help!! I need to start exercising

kryscas
kryscas Posts: 43 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone,

So far I have lost 46 pounds since January with the help of following a nutritious, vegetarian lifestyle. I wouldn't call myself active at all,although I do find myself walking more and have worked out a few times but hardly enough. I'm thinking it's time I start taking exercising seriously but I don't even know where to begin........ Heeeeeeelp!!!!!!! :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    slow and work your way up. It's more about motivation. I don't have it either.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I think the best thing for beginners to start with is the www.c25k.com workout. This will help you get some endurance for when you want to move on to more difficult programs. If you want some strength training, check out www.hundredpushups.com. Best part of both, they're free!
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Hey,

Well done on your tremendous success.Why not just carry on walking,increasing the distance and pace at regular intervals.Build up a few routes to take,that way you can tailor it to your daily commitments.I have walked daily for the last three months and have seen dramatic changes in stamina,body shape and muscle tone.

Real good luck going forward.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    This is a workout someone gave me. I can't do jumping jacks since I have a bad back. I jog in place or you could march in place too.

http://www.nowloss.com/workout-to-get-ripped-at-home-in-10-minutes.htm

Otherwise look on youtube.com there are some workouts on there.
  • Wow..that much weight loss with no excerise is great!!! Although changing your diet is a great step, excercise is key to cardio health and keeping the weight off which I am sure you know. No body can motivate you to excerise, its something you must want to do to be successfull, otherwise you wont stay consistant with it.

The only advice I can give you is to start small but do it every day until you develop the habit..which takes about three weeks. If you are not used to cardio excercise...walk on a treadmill for about 15 - 20 mins everyday...nothing that causes labor, just long enough to get your muscles working. Once your used to it, slowly increase the amount of time you spend doing cardio until you get your time up to 45 - 60 mins. YOu dont have to do this everyday at this point, 3 - 4 days a week is recommended but feel free to go as often as your comfortable with...just be cautious that you dont burn out.

I've been told that the first 15 -20 mins of cardio do not burn fat so every min you spend after that will help with weight loss but anything you do at first should show results if you are not working out. Eventually, you can work in resistance training if you choose which is the final key to weight loss and keeping it off.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
  • kryscas
    kryscas Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! It's something I really need to do as my entire objective here is to become healthy - the weight loss is an awesome side effect.. trust me... LOL. And how can I truly become healthy if I am not active? Granted, I don't expect to become an elite athlete competing for Team Canada in the next Olympics...but, daily activity is important and I need to get off my bum and make it an everyday habit!

Thanks again!! :)
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    I think the best thing for beginners to start with is the www.c25k.com workout. This will help you get some endurance for when you want to move on to more difficult programs. If you want some strength training, check out www.hundredpushups.com. Best part of both, they're free!

Thanks for sharing that web site! I've been looking for something like that and it will be a great mother/son challenge. Now I wish I'd waited another day before spending money on a DVD I'll probably never use.
  • purpl3sox
    purpl3sox Posts: 38
    Another option is finding an exercise class that you go to a few times a week. Something you find fun. I like yoga, so I took a yoga class, after that I thought maybe a martial art so I took a Judo class, then I thought "climbing is a really good workout" so I took a rock climbing class. You could also swim, bike, hike, kayak, jog, walk, dance, or whatever else gets you moving and happy. Good music is also a key to a good workout, something that you love and can get lost in when the work starts to get hard. I am down 20lbs since I started my weight loss journey in January, and what really got that going was exercise. I like things that dont seem like exercise while I am doing them and that I look forward to going to. Once you start finding ways to workout that make you smile, it becomes less about the work and more about the people and the fun.

good luck, you are doing amazingly well
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    An easy way to start (that costs nothing) is to just walk- walk around your house or your neighborhood, then slowly increase your distance and/or speed. You could also invest in some 3 and 5 pound weights to start toning. Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.