Vegetarian food to bring on airplane

Options
tititran
tititran Posts: 16
Hi everyone! So in 3 weeks i am going to head back to my home country, but before I get there I have to endure an 23 hours flight with 2 transits in between. The longest flight is around 15-16 hours. I am a vegetarian and I really really hate airplane food ( even though sometimes they are actually quite good ). I'm trying to make a list of food/ snack I can bring on the plane with me and eat as a meal or snacks. What I am looking for is food with high protein if possible, low carb unless it is whole grain, and low fat please :)

Some of my current ideas are: boiled egg, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, quinoa salad, bean salad, oatmeal. But these are just snacks, I think I need a real meal that I can have cold or just add hot water.

Thank you so much! And just a question, which is your favourite/ usual food to bring on the airplane ? Also keep in mind that I can't bring any liquid, gel, mousse more than 3oz on an airplane. :D Let's get creative !

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Wait are you allowed to bring those on a plane anymore? Everyone is allergic to peanuts now. lol
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    As far as I know if it is not liquid and not opened up for example the nuts or chocolate boxes or it is in a can you can bring even cooked food to the plane. I heard from a women that some of the bigger store close the cans for a bit of money, so you can cook for your self and bring it, just have to figure out which company does that. I would try walmart, target, safeway and other stores. Which country are you from? I am from Europe, maybe we are from the same continent :P Have a nice flight!
  • meowmx
    meowmx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do the airlines offer milk on the plane? You could bring whole grain or multigrain cereal with you. Kashi brand cereals are some of my favs. You could even add almonds and/or dried berries.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Maybe try making a special request to the airline. My sis and I have special ordered vegetable pita sandwiches and rye crackers. It's awesome.

If they can't accomodate, I like the cereal idea (provided there's milk), but oatmeal might count as a liquid? Granola bars (Balance and Clif are my faves) are good. I've purchased sushi and vegetable sandwiches at the airport (pretty good but expensive) and taken them on the plane.

This is a hard one! Good luck!
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    do planes not have vegetarian meal options? come on airlines!! this is 2011!

or do they just suck? xD

i always end up taking my own food because the kosher options are horrible and usually very old because people rarely order them yuuuuuck

you could probably take your own instant oatmeal and ask the stewardess for a glass of warm milk

other than that you might be stuck with healthy snacks. the egg was a good idea, you could even take a few of them and mash them up with some hummus (or mayo if that floats your boat) so you can have an egg salad sandwich

now that covers breakfast and lunch what about dinner...

you could take a packet of miso soup mix, high on sodium but low on calories and ask them for a cup of hot water. you can also put dried seaweed in it or bring along your own sushi for some asian fare

besides that in the international section of your grocery store there are a few pad thai and indian type "just add hot water" options.
  • tititran
    tititran Posts: 16
    Options
    @Crystal: You can actually bring roasted peanuts on the airplane, but the risk of having other people who is allergic to the nut is high, so I am not bringing them. I don't like them anyways.

@naskedat: yes I have ordered a vege meal, but this is my first time requesting so I am a little nervous. I think I am making my own kim bap ( korean rice roll with flavoured and cook fillings ). You can bring oatmeal definitely, in dry form.

@strapple: they do have that option. I picked it, just not really confident to give my entire food option to the airline. Oooh and the just add hot water sounds good. I have never saw them but I will definitely look out for them next time. :D I am bringing some grain salad as well.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Keep them coming :P