In the airport I saw a group of Sr. citizens...

Options
My wife and I were traveling home this morning and saw a group of sr. citizens traveling together on vacation. I would guess they where in their seventies. They were cheerful, healthy, trim, and obviously took care of their fitness. I observed they had great mobility, flexiiblty and range of motion. Though we never spoke to them, their example provided great encouragement. Sort of reminded me of the movie "Cocoon" :smile:

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ooh! Brilliant movie!
    I'd liked to have seen those folks. :O)
  • sparkleypinkshoes22
    Options
    I know it's a bit of an odd thing to say but I really do love seeing older people out and about having a great time together, looking fab and happy.....just makes me think of all the wonderful possibilities ahead for us all in life.....good on them! :happy:
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That's going to be all of us someday!
    Positive thinking!
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    It's amazing how you notice these things more when you are changing your life too, isn't it? I want to be healthy like that when I'm a senior citizen too. :smile:
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    My partner and I were just talking about that. He is more fit than I am right now and one of the main reasons I am getting back in shape is so we can be active together for the long run. Today we took our dog on a 7 mile hike and talked about where we would like to vacation, places that have beautiful views and great nature trails, and getting a pair of bikes to start adding variety to our weekend exercises.

Thanks for bringing that up as a topic!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know it's a bit of an odd thing to say but I really do love seeing older people out and about having a great time together, looking fab and happy.....just makes me think of all the wonderful possibilities ahead for us all in life.....good on them! :happy:

I totally agree! I would love to see my parents doing the same things.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I not only want to get there for myself, but also for all the people in my life that didn't get there because they didn't take care of themselves. I'm doing this for them too.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just starting, GULP, my senior years, or midlife as I like to call it and my goal is to be active, mobile, and flexible into my 90's and beyond! I do not want to be setting around decaying :(
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    That's going to be all of us someday!
    Positive thinking!

Hear hear!!:drinker:
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Love that movie! My Grandmother, who will be 89 this year, always says that you need to stay active and healthy, otherwise "old" age sets in and you die!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    (Love that movie!! hahaha)

What a positive thing to witness :)
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they might have read the book _Younger Next Year_. It makes a strong case that aging healthfully is a matter of choice, not luck.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I used to work at an assisted living place, some of those people amazed me. They were in their 80's and 90's and would get up and walk, do their own laundry etc.

There was one lady that was there; she was 92 and was there on respite (just to heal from a broken arm) The thing is she broke her arm delivering meals on wheels. I hope I have enough energy and ambition to deliver meals on wheels at 92.

I loved being aroung old people. They gave me so much to look forward too.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they might have read the book _Younger Next Year_. It makes a strong case that aging healthfully is a matter of choice, not luck.

I blame this book for changing my life!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Just starting, GULP, my senior years, or midlife as I like to call it and my goal is to be active, mobile, and flexible into my 90's and beyond! I do not want to be setting around decaying :(
    To continue the movie theme - I love the quote from Shawshank Redemption - "Either get busy living, or get busy dying"