Has anyone received any negativity about their weight lose?

Options
Jenn070608
Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
I have been careful not to be "showy" about my weight lose. But I have received a few negative looks and smirks. Someone said to me the other day, "Oh, your wearing skinny jeans now?" It was very sarcastic sounding. Truth is, the jeans I was wearing I bought back in October and had worn them several times before starting my weight lose program in January. they weren't even skinny jeans, just straight legs. I just ignored them and said nothing back. The only new cloths of bought was yesterday, so I haven't even worn them yet. Even at my heaviest weight, I have worn nice cloths. I have always been a "shopaholic". So I don't know why I would change that now.

Has anyone else experienced negative attention?

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if someone said that to me i would have looked them in the eye and said "damn straight"
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    psh, yeah, start bragging! What you've accomplished is no small feat. Anyone who can't acknowledge that just isn't worth worrying about.

Congrats on your weight loss! You should be proud.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    That's just jealousy and insecurity showing through. Some people, having never developed intellectually or emotionally, choose to express themselves in that way and they are the same type of people that have to put someone else down in order to raise themselves up.

Don't take it as a sign that you should lower your standards; take it as a sign that you are doing the right thing, and raise the bar even more.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My wife loves to make comments such as "you're too skinny.". I'm not at my goal yet, but I'm not getting any support from her. Otherwise, I haven't received any comments about my 20 lb loss this year from the people I work with, probably because it's mostly from my gut and you can't tell with the shirts I wear.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetie. You are working hard and should be proud of that. Don't let negative people get you down.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    That sounds like jealousy to me!! :) Don't let it get to you... that's obviously what that person was trying to do. Be proud of what you have accomplished!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Today when my Dad commented to my Husband about how much weight I've lost (I've lost 31 lbs from 167 lbs to 136 lbs) my Brother chimed it "Did she lose weight? I hadn't noticed. She'll always be my fat sister."
    So, yeah.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Today when my Dad commented to my Husband about how much weight I've lost (I've lost 31 lbs from 167 lbs to 136 lbs) my Brother chimed it "Did she lose weight? I hadn't noticed. She'll always be my fat sister."
    So, yeah.
    lol but what do you expect from a brother, although i have to admit my brother aint so bad any more.
    he was always real mean to me about weight til about 9 -10 years ago when he ballooned up big time, now he is a lot more understandign about the fight
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have people that are heavy....that I used to talk to all the time, and a few seem like they don't want to be around me now. I feel it's ok & there choice. I never say anything about my weightloss, or anything...so I guess it's good luck to them ; )

2639362.png
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yes unfortunately from one of my best friends, who had gained weight an wants to lose it as well but is not doing anything about it. She will try to get me to eat unhealthy food with her when we go out for lunch, and make comments when I turn it down like "well I would rather live my life and enjoy it than be miserable and no fun". It is hurtful, but just remember, its that person's own jealousy and insecurity. No reason to let it get you down!!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There will always be those who are threatened or feel insecure about your success in weight loss. It is very thoughtful of you to consider the feelings of others as you travel along your weight loss journey, however, I hope these negative or manipulative comments are not having a negative impact on your resolve to persevere.
    Dr. Douglas Lisle has some great lectures on DVD (particularly a lecture called Success Forces) that can help when dealing with those who may be reacting negatively to your positive lifestyle changes.

Keep your chin up and wear those skinny jeans proudly! :-)
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if someone said that to me i would have looked them in the eye and said "damn straight"

Amen!!!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Starting at 225, I reached my goal of 180 a month or so ago. I have now dropped a few pounds below that. I am starting to get comments like, "great job on the weight loss, but enough already." Several people now think if I lose more weight I will be too skinny.

So, I think people are always going to have an opinion and I think you have to do your best not to let it bother you. At the end of the day, the person who needs to be content with your body is you.

Best of luck!!!

--Carter
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone else bring you down! If someone feels the need to be rude then its their own insecurity kicking in!

Flaunt your stuff baby! Be proud od what you have accomplished! :)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time. I get some compliments, too, but I was surprised at some of the negativity. In fact, I've had to start avoiding some people because they were so toxic. I don't need people like that in my life. I think most of them are just jealous and scared of the changes I've made this year. It makes them see how crappy their lifestyle is, even if you don't push it on people, as I do not. Don't pay them any attention. Keep up the good work!
  • biodeb
    biodeb Posts: 19
    Options
    When I lose weight it shows in my face first - I look very skinny in my face but my butt is still big. :laugh: So, yeah, I've had people say, "You're getting so skinny". I haven't even lost very much weight!!

I'm saddened by some of the comments people have received, but I agree that it is jealousy.

Enjoy those skinny pants!! You worked hard for them. :wink:
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Wow! They are just jealous! Brag about your success, and enjoy buying all the new cute clothes out there! :)
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    It appears that the green eyed monster showed up in them with that comment. I hope you continue to go for the great cloths and straight legged jeans- you deserve it. Don't let them get you down. Congrats on your weight loss. :bigsmile:
    My co-workers are starting to notice the weight loss and will mention it. What gets me is when people I know comment to other friends that I am looking good but they don't bother to tell me. Go figure- some people just think differently.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who, whenever we're talking about food and I'll mention something I like, immediately tells me "oh YUCK...that's not MY kind of [treat, fun, deliciousness, etc.]." And some who like to make it seem like I'm suffering, or patronize me.

BUT, I'm lucky and the majority of my colleagues and friends are very supportive. Quite a few have joined MFP, too. It's almost divided the work place, though--the MFP people and the non-MFP people. :embarassed:

I have, though, experienced the undertow, too. You're a strong person for being so committed and staying with it! There's perpetual support here. :heart:
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your POSITIVE comments. This is why people on this site are achieving goals, because of all the wonderful support we give each other. Congrats to all of you on your accomplishments, also. I'm glad we have each other to cheerlead our success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!