Chicken Wing Substitute?????

lalalalyndsey
lalalalyndsey Posts: 565
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So, I love chicken wings and I had them tonight for dinner... and (this is really embarassing) I ended going over my cals by over 1000!!!!!! I knew they were bad, but since it was chicken I didn't think it was THAT bad!!! Anyone have ideas for healthy chicken wings??? I think it was probably the sauce, but I really don't know. Any thoughts?!

Replies

• Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    I'd say most sauce on the wings contain a ton of butter. And also, sadly, the skin contains alot of the fat.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Most places fry chicken wings. If you removed the skin and baked them instead, I think you would lower the calories but quite a bit. I've seen recipes for them on sites like skinnytaste.com!
  • I guess I should have said they were buffalo wings... and they were baked... removing the skin is a good idea though! Thanks!
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    are there any vegan alternatives? usually that cuts calories down hardcore
    you could try boneless all white meat grilled strips instead

because if its wing sauce that gets you going you could probably jimmyrig yourself some great tasting vegetable/light meat alternatives doused in that sauce

when i want chicken wings i usually just eat celery with nonfat ranch and sprinkle a little wingsauce on it
    since celery and ranch go with it...im kind of tricking myself

or i take boneless white meat strips meant for salad and mix them with a chicken wing sauce
    http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=chicken wing sauce
    you can find some here
    i usually replace high fat ingredients for low fat alternatives
  • are there any vegan alternatives? usually that cuts calories down hardcore
    you could try boneless all white meat grilled strips instead

because if its wing sauce that gets you going you could probably jimmyrig yourself some great tasting vegetable/light meat alternatives doused in that sauce

when i want chicken wings i usually just eat celery with nonfat ranch and sprinkle a little wingsauce on it
    since celery and ranch go with it...im kind of tricking myself

or i take boneless white meat strips meant for salad and mix them with a chicken wing sauce
    http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=chicken wing sauce
    you can find some here
    i usually replace high fat ingredients for low fat alternatives

Good idea!! I dunno how I feel about strips instead of actual wings, but I'll try it!! Btw... how long have you been vegan for? I've been thinking about going veggie... I dunno if I could go full vegan though. Props to you! :)
  • speednut
    speednut Posts: 82
    Morningstar makes some spicy buffalo wings. They are in frozen section of grocery store. You might also try making boneless wings out of skinless chicken breasts baked in oven. Have homemade sauce on them with no butter, add celery and low fat ranch dressing to dip in.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    I usually get these preseasoned ones and then grill them. So, I'd say take some wings, take skin off if you want, rub them with cumin, pepper flakes, cajun seasonings maybe. Even put some hot sauce and let them sit for a while, then pop them on the grill or bake/broil them. I use light ranch and it's yummy.
  • One of my good friends is a dietician. We watched the Superbowl with her family this year and she made some awesome wing alternatives which I have been making at home ever since. They key to them is Ken's Steakhouse Buffalo Wing Sauce. It is nearly fat free and like 10 calories per serving (with a little bit of a kick). Cube up boneless/skinless chicken breasts and marinate them in the sauce for a few hours and then bake in the oven. A little sauce goes a long way. A large serving is really low in fat and calories and proves very satisfying. I make extra and freeze it in single servings to have with salads or wraps.

As an extra treat, I make some low fat blue cheese dressing to have on the side. I used a 1/2 cup of non-fat greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fat free sour cream and 2 Tablespoons of low fat Hellmans mayonaise mixed with 2 oz of good blue cheese, garlic powder and lots of fresh cracked pepper. What a treat!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    I guess I should have said they were buffalo wings... and they were baked...

BLASPHEMY! Buffalo wings, TRUE Buffalo wings are not baked. They are crispy morsels of fiery grease that should be consumed EXTREMELY sparingly, but please never claim that "Buffalo" wings are baked. Or have spices sprinkled on them. While both may be called simply "Wings", they are not of the Buffalo variety.

