Who loves 2-wheels?

Options
2»

Replies

• p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Options
    For my 21th birthday I want a motorcycle as a present to myself. I have always loved bikes..
    btw, your motorcycle looks amazing

Thank you very much, have you taken the motorcycle safety course yet? I'd highly recommend it. Any brand/style you like most?
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    Right here, dude! Been riding for 23 years - dirt, sport, dual sport. That's my KTM 950 Adventure below, I also have a KTM dirt bike, a Triumph Speed Triple, an old Kawi street bike and a Can Am Spyder (for the wife to ride). I love long, multi week rides into Mexico, Baja or places off the beaten path. Can't get enough...

Sound like fun, I'm sure that KTM is alot of fun too. I'd love to take alternate routes off the highway. How sweet would that be, I'd say you've been a bit more adventerous than I.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    I love 2 wheels!!!!:glasses: My husband and I try to ride as much as we can--sometimes hard to do with 3 children--but we manage to get away once in while. We like to ride with other couples from our church. Right now we have a Honda 1300, but we are considering a Harley Davidson Fat Boy. We have been looking at them pretty hard!! After seeing the movie "Wild Hogs", our group from church who rides together thought we should have a name--one of the gals came up with "The Shepherd's Flock" and she drew a pix of a sheep with a cross tattoo on its arm and a biker vest on. We don't use it, but it was a good laugh:laugh:

I understand how children can inhibit riding, I had 37,000 miles on my bike 2.5 years ago when my son came to stay with me. 2.5 years later I have 38,800 so he has slowed me down, but it was worth it. I started a motorcycle ministry in my area and I'm in the process of completing the logo (on my 3rd attempt), patch, and all documents. Then I'll have to get started on the website, so I'll have my work cut out for me. Keep riding for Christ!!!!!!
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: LOVE TO RIDE :heart: :heart: :heart:

I dated a guy for a while that had a Harley and loved it!!! And MISS it!!! :cry:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know exactly the roads you're talking about. I live in the NE corner of SC with NC and GA borders less than an hour away. It's common in the fall to see hundreds of motorcycles on any given day up in the mountains.

FWIW, SC doesn't exempt you from the riding portion of the motorcycle license test like some states. I went a few days ago and got my learner's permit but I'll have to go back after the MSF course to take the practical portion.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    I rode when I lived in HI and I haven't missed it for a long time. I recently started looking at bikes again and checking on the MSF courses in my area. When I mentioned it to my wife, she almost had a stroke.

She has changed the common axiom to this one: It's not if you get killed on a motorcycle, but when.

I'm still planning on taking the course but it could be a while before I get the bike.

I understand her concern, but if everyone died when flying on commercial airliners who would buy a plane ticket. Anyone (no matter how good they are) can go down, first I pray and secondly I ride sensibly and defensively. I wasn't always the case when I was doing 175 mph at night on a two lane highway in deer country (Thank God for grace & mercy). Keep softening her up, eventually she'll give in or it's going to be rough for you bro. :)
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    I rode when I lived in HI and I haven't missed it for a long time. I recently started looking at bikes again and checking on the MSF courses in my area. When I mentioned it to my wife, she almost had a stroke.

She has changed the common axiom to this one: It's not if you get killed on a motorcycle, but when.

I'm still planning on taking the course but it could be a while before I get the bike.

I understand her concern, but if everyone died when flying on commercial airliners who would buy a plane ticket. Anyone (no matter how good they are) can go down, first I pray and secondly I ride sensibly and defensively. I wasn't always the case when I was doing 175 mph at night on a two lane highway in deer country (Thank God for grace & mercy). Keep softening her up, eventually she'll give in or it's going to be rough for you bro. :)
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    I love to ride. I haven’t ridden in a long time. I started out with a motocross bike and then went to street. I don’t like the crotch rockets (for myself) I am more of a cruiser kind of gal. I love the sound coming from the pipes! I’ve wanted to get a bike again but it’s not a wise thing for me to do at the moment since my kids are still young and I am the taxi driver. I’ve tossed around the thought of getting a side car. The kids love to ride. My oldest used to ride motocross when she was little. I have to agree there is nothing like the freedom one feeling while on a bike!

