Protein drink is KILLING me!!

Options
2»

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    This is interesting considering I use ON vanilla ice cream all the time. Never had this problem

Same
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As some one else mentioned take a look at the sugar in it... If it has a lot of artificial sugars or sugar alcohol that could be the culprit... I use to use Muscle Milk light and I was having the same issues...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Could also be the casein (milk protein) in your milk or the protein powder itself. Many people have an intolerance to that and don't realize it.
  • nelliemagine
    nelliemagine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A couple suggestions: How much protein is in each shake by itself without adding milk? Our bodies can only handle digesting about 15-20 grams of protein at a time. Adding the protein from milk on top of this and the banana (a gassy food) will only complicate things. Secondly, it could be too much fiber. Your body may not be used to the increase and it's kicking back by cramping/gas/bloating. As others have said, drink lots of water and maybe try only using half of the protein powder at a time. Just my opinion speaking from my own protein/fiber digestion problems.

**Myoplex Lite Vanilla Cream is what I use now. It has 20 g of protein and only 3 g of fiber per packet. Its really good too :smile:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    try mixing it with soy milk and see if it happens. If it doesn't you can say it's the milk if it does it may be something in the mix your are not tolerating anymore.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    try using coconut milk? so delicious is good and they have an original that doesnt have any added things so...it might be the milk cuz that's what happens to one of my friends ewhen she has milk...
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. My doctor told me it's common with some protein drinks. Might need to switch to a different brand or find a more tolerable source of protein.

Good luck!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    A couple suggestions: How much protein is in each shake by itself without adding milk? Our bodies can only handle digesting about 15-20 grams of protein at a time.

do you have a source on this?
    this is another one of the many nutrition myths out there.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Do you drink enough water while working out? When I do my long runs, I find if I don't adequately hydrate ANYTHING that goes in my stomach hurts a ton.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Our bodies can only handle digesting about 15-20 grams of protein at a time.

Not true.