Buffalo wings are deep fried ultra crispy. They are laid out on paper towels to drain. The skin gets uber-dry at this point. You make a fifty/fifty sauce from hot sauce and margarine or butter and toss the wings in it. The dry skin absorbs the sauce and THESE are Buffalo wings. :-D

Now, where were we? Oh, healthy alternatives, right. Well Frank's Red Hot, while high in sodium, is nearly zero calories. Bake some skinless chicken and douse with Frank's. Side of celery. NO Blue cheese. You could also make some slaw with low cal mayo...but please - don't call this Buffalo Chicken. X-D
  • The morningstar farms buffalo wings (vegetarian) are actually really tasty! 200 calories and 8 grams of fat in 5 "wings"
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    I just grabbed my husband and read that part about "Buffalo Wings" and "baked" and his eyes went HUGE and his jaw dropped. X-D
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    I smoke my wings. I soak them overnight in a spicy marinade, then I throw them on the smoker for about an hour. I then shove them in the oven under the broiler for about 5-7 minutes to crisp them up.

In the meantime, I take the marinade (yes, the same that the raw chicken was in) and bring it to a boil, then simmer and reduce it to a thicker consistency. I coat the wings with this after I pull them from the broiler.

I sometimes add butter, sometimes I don't. The natural oils from the chicken will hold the sauce and spices on just as well.

Note: Marinade has no more or no less bacteria than the raw chicken does before cooking....if you can cook the germs off the chicken, you can also cook the germs off the marinade. (This was for all who would say that my method is unsafe)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Boneless skinless Chicken wings with sauce on the side. Use chicken thigh meat, bake and cut into smaller portion. The chicken thigh meat has the same flavor and moistness as wings. It's a little better.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    I'm what I call a reluctant vegan, meaning it's all because of the many digestive disorders I have. I do splurge often on white meat or fat free cheeses but you'd see me eat meat before dairy any day

anyways I had a revelation while I was asleep! you could put the boneless strips on a stick and grill them on thr sauce that way you have something you can eat it off of like a bone! ;}
  • I guess I should have said they were buffalo wings... and they were baked...

BLASPHEMY! Buffalo wings, TRUE Buffalo wings are not baked. They are crispy morsels of fiery grease that should be consumed EXTREMELY sparingly, but please never claim that "Buffalo" wings are baked. Or have spices sprinkled on them. While both may be called simply "Wings", they are not of the Buffalo variety.

Buffalo wings are deep fried ultra crispy. They are laid out on paper towels to drain. The skin gets uber-dry at this point. You make a fifty/fifty sauce from hot sauce and margarine or butter and toss the wings in it. The dry skin absorbs the sauce and THESE are Buffalo wings. :-D

Now, where were we? Oh, healthy alternatives, right. Well Frank's Red Hot, while high in sodium, is nearly zero calories. Bake some skinless chicken and douse with Frank's. Side of celery. NO Blue cheese. You could also make some slaw with low cal mayo...but please - don't call this Buffalo Chicken. X-D

Wow... you must be the buffalo wing expert... sorry to offend you with my "baked buffalo wings", BUT I will continue to call them baked and buffalo wings if I please...
  • I'm what I call a reluctant vegan, meaning it's all because of the many digestive disorders I have. I do splurge often on white meat or fat free cheeses but you'd see me eat meat before dairy any day

anyways I had a revelation while I was asleep! you could put the boneless strips on a stick and grill them on thr sauce that way you have something you can eat it off of like a bone! ;}

Oh i see... well still... props to you!

AND good idea!! NOM NOM NOM. I'm getting hungry...
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    My husband & I love buffalo wings. Honestly we could each eat a plate full by ourselves... which is really bad, considering that most buffalo sauce is just a combination of butter & hot sauce.. now I need to find a recipe that tastes good without the butter! I don't mind baking them though... I think I'll try baking boneless skinless chicken strips next time.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I guess I should have said they were buffalo wings... and they were baked...

Wow... you must be the buffalo wing expert... sorry to offend you with my "baked buffalo wings", BUT I will continue to call them baked and buffalo wings if I please...

I'm just going to stick my nose in and say that I don't think she was actually offended. I think it was mostly tongue in cheek.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    I bought some buffalo sauce at Harry & David's and just used it with chicken breast strips that I cooked in a George Foreman grill. The sauce had pretty good nutrition numbers and was really good!
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    When I make them at home I boil the wing first and peel off the skin and fat. Then I fry them up on the stove with A LITTLE oil or I've even used the fat free spray. Next I mix my own sauce (3 parts Franks Red Hot to 1 part butter and a dash of worcestershire), dump it over the wings, mix well and bake for about 20 minutes.

They're time intensive, but much less fattening than the ones in grocery store or restaurant.
This discussion has been closed.