Alcohol and how it "pauses" weight loss

Options
Is this another weight loss myth, or is it really true that when you drink, your body will stop burning fat for awhile while it works on the alcohol?

Is this phenomenon worse with beer than other forms of alcohol?

How may hours or days does this "pause" in weight loss go on for?

If you eat properly while drinking, does this even matter if there is still a calorie deficit?

If you drink more alcohol, but it fits into your calorie allowance, I don't understand how this works. Is the alcohol that is being "favored" by the body measurable, and is there anything we can do to counteract it? An extra workout? Even less calories? An extra lowfat diet the following day?

Replies

• patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    great question hope to see the answers i am curios
    pat
  • twentysixpointtwo
    Options
    great question!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Personally.. and I'll probably get a TON of flack for this but, I have red wine EVERY DAY. I fit it into my calories just like anything else. Rest of my diet is very healthy and sensible. I work out 5-6x per week. And yes, I'm still losing.

I don't know what the scientific technical answer is but this has been my experience. I'm not advocating it or even saying it would work for everyone, just giving my experience.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    It screws with your body for a few days. Don't drink unless you want slower weight loss, or at least understand WHY you have no loss after a party weekend. It's not just about calories in vs calories out when it comes to alcohol. I would love to google and post some good links explaining the specifics but I can't right now.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    I would think that as long as it fit in your calorie AND carb allowence it should be ok every now and then.
    That said, alcohol is a depressant and does slow down ALL, actions and activity in the body. Bottom line is how bad you want it?
  • AlisonMacKay
    Options
    I still have a drink or 2 a couple of days a week and it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss. I have been counting calories since March and have lost 1-2 lbs a week. I enjoy to have a drink and I am not going to cut it out of my day because it is "slowing" me down.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. Sure there's science and whatnot but I haven't cut out my beer or wine and I'm only 1.8 pounds away from my final goal.

For some it slows down the weight loss, others not so much. As with most things, you just have to see what works for you.

I've cut out drinking during the week and only drink on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Trying to cut out Sundays as well.
  • as1789
    as1789 Posts: 46
    Options
    No idea on the scientific aspect, but my own phenomena happens when i drink. The past couple of weekends I've drank alcohol and had a pretty big weight loss the day after (I'm one of those freaky people who weighs themselves every day)...no i didn't puke it out. Just had to clarify that.
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    2 nights ago I had 2 23oz Bud Lights, 2 Shots of tequila, and 2 Jager Bombs. I had a massive hangover yesterday morning, but stayed under my calories, and skipped my workout. Weighed in this morning, and had still dropped a pound, right on the same track that I have been on.
  • bruce_kb
    bruce_kb Posts: 1
    Options
    I really don't know, but I look forward to the answer. Your post makes me want to rethink having a drink while I am on the road to losing weight; which is a good thing.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a toxin to your body, so it processes the alcohol first. As long as it's in your system, your body is using the alcohol for fuel instead of the food you ate.

So yes, it wreaks havoc with weight loss because your body will be using the alcohol instead of food or fat.

Beer is a problem mainly because it's big serving of carbs along with the alcohol. Similar to having a fruity mixed drink or using a sugary mixer with lquor. The carbs are going to be stored as fat because your body is using the alcohol for fuel.

I forget how many hours it takes for your body to finish processing the alcohol, but it's several hours.
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i read that when you drink your body breaks down the alcohol first to work it through your system... so it will break down the alcohol before it breaks down any fat etc...

this explains it a bit better.....!

http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    From an article off the website Sparkpeople.com:

Alcohol and weight loss are enemies, but an occasional drink can have a place in a healthy lifestyle. In fact, many experts note the health benefits of consuming a single drink per day, including a reduced risk for high blood pressure. If, however, you are exceeding one drink daily, you might be sabotaging your weight loss plans.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it causes water loss and dehydration. Along with this water loss you lose important minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance, chemical reactions, and muscle contraction and relaxation.

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and offers NO nutritional value. It only adds empty calories to your diet. Why not spend your calorie budget on something healthier?

