Calories burned on treadmill...

Options
So I got bored and went and walked 5.2 miles on the treadmill.. The calorie counter on there said I burned 698 (which I know treadmills are off) but i plugged it into here and it said i only burned 401 calories.. That is a HUGE difference. My concerns is if I say I only burned 400 and really burned closer to 700 and i dont eat back those calories, i will hinder my weight loss.... Are treadmills and MFP really that off for all you guys?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would go with 520 calories, as people who are close to their normal weight generally burn about 100 calories per mile, running or walking. Maybe slightly less, as the treadmill 'helps' you move along.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Give or take 1 mile - 100 cals no matter what speed @ normal weight. Prob a little more if you have more muscle or are heavier.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not sure about treadmills, but my Elliptical is wayyyy off! I bought a HRM and during one intense 30min workout the elliptical said I burned 510cals, my HRM said 299, and MFP said 310. So I would go with what MFP says since it was pretty accurate for me.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and the calorie difference on all cardio machines is about 100 to 175 difference (lower then wha tthe machines say). The amounts seem to be the average depending on your height and weight.

I don't eat back all my exercise calories (but everyone has a different opinion on those. I would say that 400 to 450 is about right (depending on how fast you were walking and what incline. The higher your incline the higher your heart rate goes....

You are better safe then sorry-

Not sure if that helps at all
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Give or take 1 mile - 100 cals no matter what speed @ normal weight. Prob a little more if you have more muscle or are heavier.

This is totally true for me!!! I ran 1/2mile today, took me 4.5mins and I burned about 50cals. Then went the same distance, walking slowly (15mins) and burned the same amout of calories! I couldnt believe it!
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The calories that the tredmill says you burned, did you have to enter your gender and weight to get that reading, or did it tell you that number based on no data from you. If that's the case, I'd trust MFP a little more. Most tredmills are set for men, and men burn more calories then women do.
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sorry, message posted twice
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good advice on the 100 calories per mile... Im just gonna keep it on MFP recordings. Wouldnt be such a big deal but i already struggle to eat back all of my workout calories. I just cant eat that much food.