Traveling.

Options
Hey all. I am going on a two week trip to Greece, Slovenia, Austria, and Germany with my dad mid-May! I don't really want to track everything I eat (because I want to enjoy my time with my dad and it would be really difficult to find some of those foods in the database), but I still want to eat healthily and meet my goals for the summer (I have a competition with my friends to see who can get in the best shape for shirtless-jogging... haha). I plan on bringing my binder of P90X workouts and doing the ones that I can without weights - pushup, leg, and core exercises - along with doing my morning cardio routine or jump roping every other day.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to eat healthy when traveling abroad? I appreciate any tips or advice!

Replies

• LusciousLeaks
    Options
    stay away from bread in resturants ...its the worst. lol also watch sauces and gravy...
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy., at least for me. The only exercise I do when I am traveling is walking. I will spend the day walking. I don't drink alcohol or eat fast foods but I always make sure to choose fish and chicken from menus when I eat out or am cooking. If you do not speak the language fluently, my only suggestion is to get familiar with the words for food. When I go home to Germany, eating healthy can be difficult but I try. When I go visit in-laws in Moscow, it is easier. Just trust yourself to make healthy choices. Greece has a nice choice of foods so I wouldn't worry.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Greece will be easy - lots of vegetables and healthy meats in genuine Greek cuisine (although, yes, it is possible to be overwhelmed with the bread, so watch out!). Unlike northern European cuisines, even their sauces tend to be pretty healthy (ie, not made out of meat drippings, like gravy).

Germany and Austria might be a bit harder, but late Spring should bring out the summer fare. Watch out for "-schnitzel" which means "breaded and fried." :( Keep an eye for their excellent fish dishes!
  • mrscarson
    Options
    As you probably already know, protein is important so stick to it. Try to order chicken breasts or other lean meats. Try to enjoy the scenery and environment rather than focusing on the food. Enjoy the trip for what is around you, rather than what you can eat. It is custom to have bread with meals so just simply ask the waiter/waitress not to bring the bread and your temptation won't be sitting right in front of you. Take a walk to a local market and pick up some fresh fruits/veggies and snack on those rather than going to a gelato stand :) Enjoy your trip! I'm impressed you're bringing Tony Horton with you!
  • acgarrett
    Options
    I'm from the US but have been living and traveling in India for the past year. It's been torture...everything fried and/or covered in sauce and served with rice. :) My best advice is to go informed. Do some research ahead of time. Google the cities and hotels you're staying in and look for restaurants you may visit and check out their menus, then look up nutrition info for things you might eat. You can usually get fruit, salads and soups in most restaurants, and those are often the best choices. When you do eat some of the crazier things, just know what you're doing and compensate by exercising and keeping the next meal healthier.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I bring a empty water bottle when I travel in Europe because I have found it hard to get in enough water and this way I can refill in my room (I also bring crystal lite packets for flavor, but I'm not big into water) - most places I have been, they don't refill water glasses in restaurants like they do here, instead they will bring a small bottle of sparkling or still water - dehydration was my biggest problem. Generally Europeans are much healthier when it comes to food, and if you do a lot of touring and walking it will probably balance out. I've lost weight every time I've traveled abroad - not so much with domestic travel :-)
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I live in Germany and have spent quite a bit of time in Austria and you can totally find great healthy options at many restaurants. My best advice is to avoid "touristy" restaurants, they are much more likely to have huge amounts of traditional types of food, which are usually breaded or smothered in heavy sauces and chock full of potatoes or salt. I try to stick to more local and small restaurants, prices are usually less, people are friendlier and the food is better. At most local restaurants I've been to they have a wonderful selection of food that is prepared with local and organic ingredients. Usually the meat comes from the animals in the local village. Try to eat off the daily or seasonal menu. It's asparagus season right now in Southern Germany so you can usually get a ton of fresh asparagus. It's usually safe to eat fish, but if you can find meat without heavy sauces that should be fine as well. Drink lots of water!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I've been in Europe I've found that it works to eat a healthy continental breakfast focusing on yogurt and fruit, maybe some oatmeal, go light on the sweet pastries. Then lunch is essentially a picnic from a local grocery store - some cheese or more yogurt, local fruit, a little sausage sometimes, crackers or a roll. Then factor in the amount of walking you did all day and you can have a nice dinner in a restaurant without worrying too much. Avoid places that sell tourist food to Americans - it will be heavy, fried and gross. Enjoy the local wine, but don't go on a bender. Buying lunch in grocery stores also has the advantage of giving you insight into real life people live and will most likely save you money. I've done this several times and every trip I've lost weight even though I never felt deprived and ate plenty of local food. .

Have a great time! I love Europe - it's an amazing place to travel.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am going on a cruise in Aug for 5 days. ALL YOU CAN EAT FOOD ALL THE TIME!!! YIKES!!! 24 HOUR PIZZA! UGH!!! but they also have a gym that looks out over the side of the cruise ship at the water. i hope that will motivate me to get in there. i dont plan or logging at all because of how expensive the internet access is going to be. but i am going to try and hit the gym in the AM and before bed i hope!! good luck and have fun!!
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm from the US but have been living and traveling in India for the past year. It's been torture...everything fried and/or covered in sauce and served with rice. :) My best advice is to go informed. Do some research ahead of time. Google the cities and hotels you're staying in and look for restaurants you may visit and check out their menus, then look up nutrition info for things you might eat. You can usually get fruit, salads and soups in most restaurants, and those are often the best choices. When you do eat some of the crazier things, just know what you're doing and compensate by exercising and keeping the next meal healthier.

I do not think it is the right impression. Lot has changed in India and you get good choice of healthy eating too. Either you have been pretty localized in what you have seen so far, or you need to change your company while in India. :smile:
  • cokolina
    cokolina Posts: 48
    Options
    sightnowchanging I'm from Slovenija;) Did you enjoy jour vacation here?;)