Allergic to Exercise?

Options
Every time I work out whether it's the elliptical at the gym or walking outside, afterward, my nose runs like a faucet and I can't stop sneezing...it actually gets painful! It usually goes away after a few hours, but I have had to resort to tissues stuffed in the nose so I could sleep. I googled 'sneezing and runny nose after workouts' and the results came back as being allergic to exercise...literally!
It's called Exercise-Induced Rhinitis. I've tried taking benedryl before I workout and after, but have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if you've found anything that works?

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Claritin for me, but I still need the Kleenex. It is worse when I exercise outside, so mine might not be as severe as yours is.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I saw another post like this one a while back and if memory serves me correctly the answers provided said it could be the body's way of releasing the toxins. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks ( or sooner depending on how bad it is) you may want to consult your doctor or fitness trainer of some sort for solutions.

good luck!
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Every time I work out whether it's the elliptical at the gym or walking outside, afterward, my nose runs like a faucet and I can't stop sneezing...it actually gets painful! It usually goes away after a few hours, but I have had to resort to tissues stuffed in the nose so I could sleep. I googled 'sneezing and runny nose after workouts' and the results came back as being allergic to exercise...literally!
    It's called Exercise-Induced Rhinitis. I've tried taking benedryl before I workout and after, but have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if you've found anything that works?

maybe its the gym...
    or the machine ... perhaps something they are using to clean the machines because certain times that happens to me.

benedryl usually just makes me passout and diaphynhidrene *or however you spell it* is so so bad for you and that's basically all it is lol I would first see if maybe when you work out on your own not at the gym if you feel the same bc there is a huge chance its the cleaning supplies they use.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    No but that has to suck, so sorry... must be due to increased blood flow and dilation of vessels in your sinuses and nose. :(
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    How miserable.Do you have the same reaction when you are outdoors? Maybe it could be the types of deodorants people are wearing. Best of luck.
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do have the same problem when I walk around my neighborhood, that's actually what made me ask...I walked 2 miles outside earlier today and have not been able to stop sneezing since. It doesn't start until after I stop working out, but if I would resume the exercise, the symptoms go away until I stop again. The harder I push myself, the symptoms get worse and last longer.
    So weird, but I refuse to let it interfere with my exercise and work outs, I just wish I knew how to manage it. I have an appointment with a trainer this week and if he doesn't know then I'll go to the doctor...
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but its itchy skin.....uncontrollable and it is only after i havent worked out in over a week. I just make sure I workout most days. Good luck with yours.
  • wigal23
    wigal23 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Any time my heart rate is elevated (exercising or otherwise) my nose will run. Not sure about the sneezing, but I know a few others with the nose running problem as well.