what will happen if i dont increase my calories??

Options
2»

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of research that says to eat 1200 calories NET a day to keep your body functioning properly. You aren't even coming anywhere near that and eventually it's going to make you really sick. Your body can't function on what you're putting into it. Nuts are a good way to add calories and GOOD fats, as are peanut and almond butter. Yogurt is a good choice as well....
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hi Amanda!

some thoughts I came up with:

think long term.....eating 800 or so calories (net) a day isn't something you'll be able to do for a lifetime. You may see weight losses now but you won't be able to sustain them.

If you don't eat the calories back you won't get the vitamins, minerals, and muscle building blocks that you need! And, you are still a young adult, so you want to set your body up to be strong....maybe one day have children (who knows ;-)......so think long term health.

Eat alot more protein from lots of different sources. Almonds, peanut butter, meats, fish, etc.

some people suggest a gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight.

Variety and color are the spice of life and they provide nutrients, antioxidants and other health benefits that you can research about.

Remember to eat healthy fats as our bodies needs then to digest and function.

You (at least today) are a great exerciser and seem really determined - Congrats....keep fine tuning and tweaking your diet and just do your best!!

Great Luck to you!!
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    OMG girl. IF I ate like you I would be so skinny....lol....But you seriously don't eat enough. Your body is starving, you may have trained your mind that you are not hungry but your internal organs need is craving protein, espesially after exercise. I seriously suggest if you dont want to eat "real food" then try to incorporate protein shakes in your diet. Since you eat alot of fruit anyways, take your fruit put it in a blender with some yogurt or milk and protein powder and voila, you have a protein shake. Salads are great as a side dish but you need protein, fat and carbs to get the most out of ur workouts and for you to have energy. Don't worry you will learns. Dont make ur body eat up ur muscles because you are not giving it enough protein, because thats what will happen soon, if it hasnt already happen. Keep up your good determination and you will win this thing.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Your way under on your carbs and protien. If you keep this up you risk going into starvation mode. At 1800 calories you should be consuming 180g of carbs, 135g in protein, and 60g in fat. Which mean 40% of your calories should come from carbs, 30% from protien and 30% from fat. You need carbs for energy, protien to build muscle so you can keep burning calories and eventually burn more. Then you need fats. You need fat to loose fat.
  • AmandaOc2011
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. And to answer the question of am i a vegetarian, no im not, but im not that keen on meats.! I will just have to add more calorie rich food. I really dont want my body going into starvation mode.! THANKS EVERYONE
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You do need to add more food to your daily eating. I would do it slowly but you should be aiming to get to about 1200 calories. I would start by adding protien. There was one day you had an apple for lunch. throw some peanut butter on there and maybe add a glass of milk. try adding hard boiled eggs to your salad or tuna. You could snack on almonds.

Don't be scared if you gain weight or hit a plateau and stop losing for a little bit. You will have to trust it that your body needs that and you will start losing again.

Best wishes.