ah-ha moment

No, not the band :-)

So, yesterday, I took my neice and my 2 boys to zoo and we were in the "Family Farm" section of the zoo where you can buy farm fresh ice cream, etc. and I didn't order any for myself because I knew my youngest son woudln't eat all of his and so I'd just finish it (unlike in the past when I'd order some for myself AND finish his). I realized sitting there watching the kids play and eating what was left (about 4 T of chocolate ice cream) that not was it very satisfying - but it was truly all I really NEEDED to eat. It was a treat. It was then that I realized - this isn't about a DIET anymore - this really is about making lifestyle changes. You hear about it all the time that true weight loss/maintenance success is dependent on lifestyle changes. It was an amazing personal revelation. One I really needed. I felt 'in control' for once. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member

So, yesterday, I took my neice and my 2 boys to zoo and we were in the "Family Farm" section of the zoo where you can buy farm fresh ice cream, etc. and I didn't order any for myself because I knew my youngest son woudln't eat all of his and so I'd just finish it (unlike in the past when I'd order some for myself AND finish his). I realized sitting there watching the kids play and eating what was left (about 4 T of chocolate ice cream) that not was it very satisfying - but it was truly all I really NEEDED to eat. It was a treat. It was then that I realized - this isn't about a DIET anymore - this really is about making lifestyle changes. You hear about it all the time that true weight loss/maintenance success is dependent on lifestyle changes. It was an amazing personal revelation. One I really needed. I felt 'in control' for once. Anyone else experience this?
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Yah for you. Great moment.
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Good for you! I love it when those moments happen. :flowerforyou:
  • monica5237
    monica5237 Posts: 450

Yes I have. I used to get the big ice cream with my kids when we went out but I have found that I can have the jr size and it will saticfy my craving. I have also discovered that I can still eat out with my friends and family all i have to do is ask for a calorie menu and most places have them.
    (it takes me a little longer to order) but I will tell my friends this is my life now and I watch everything I eat this is not a "just for now thing" it is my change of life. So I just tell them GET USED TO IT!!! :bigsmile: this is the new me!!!!!
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    We are having the exhibition (fair) here, annd I went. I managed not to eat anything deep fried or on a stick. It just wasn't worth all those extra calories to me any more. I went home and had a snack when I got there. This is crazy :noway: for me because usuallt I spend 20-30 dollars on junk there.
  • veracruz
    We are having the exhibition (fair) here, annd I went. I managed not to eat anything deep fried or on a stick. It just wasn't worth all those extra calories to me any more. I went home and had a snack when I got there. This is crazy :noway: for me because usuallt I spend 20-30 dollars on junk there.

Great job! Doesn't it feel good to be the one in control?
  • veracruz

Yes I have. I used to get the big ice cream with my kids when we went out but I have found that I can have the jr size and it will saticfy my craving. I have also discovered that I can still eat out with my friends and family all i have to do is ask for a calorie menu and most places have them.
    (it takes me a little longer to order) but I will tell my friends this is my life now and I watch everything I eat this is not a "just for now thing" it is my change of life. So I just tell them GET USED TO IT!!! :bigsmile: this is the new me!!!!!

Yep - it takes me a bit longer to scour the menu - but oh well - the consequences are just too great for me. I'm not taking any steps back after ALLLL the hard work it's taken me to get where I am.
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    THANKX, and yes it does.:happy: :happy: :happy: