What to do

Options
JellyJaks
JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
We live in a low income apartment and we recently got some new neighbors in the apartment above us. They have been AWFUL since they moved in. Dad must have little d**k syndrome because I can hear him screaming obscenities and smacking the kids and his wife...Mom has major anal retentive issues since she actually vacuum 8 TIMES a day...I've got OCD and even I find that extreme!

But the worst part is how loud and inconsiderate they are. The stairs to their apartment are right by my boys' bedrooms. 3 times now they have woken my kids up by allowing their children to run up and down the stairs. Two nights ago they were up banging around at 2:30am...and I don't mean oops I stubbed my toe on the way to the bathroom noise. I mean full on Michael Flatly Lord of the Dance noise. This morning they woke us up at 7:30 by herding cattle (or perhaps some wildebeest).

I'm at my wits end! We've already talked to the landlord twice. They refuse to answer the door so I can talk to them about it like an adult and all poking the ceiling with the broom handle has done it made it to where my hubby has to patch when we move out :blushing: Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation?

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If the landlord is doing nothing about it, call the police.
  • JellyJaks
    Options

And tell them what exactly? I'm all for getting them involved if I have to to get some peace but what law are they breaking?
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Disturbing the peace, perhaps?
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

And tell them what exactly? I'm all for getting them involved if I have to to get some peace but what law are they breaking?

you said you hear him smacking his wife and kids... that should be enough of a reason to call the police.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This article is about noise ordinance as pertained to loud music, but if it is affecting your children's sleep, it may constitute as a law too
    http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Calif/misc/noise.html
  • JellyJaks
    Options

you said you hear him smacking his wife and kids... that should be enough of a reason to call the police.

This is true, however having been in a domestic violence situation with my first husband, I worry seriously about the repercussions if the police are unable to press charges or if she refuses to admit anything has happened.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a well worded letter, or invite them to your place for coffee and talk about it. If that doesn't work, call the police.
  • JellyJaks
    Options
    This article is about noise ordinance as pertained to loud music, but if it is affecting your children's sleep, it may constitute as a law too
    http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Calif/misc/noise.html

Thanks muchly for this. I'm reading through it with my husband and we're going to see if we can put it to good use.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Just go up there and kill them all. smiley-violent006.gif

Yes, I know it's not realistic or helpful but I'm in something of a mood this morning. smiley-angry020.gif
  • JellyJaks
    Options
    Just go up there and kill them all. smiley-violent006.gif

Yes, I know it's not realistic or helpful but I'm in something of a mood this morning. smiley-angry020.gif

Hey it was helpful. It made me laugh for a good 3 minutes and my abs got a small work out :smile: I had a convo with my friend about needing her to be my alibi. I was kidding....I think *shifty eyes*
  • alana1966
    alana1966 Posts: 34
    Options
    Did you sign a rental contract? Often they have a stipulation about not disturbing other tenants/neighbors - if so, you may want to call your Rentalsman's office and see what they say....