healthier tuna casserole

Options
Ok so we really love making casseroles at my house, especially tuna casserole, and many times they end up high in fat and really high in sodium. I have tried lighter versions of cream of mushroom or other cream soups, i have tried the lower sodium ones, and a few other types. They are not usually too bad if I keep it to a small serving size, but I am always looking for a way to make them healthier.

Today I decided to try putting tofu in the blender with a little bit of soy milk, you could use any type of milk you have, and add a bunch of spices such as garlic, onion, cummin, pepper, italian seasoning, other hot sauce, and any other seasonings you like that are lower in sodium than the soup.
I usually put in fresh mushrooms, but today I only had canned mushrooms so I put a few in to make up for the mushrooms that were not in the soup.

My husband was really leary of this, so I put in one can of soup and added this for the other can. It turned out sooo well that I am sure that if you put in enough seasonings, you could use the tofu instead of soup and not even really notice.

I am sooo excited to do it this way next time without any soup, adding fresh mushrooms, broccoli, and pease, tuna, whole wheat pasta, and then I wont feel so bad about the cheese that I cant leave off the top. YUMMM

Replies

• fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love tuna noodle casserole! this sounds really good, let me know how the one turns out with the tofu and soy only! :flowerforyou: