HELP....which number is correct?!?!?

Options
When I ride the bike at the Y - it asks me how much I weigh and that is it. Then, it calculates the calories burned during the workout. When I key my minutes in on MFP it gives me a much larger number. For example, when I rode the bike for 30 minutes tonight, the machine said I burned 135 calories - but when I keyed it in here it said I burned over 300 calories.

I am just curious if this is why I am really not seeing a difference in the scale. I normally do eat most of my exercise calories back. So, if the machine is correct then I am consuming too many calories -

Does anyone know what ## is correct?!?!?!

Replies

• HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the machine. I do the treadmill at the Y and it asks my weight. The machine tells me about the same thing as my heart rate monitor does. I think MFP's estimates are based on the first person that entered the activity, so if your weight is different from theirs you won't get the right amount of calories burned (but it is a better estimate than just guessing)
  • minus40
    minus40 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you to put in the number on the machine. That's what I do as well... seems more accurate because you are setting the elevation and your weight, etc, on the machine. :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Those machines can be waaaaay off. The best way to know is to invest in a good heart rate monitor so you will know exactly how many you are burning.
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The calories burned on MFP are mostly just estimates. You should get a HRM to better determine how many calories you are actually burning. I never eat back ALL the calories, just in case they are inflated.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the machine. I do the treadmill at the Y and it asks my weight. The machine tells me about the same thing as my heart rate monitor does. I think MFP's estimates are based on the first person that entered the activity, so if your weight is different from theirs you won't get the right amount of calories burned (but it is a better estimate than just guessing)

Actually the MFP one takes into account your age, weight, gender, etc. For example, MFP used to tell me I burned around 850 calories for 60 minutes on the elliptical. Now, with all the weight I've lost, for 60 minutes on the elliptical, it tells me 725 for an hour on the elliptical. The machine still always tells me 600ish. (but I have noticed I've had to work harder to keep it up to 600).
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I agree with Heather - the machine at the gym knows how hard you actually worked - the figure here is just an arbitary figure - that does not take into account effort (or at the very best - works of how you rated your effort)

My results on my HR Monitor and the machines I work on is very closely alligned as well....
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think the number of calories on here from diff exercises are ones others have put in for themselves....I too wonder the same thing...but if I workout on a machine that gives me the number I use that one.
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Good information to know. Thanks!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I do not think that the exercise is based on what the original person entered. MFP would calculate this based on more than your weight. It would base it on all of your information here. The best thing to do is to get your own heart rate monitor (HRM). It will save any confusion about machines or MFP numbers. However, my hrm is always within 30 or so calories of what MFP says. Do some research and choose one that fits your needs and budget. They don't have to cost a fortune, either. The one I have sells for around $50-$60 and I love it. It is from New Balance. Good luck!!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    GO by the machine.
    It generally measures your heartrate too.
    And the bike really doesn't burn much.
    You should skip it up and head for the elliptical instead.
  • Saragre
    Saragre Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem as well. I usually increase or decrease my minutes on the machine until it comes close to the actual calories the machine says. So my diary says things like "Stationary bike- 34 minutes or ellitical 41 minutes" lol.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, since you've been eating the exercise calories estimated by MFP, and not showing the progress you were expecting, then the more accurate between the 2 would definitely be the machine. Though, to get a more accurate estimate of your calories burned would be to invest in a HRM with a chest strap.
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This has been my biggest question too...until i get a HRM, I use the number the elliptical gives me, then subtract 50-100 calories depending on how much I did...when I walk in my neighborhood it's usually at 3 mph but half of the 1 mile is uphill so I use MFP's calculator for 'walking- 3.0 mph' and log that result because they don't have a listing for '3.0mph uphill' so even if MFP overestimates, walking uphill covers those extra calories burned. If I was walking 3.0 mph on a flat track, then i would definitely manually subtract from MFP's figures just to be on the safe side