Exercise and Weigh-ins

Options
I'm in a really fun challenge here on MFP, and our weekly weigh-ins are Monday mornings. To see the best weight-loss result for myself, do you think I should weigh-in immediately after waking up and using the restroom? OR, should I weigh-in after waking up and exercising a good half-hour to hour?

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I've heard first thing in the am naked before eating or working out will get you the lowest numbers :) Good luck!
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    I always weight less after I exercise........usually by about 2 lbs.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    immediately after waking up. thats the best time to weight.

doing it after exercise is just causing it to go down from water loss and not your true weight :p
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    First thing in the morning.Remember to always use the same scale!
  • katiejneely
    Options
    Dr. Oz says first thing in the morning! :-)
  • busymamaof4
    busymamaof4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning right after I get up and use the rest room.
  • jamievolner
    Options
    After waking up. It is a known fact if you weigh yourself after your workout your weight will not be accurate...you will be heavier because the muscles are in "recovery" and are heavy at that point.
  • wide_rider
    Options
    My trainer said to always to do weigh-in and measurements before warming up, let alone working out, and to make sure you check your weight at the same time of day to have a consistent reference point.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You could always do both and pick the lowest weight :devil:
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    :angry: :angry: :devil: Eat a HUGE breakfast full of sodium and then weigh yourself. Bacon, sausages, eggs, stack of pancakes and a giant bakery blueberry muffin. You'll see great results...at least I will!!! :devil: :devil: :devil: :smokin: :angry: :angry:

Disclaimer: Healthymom is on my oposing team and I am trying to kick her little buns in this week's challenge... :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

This is most likely due to water loss... sweating during a workout is the reason. :happy:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    :angry: :angry: :devil: Eat a HUGE breakfast full of sodium and then weigh yourself. Bacon, sausages, eggs, stack of pancakes and a giant bakery blueberry muffin. You'll see great results...at least I will!!! :devil: :devil: :devil: :smokin: :angry: :angry:

Disclaimer: Healthymom is on my oposing team and I am trying to kick her little buns in this week's challenge... :bigsmile:

Go eat your cookies!!!:tongue:
  • healthymomwannabe
    healthymomwannabe Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Go eat your cookies!!!:tongue:

Hahahaha!!! Maria, I ALMOST fell for your advice. Shyea!! You're hilarious! And I see you haven't weighed in yet this morning... are you scared?? Haha!!

Kim, you tell her! I stopped over at her place yesterday, and she was waving that platter of cookies in front of my face, doing her best to tempt me into eating some! What a friend, huh? LOL! I did not cave - so proud of myself!!

Good luck with weigh-ins this morning, ladies!!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Honestly, I wouldn't have let you eat one...however, I was hoping your husband would have taken a few off my hands. Damn cookies. Luckily, I don't like leftover cookies - only oven fresh. So the leftovers will probably go to the kids here today. I'm golden!!

Great job on the weigh in today - I'm kinda happy with mine considering what week I'm in.

Keep it going girls!!! :happy:
    4492 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting past being hungry after a workout. I never really liked to workout anyway. and now I find myself more hungry then before I started. Can someone please help so I don't fall off the wagon. Or is it suppose to be this way. I'm lost!
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning right after I get up and use the rest room.

I like to do that also. But then I would get discouraged when the scale was not in my favor and then I wouldn't stand on it for a while. But now that I am working out things should be different.
  • healthymomwannabe
    healthymomwannabe Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting past being hungry after a workout. I never really liked to workout anyway. and now I find myself more hungry then before I started. Can someone please help so I don't fall off the wagon. Or is it suppose to be this way. I'm lost!

This is what works for me:
    1) Make sure you eat back whatever calories you burn. If you don't eat back at least the majority of those burned cals, you'll be depriving your body of much-needed nutrients. 2) It's ok to go above your daily protein limit - protein is an excellent way to not feel as hungry. Cheese, peanut butter, eggs, protein meal/snack bars, etc. 3) Drink lots and lots of water. I drink at least 3 liters of water daily - it acts as a filler to me.
    Those are a few of my suggestions - at least things that I find have been working for me. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!
    Options

This is what works for me:
    1) Make sure you eat back whatever calories you burn. If you don't eat back at least the majority of those burned cals, you'll be depriving your body of much-needed nutrients. 2) It's ok to go above your daily protein limit - protein is an excellent way to not feel as hungry. Cheese, peanut butter, eggs, protein meal/snack bars, etc. 3) Drink lots and lots of water. I drink at least 3 liters of water daily - it acts as a filler to me.
    Those are a few of my suggestions - at least things that I find have been working for me. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

thank you and I see that you have been losing. I just didn't understand why would I be so hungry! So I'll drink lots of water then I eat something high in protein. I was just nervous about eating anything thinking that I would gain weight and sabotage the workout.