Do you tell people what you think of them....

Options
ivykivy
ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
or do you keep your mouth shut. I was always told "if you don't have something good to say don't say it. and "your opinion of me is none of my business."

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Only when they ask or piss me off. :0]
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I always tell people what I think, even though afterwards I'm always told I'm mean. Oh well, it's better than being fake in my opinion.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the situation. I generally try to avoid making people feel bad, but there are times when it is well called for.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options

Exactly!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Very seldom,can only think of a couple of times in all of life.
    It just isn`t worth it for most situations,they can go their way and I mine.

I will add though that when it comes to family situations that is probably the time to actually get out and open what one thinks...the ramifications and consequences of going along can be severe.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    always honest, always try to be tactful, i'd never purposely hurt someone's feelings
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    depends on the person, but if they rather hear the honest truth I do tell them and they do the same with me :))) It keeps me somehow thinking about it and if I think that others are right I might change :)))
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If it's nice, always.

If it's not so nice, it really depends on the situation. There's a fine line between communicating your feelings to stand up for yourself and communicating your feelings simply to be a total b!tch,
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i try to............. but if its not going to be nice i pick my words...........i have learnt the hard way that saying what is in your head sometimes sounds better in your head...................and not out loud.............

but if they piss me off or cut me up in the car............ the person tends to get the real words............. most of which are rude, with the odd hand single thrown in for good measure !
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. It all depends on the situation. Like if someone really doesn't care about my opinion of them and are just being an a-hole because it's their nature to be so, then why say anything? Do you think they're gonna care? I don't. However, if someone's having a bad day and are acting out of character, I might say something but I almost always use diplomacy. What's the point of being rude like the other person? Let them carry that baggage. That's their karma.

As for me, well, for the most part I don't take anything personal because more often than not it's not about me. It's about them and their attitude. The best I can do is not let it negatively impact me and simply continue on in my peaceful way.
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I never know how to tell someone what I think of them when they've said something insulting to me...

I've had people try to tell me how to dress.. but I don' want t dress their way, but I can't find the words (other than the swear words in my head) to tell them.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    This is how I usually am. But this person has made up something in their own mind about what I think of them. I'm like how can you tell me what I am thinking? It is crazy! I figure you cannot combat someone's lies they have told themselves so why bother. I figure only immature people think everyone is jealous of them. Me personally I don't think that. I am so trying to mind my own business and deal with my stuff I don't have time to look at yours.
    Yes and no. It all depends on the situation. Like if someone really doesn't care about my opinion of them and are just being an a-hole because it's their nature to be so, then why say anything? Do you think they're gonna care? I don't. However, if someone's having a bad day and are acting out of character, I might say something but I almost always use diplomacy. What's the point of being rude like the other person? Let them carry that baggage. That's their karma.

As for me, well, for the most part I don't take anything personal because more often than not it's not about me. It's about them and their attitude. The best I can do is not let it negatively impact me and simply continue on in my peaceful way.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

ditto but I wont be fake with people either, if I don't like them they will know it without words but I wouldn't dream of going up to a friends friend and telling her I think shes too fat/ugly/whingy/thick etc, my opinion of someone is just that, MY opinion
  • jmcniel
    jmcniel Posts: 65
    Options
    If I am asked for my opinion, I give it, and if they get upset, then they should get thicker skin; truth hurts.

A lot of people cannot take criticism because they have had everything sugar coated for them, and when some one is truthful and does not give them the answer they are accustomed to they feel that they have been stabbed with a knife.

Just my outlook; not the gospel. :)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If I am asked for my opinion, I give it, and if they get upset, then they should get thicker skin; truth hurts.

A lot of people cannot take criticism because they have had everything sugar coated for them, and when some one is truthful and does not give them the answer they are accustomed to they feel that they have been stabbed with a knife.

Just my outlook; not the gospel. :)

He's talking about my mother. Rofl.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    only if they want the truth, or ask an honest opinion.

i will tell people the truth rather than lie. i won't lie to people to cover up the truth though. and i hate nothing more than fake people, so i try not to be fake. i go with the if you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all.

my partner and children though, i tell him the truth, even if he doesn't want to hear it. and he does the same to me. they are the most honest and open relationships in my life so i just don't really feel the need to sugarcoat things, i tell them as they are. because they are the people I care about the most. If the rest of the world wants to live in delusion or denial, that's their problem I guess.

i'm not one to be starting trouble with people unecessarily, i just don't need that in my life.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    No. If I don;t think highly of someone I just stay away from them. Life is too short to spend it in the company of asshats.