Question regarding push-ups

djthom
djthom Posts: 651 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm doing the 100 push-up challange. I'm getting ready to start week 4. I had a hard time with week 3. Found I could not go all the way down to the floor and up again and still do 10 reps. I can only complete the reps. required by going half way down and back up. What is more important, getting down farther or doing more reps? Should I repeat week 3 until I can do them better or should I continue to week 4 the way I'm doing it? Modifing them is not really and option since I don't have a bench and I can already do at least 25 non-stop on my knees all the way to the floor. I want to be able to do regular ones.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I would say test going all the way down. Find the column that represents this number (probably week 3) and follow that. If you continue on only going half way down, you won't accomplish as much and you'll be stuck at this height. Fix it now rather than later.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    I also am doing the 100 push-up challenge and know that you should do week three again till you can get it done the correct way. Once you get there then you can move forward. Good luck. I can't wait to get the nice arms again.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I've always believed that proper form is more important than quantity.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    QUALITY over Quantity anyday!!!
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    The proper form and full range of motion is definitely more important than the reps. It can be tough to make the transition though. I've heard of the 100 PU challenge, but am not familiar with the exact weekly goals. Maybe mix your set up with some half and some full until you can hit the goal. As far as modifying, that's a great idea too. If you don't have a bench, any solid surface will do (I'm assuming the modification would be to elevate the front of your body on a bench), you can use a couple of chairs stacked next to each other if you have some that are around 2 ft. high or so. Couch or coffee table might work too... just make sure whatever you use is going to be solid enough to stay put. Oh, one other thing that may help is try really slowing down the negative rep (downward motion) as this will build up your strength as well.

Good luck!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Thanks everyone!:flowerforyou: I'm going to try starting week 3 over and see if I can get it right.
This discussion has been closed.