720 vs 1080

Options
austinjwalker
austinjwalker Posts: 19 Member
Hey everyone! I'm in the market to buy a new plasma TV, somewhere in the 47-55" range!

HOWEVER, I was wanting to know if it was really worth it to get 1080, or if i'd be fine getting the 720? Suggestions? opinions? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Get the 1080p, especially with TV's over 30ish inches.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    1080. You'll see more grainy stuff in the lower, like jagged curves. Eventhough 720 is called HD, you can tell a difference.

We have a 60in, wouldn't have gotten it in 720 (if that were even an option.)

Just saying again,

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    All HDTV is broadcast in 720p...the way you can get 1080p viewing on your TV is through Blu-Ray and certain games/gaming systems. I have both a 1080p and 720p TV, and though there isn't a HUGE difference, it's nice to have that extra resolution on the bigger TV when I want to watch movies/do other HDMI tethered stuff.

HOWEVER, if you can afford it, I highly recommend an LED TV over plasma; the picture actually is MUCH better!

PS: DO NOT LET THE PEOPLE AT BEST BUY TALK YOU INTO AN EXPENSIVE HDMI CABLE! There's really no difference regarding picture quality from one to the other, but only material quality and length. Get yours from monoprice.com...they don't rip you off. Same goes for wall mounts.
    A friend of mine worked at best buy and they could get HDMI cables that retailed for $80 at an employee price of $7, and wall mounts that retail at $150 for $25. The markup on these items is absolutely gigantic....however armed with that knowledge, you can probably negotiate a lower price on them in conjunction with your TV purchase if you wanted to.
  • austinjwalker
    Options
    haha DANG. i'm hoping for affirmation to save money, not people telling me to spend more.

all joking aside, i may not be able to afford the 1080, so we'll see....
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    1080 has MUCH, much sexier resolution...It's eye-gasmic.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    haha DANG. i'm hoping for affirmation to save money, not people telling me to spend more.

There are holidays coming up. You should be able to find some deals. Also, check out QVC, seems lame, but they have some AWESOME deals on things.
  • austinjwalker
    Options

There are holidays coming up. You should be able to find some deals. Also, check out QVC, seems lame, but they have some AWESOME deals on things.

haha what holiday is that?

BUT, for what it's worth, I don't have blu-ray player, just HD TV and xbox 360.

i don't like the LED look, and the living room is pretty dark so i'm not too worried ab glare.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options

i don't like the LED look, and the living room is pretty dark so i'm not too worried ab glare.

Yeah, but might you get one in the next year or two?

Also, at places like best buy and sears, you can usually talk them down in price. Do your research.
  • austinjwalker
    Options

Yeah, but might you get one in the next year or two?

Also, at places like best buy and sears, you can usually talk them down in price. Do your research.

ok dave ramsey fan! That's the plan, we'll see what happens.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just bought my TV last month.
    Went through all the research and came to the conclusion that it had to be an LED HDTV.
    I don't buy TV's often. The last one was 11 years old, still have it, just moved it to the basement :)
    So I did not want an obsolete TV right out of the gate.

You can get an LED HDTV for a good price, heck you can get LED HDTV's for the same price as some Plasma tv's.
    Just search around, and save up. It is very much worth the wait, and there is a dramatic difference in quality.

Don't bother with a 720P Plasma, you'll be throwing your money away.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier posts. Don't bother with 720, I'm betting it will phase out soon. As for the cables, those bad boys are SERIOUSLY overpriced. I found this place on the WWW, http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102
    have purchased from them and have absolutely no gripes. You might try looking at Costco, I bought my 47" LCD 1080 Vizio out the door for under $1000 a couple years ago.
    Oh, and you will love the way the XBox looks in HD. I've been known to drag a chair to within 3 feet of the screen to play, total immersion!!

Good luck and enjoy!!

Ted
  • Fitnessguy84
    Fitnessguy84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All HDTV is broadcast in 720p...the way you can get 1080p viewing on your TV is through Blu-Ray and certain games/gaming systems. I have both a 1080p and 720p TV, and though there isn't a HUGE difference, it's nice to have that extra resolution on the bigger TV when I want to watch movies/do other HDMI tethered stuff.

HOWEVER, if you can afford it, I highly recommend an LED TV over plasma; the picture actually is MUCH better!

PS: DO NOT LET THE PEOPLE AT BEST BUY TALK YOU INTO AN EXPENSIVE HDMI CABLE! There's really no difference regarding picture quality from one to the other, but only material quality and length. Get yours from monoprice.com...they don't rip you off. Same goes for wall mounts.
    A friend of mine worked at best buy and they could get HDMI cables that retailed for $80 at an employee price of $7, and wall mounts that retail at $150 for $25. The markup on these items is absolutely gigantic....however armed with that knowledge, you can probably negotiate a lower price on them in conjunction with your TV purchase if you wanted to.

Wow...you really know what you are talking about. I would listen to her, she seems to be dead on.