior to the thread opening date, or this opening discussion could be first come, first serve

• I’ll serve as admin for the group
    o keeping book club membership
     if you so choose, message me your email and I’ll send out a monthly email alert of the selections and notifications when discussion threads are posted
    o selecting member to choose book each month
    o posting threads for announcement of book selection and discussion room

Thoughts? Any takers? We can start putting things together, albeit a little hastily, for September, or go ahead and plan to begin in October.
  • honeybunchthree
    honeybunchthree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would like to join.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Depending on the book I would love to join. I am not sure how to send an email though here though. I think we should start his month though, I have been needing a good book to read.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    i'll join
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    I want to do this for sure. I love to read!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    Awesome! count me in for sure!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    BUMP
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You know I'm in!!! :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :glasses:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • dothompson
    Options
    How about Stephen King's "Thinner"?:laugh:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah - me too.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    How about Stephen King's "Thinner"?:laugh:

OMG!! I used to worship Stephen King (the old classics - not the new crap he is wringing out - IMHO)...I remember "Thinner" - just goes to show that too much of a good thing is, well, NOT a good thing :laugh: :laugh:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Add me too. (I hope they have pictures!!!)
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I am in.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • MChandler
    Options
    Can I join? This sounds fun.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Im in for sure!!!!!

jackie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Gotta laptop issue, but once I get to Best Buy and get this resolved (TONIGHT!!), I hope to get the MFP Book Club started.

Please standby for more information!!
  • dothompson
    Options
    Has this started yet? I'm concerned that I missed it while I was on vacation.