Alcohol affects your body in other negative ways. Drinking might help induce sleep, but the sleep you get isn't very deep. Ultimately, as a result, you get less rest. Alcohol can also increase the amount of acid that your stomach produces, causing your stomach lining to become inflamed. Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to serious health problems, including stomach ulcers, liver disease, and heart troubles.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions, which is detrimental to your diet plans. Alcohol actually stimulates your appetite. While you might be full from a comparable amount of calories from food, several drinks might not fill you up. On top of that, research shows that if you drink before or during a meal, both your inhibitions and willpower are reduced. In this state, you are more likely to overeat—especially greasy or fried foods—which can add to your waistline. To avoid this, wait to order that drink until you're done with your meal.

Many foods that accompany drinking (peanuts, pretzels, chips) are salty, which can make you thirsty, encouraging you to drink even more. To avoid overdrinking, sip on a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.

Skipping a meal to save your calories for drinks later is a bad idea. Many drinkers know they'll be having some alcohol later, whether going to a bar, party, or just kicking back at home. Knowing that drinking entails extra calories, it may be tempting to "bank" some calories by skipping a meal or two. This is a bad move. If you come to the bar hungry, you are even more likely to munch on the snacks, and drinking on an empty stomach enhances the negative effects of alcohol. If you're planning on drinking later, eat a healthy meal first. You'll feel fuller, which will stop you from overdrinking. If you are worried about a looming night out with friends, include an extra 30 minutes of exercise to balance your calories—instead of skipping a meal.

What are more important, calories or carbs? You might think that drinking liquor is more diet-friendly because it has no carbohydrates, while both wine and beer do contain carbs. But dieters need to watch calories, and liquor only has a few calories less than beer or wine. Plus, it is often mixed with other drinks, adding even more empty calories. Hard liquor contains around 100 calories per shot, so adding a mixer increases calories even more. If you are going to mix liquor with anything, opt for a diet or club soda, instead of fruit juice or regular soda. Sweeter drinks, whether liquor or wine, tend to have more sugar, and therefore more calories. In that respect, dry wines usually have fewer calories than sweet wines.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't know how helpful this is, but I found it interesting...

http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/article.htm
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No idea on the scientific aspect, but my own phenomena happens when i drink. The past couple of weekends I've drank alcohol and had a pretty big weight loss the day after (I'm one of those freaky people who weighs themselves every day)...no i didn't puke it out. Just had to clarify that.

That was probably from dehydration. A few days later your weight probably went back up a bit as you rehydrated.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I always LOSE weight after a night out of drinking and eating a takeout after! Probably from all the dancing and not having that many calories to eat.
  • amyjolaine
    amyjolaine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is empty calories, and it has the sugars in it that are the bad sugars. If you allow it in your calories, and work out harder the next day than you normally do, you should be fine.

I have actually found out that when I drink, I lose weight, because I am drinking when I am swing dancing or salsa dancing!

:)

Amy Eagon
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a drink or several about once a week. If it slows me down, I don't care!

I'm not, and never was, in a big old hurry to drop every pound as fast as possible. I want to enjoy my life in the meantime, not put everything on hold until I reach some magical number. And when I get to my goal, I want to be used to eating and drinking and living a normal life that includes the occasional goodie or junk or libation. I don't want to be the kid in the candy store going nuts with my new found freedom.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I say no. I had friends in town, another friend's wedding and an overnight vacation. I drank more last week than I have yet all this year combined.

I should only have lost 1.4 lbs. last week but ended up losing 3.4. That's the most I've lost in one week in over a month.

I see no correlation based on this one week of data.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    YES, Alcohol is burned FIRST, then whatever you use for energy (Carbs, Fat...) So, depending on how MUCH you drink will depend on when Your Body begins to burn Fat. The more alcohol you consume, the longer it will take to get back to burning the "Real" stuff.

See: Alcohol for dieters, POSTED 4/1/11. At the end of the Thread someone Posted a very good, insightful Article.