NSV ... though I may regret it tomorrow.

Options
aeckels616
aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
In high school, I was always one of the last 3 people to finish the weekly "mile run" in P.E. that I dreaded like torture. I couldn't run a full mile to save my life, and usually walked most of it.

For some reason completely out of character, as I entered my 30's I decided to take up running as a challenge. The normal pattern I've I worked my way up thus far is 1) jog a full mile, 2) walk a quarter-mile, then repeat until I run out of time or steam, whichever comes first. The most I have ever, ever run doing these intervals is 6 miles.

Today, I decided to push myself and run a full 5K without stopping to walk.

I did it. At the end, I wasn't nearly as exhausted as I was expecting to be.

So I did it again.

My bunions are sore, my bad knee hurts, and I can tell tomorrow is going to be a walking-only day. It took me a full hour and 15 minutes even if you don't count the pause between the two 5K's while I reprogrammed my jogging app.

But I didn't die. And I'm feeling pretty dang good about that.

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You're an inspiration! :smile: I bet that felt wonderful.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    That is quite the achievement! Nice job!!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    *Applause!!* Nice job! I'm still working on my jogging/running stamina.
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nice job! Ice your knees, and make sure to stretch, and you should be fine! :)
  • ash15nicole
    ash15nicole Posts: 131
    Options
    AWESOME!! keep it up!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Excellent!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment!
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That is totally awesome. Sometimes we don't know what we can do until we push ourselves.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Turning 27 and feeling like I have an "old" body (my knees pop when I kneel or squat, I am stiff in the mornings, and my feet swell) made me really want to take up running. I am going to start working on it tomorrow. You are an inspiration! Keep it up and great job. Also I add, ICE, ICE, ICE, ICE!!! Ice those achey knees!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Great work and way to push yourself! The only way to reach a goal is to just reach out and grab it sometimes. Just remember, no matter how bad you feel tomorrow, it won't be that bad next time.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Holy cow that is fantastic!! What an inspiration! I hope to be able to do that someday soon :smile:
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome. I was doing almost the exact same thing. I would run a mile, then stop and walk... repeat. And then one day I just kept going and what I realized was that the first two miles aways felt the worst and the ones that followed didn't really feel too bad at all! I'm finally just over four at a time and I think this week I will shoot for 5 just to torture myself. I too have never been a runner so this is purely a challenge. Good luck and keep going with it! I have my first 5k nect month and am looking at a 10k in the late summer/ early fall! Who knew?!?!
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    This made me laugh! It reads like: "I ran a 5k and lived. So, you know, I ran another one." LOL! Absolutely fantastic job. Be sure to get lots of protein today to repair those muscles.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement! It's been several hours and I'm still feeling good - even my bad knee is doing surprisingly well. Ice and protein - check. One of my long-term goals is to run a 10K without stopping at all ... I'm starting to believe I will actually be able to do that one day :)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    That is seriously phenomenal!!!! Just ice those knees and you should be good to go. If you're sore tomorrow then just listen to your body and rest. Who knows, you may end up surprising yourself and not being sore at all!!

Congrats :drinker:
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started running 10 days ago and have built up to 1.2km's lol. Not much to some but great for me. I can't wait to build up to 5km's and more.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this story thanks for sharing. The most I have gotten is 3 miles. I would never think to through another three in. You should be so proud!

Smiles :)
    Ang
  • stephaniefekany
    Options
    I was one running in the last 3 or so along with you, and I have too picked up jogging/walking. I wish I had your scenery though. I walk more than I jog at this point, but I keep trying to push myself to go a little further each time. When I tried this last year, I got up to almost 1 mile (I thought it was a mile at first), and I was so proud of myself. But then I went on vacation and had a hard time getting back into it. So, here I am again, starting over. I hope one day to run a 1/2 marathon. That is my ultimate goal. I have a long way to go, but you have always been an inspiration......Keep up the good work...you never stop amazing me!!

since I'm here, does anyone know what would cause the outside of the ankles to hurt very much just while walking? I got a really nice pair of running shoes last year. The people even watched me walk, then recommended these particular shoes. So I got them, and seemed fine last year, but a year later, my ankles seem to be giving me problems. Anyone know why this might be?
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!