I agree with the freedom and again I can understand how children can through a "good" monkey wrench in riding time LOL.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    I rode for years. Started out on a Suzuki 450L, then got a Honda Nighthawk 450, then a Honda Nighthawk 750, then a Kawa EX500, then another Kawa EX500.

I gave it up after over 20 years of riding. I had two crashes.

First one, a bicyclist pulled in front of me--He was ok, I completely destroyed my rotator cuff. Shredded all 4 muscles and ripped them from the bone. Two surgeries and 5 years later and still not right.

Next one, I was at a stop sign when a guy in a Chevy Yukon cut the corner and slammed into me head-on. I ended up under his front bumper. Let me tell you, there is absolutely nothing more frightening then seeing a Yukon coming straight at you when you're on a motorcycle! e021.gif

I actually walked away from that with nothing more than some bruises and a VERY sore body for about 2 weeks.

BUT, I figured that since the things I was becoming involved in accidents with seemed to be increasing in size exponentially, I'd hang up my helmet before the next thing I hit/or got hit by was a semi or a train!

My DH still rides though--right now, he's got a Kawa KLR650.

Wow, sounds scary. I can't say I too wouldn't have hung it up after those 2 incidents. I'm glad your here to tell the story though, very fortunate.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    OMG!! There is nothing better than a Sunday afternoon ride. My boyfriend used to devote his entire life to his Harley, then got tired of the lifestyle and got rid of the bike. I'm trying really hard to talk him into getting another one, but haven't had much luck. He's become "no we can't do that, it's too dangerous" kind of person now....UGH!

Keep drilling him he'll crack, it's in his blood, he can't resist....at least I can't!!!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    me me!!! oh I love two wheels!!!! ..........:drinker:

we dont' have one now but are looking at a few we like...:bigsmile:

hugs!
    Ali

Happy hunting, it'll happen soon!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to ride again! I loved it!
    Now I'm sad... lol
  • IrishRosebud
    Options
    I love to ride. I haven’t ridden in a long time. I started out with a motocross bike and then went to street. I don’t like the crotch rockets (for myself) I am more of a cruiser kind of gal. I love the sound coming from the pipes! I’ve wanted to get a bike again but it’s not a wise thing for me to do at the moment since my kids are still young and I am the taxi driver. I’ve tossed around the thought of getting a side car. The kids love to ride. My oldest used to ride motocross when she was little. I have to agree there is nothing like the freedom one feeling while on a bike!

I agree with the freedom and again I can understand how children can through a "good" monkey wrench in riding time LOL.

My kids are asking me to get a bike. LOL They love to ride. We live in Michigan so to me the riding season is short and not worth the added expense at the moment. If gas prices go much higher then I'll consider it more seriously, or get a horse and buggy!!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    I know exactly the roads you're talking about. I live in the NE corner of SC with NC and GA borders less than an hour away. It's common in the fall to see hundreds of motorcycles on any given day up in the mountains.

FWIW, SC doesn't exempt you from the riding portion of the motorcycle license test like some states. I went a few days ago and got my learner's permit but I'll have to go back after the MSF course to take the practical portion.

Wow, that stinks! When did they change it?
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: LOVE TO RIDE :heart: :heart: :heart:

I dated a guy for a while that had a Harley and loved it!!! And MISS it!!! :cry:

My girlfriend has the best of both worlds, she can rider hers and with me so she's got it pretty good right now. I know many ex-rider girlfriends that speak often of how much they miss the 2-wheeled adventures.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't know when it changed but they make it very clear in the MSF course materials.

I'm already a commercial helicopter and private airplane pilot. I'm currently working on my instrument rating and going for my helicopter instructor's license before next summer. She says that, for the most part, she only has to worry about the mechanical aspects since she respects my skills and judgment. On a motorcycle, she's worried that somebody isn't going to see me and end up killing me.

I dropped one in a slow-speed turn in HI. I leaned too aggressively and there was sand on the road from a recent construction project. You can imagine the rest. I was wearing full gear and only ended up with a stiff knee for a few days and torn jeans.

I'm much older and more conservative now so I don't doubt that I would be a much safer rider. I'll keep dropping hints and see where it goes from there.