Health & Rehabilitation Section

Options

Replies

• sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Wow P90X - you are so kind to do this!! Thank you !! Awesome help and if I run into any problems I will definitely be posting!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you, but I have to give credit to Christ Jesus as He has motivated me to help others. I'm actually seeking additional training in neuro so I can have greater impact on the medical field and my patients/clients.

God bless

Amen Brother.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia so have all the inevitable aches pains fatigue etc and was told to either do thai chi or swimming so i chose swimming as thai chi here is a non starter in this rural area.. i am not allowed to put my knees through more than a 25 degree angle through exercise due to short tendons but i have some stretching exercises to do for them
    but am also having problems with my elbows and i have inconclusive results with the carpol tunnel tests ... is there any other exercise u think could be helpful ?
    my symptoms are that i find it difficult to open heavy doors carry pans of water or veg in the kitchen and take out pans from the oven as well as pains in my hands wrists etc so i find it hard to cut root veg etc

Have you tried "myofascial release"
    http://www.myofascialrelease.com/home.asp

The link is to the home page of the myofascial release guru and has tons of information listed on it. Basically fascia courses throughout our bodies from head to toe and a disruption at any area can cause pain a the area where tension builds. Simple stretch and hold activities may lengthen and realign fascia sometimes eliminating or significantly decreasing pain in a few treatment sessions. This may be used in conjunction with massage to decrease pain associated with fibromyalgia.

As for exercise, so little is really known about what actually causes fibromyalgia (I know you've heard that one before). What I have found is any low impact activities that don't increase pain will be of some benefit. They have to be spaced out so as not to increase symptoms, you can try a forearm curls with a 2 lb weight shooting for greater reps (12 - 15) or squeeze a racquetball to increase grip/finger strength, but is would not be intense, very gentle to start paying close attention to how you hands handle it. Keep the pool work going, best exercise to unload joints and get some cardio/strength gains.

Keep me posted.

thanks i will have a look at the info u gave me i will try some forearm curls but i will have to be very careful with that i think ... i will defo keep the pool work going as since i began swimming i have felt so much better .. and i sleep better after a swim too
  • p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia so have all the inevitable aches pains fatigue etc and was told to either do thai chi or swimming so i chose swimming as thai chi here is a non starter in this rural area.. i am not allowed to put my knees through more than a 25 degree angle through exercise due to short tendons but i have some stretching exercises to do for them
    but am also having problems with my elbows and i have inconclusive results with the carpol tunnel tests ... is there any other exercise u think could be helpful ?
    my symptoms are that i find it difficult to open heavy doors carry pans of water or veg in the kitchen and take out pans from the oven as well as pains in my hands wrists etc so i find it hard to cut root veg etc

The link is to the home page of the myofascial release guru and has tons of information listed on it. Basically fascia courses throughout our bodies from head to toe and a disruption at any area can cause pain a the area where tension builds. Simple stretch and hold activities may lengthen and realign fascia sometimes eliminating or significantly decreasing pain in a few treatment sessions. This may be used in conjunction with massage to decrease pain associated with fibromyalgia.

As for exercise, so little is really known about what actually causes fibromyalgia (I know you've heard that one before). What I have found is any low impact activities that don't increase pain will be of some benefit. They have to be spaced out so as not to increase symptoms, you can try a forearm curls with a 2 lb weight shooting for greater reps (12 - 15) or squeeze a racquetball to increase grip/finger strength, but is would not be intense, very gentle to start paying close attention to how you hands handle it. Keep the pool work going, best exercise to unload joints and get some cardio/strength gains.

Keep me posted.

thanks i will have a look at the info u gave me i will try some forearm curls but i will have to be very careful with that i think ... i will defo keep the pool work going as since i began swimming i have felt so much better .. and i sleep better after a swim too

you're welcome, keep me posted
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Great thread. I echo the many thanks here. Thank you.

So...why when I start up running again do my calf muscles feel REALLY tight? I keep having to stop and stretch them. After I run a month or two consistently it seems to get better. Any clues?

I'm going to start running again, now that my hip flexor tear is completely healed. I definitely waited long enough (2 years biking instead of running. I know I'm healed and want to stop procrastinating.) What can I do to keep my calve muscles from getting too tight while I run? They feel "full" after I run a little while. I am blessed with naturally muscular legs. My best friend calls them my Popeye legs:laugh: . I don't know how/if possible to change that...but how do I stop the pain/tightness from running?

Thanks so much.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

So...why when I start up running again do my calf muscles feel REALLY tight? I keep having to stop and stretch them. After I run a month or two consistently it seems to get better. Any clues?

I'm going to start running again, now that my hip flexor tear is completely healed. I definitely waited long enough (2 years biking instead of running. I know I'm healed and want to stop procrastinating.) What can I do to keep my calve muscles from getting too tight while I run? They feel "full" after I run a little while. I am blessed with naturally muscular legs. My best friend calls them my Popeye legs:laugh: . I don't know how/if possible to change that...but how do I stop the pain/tightness from running?

Thanks so much.

One question: how are your arches? and is the tightness the same on both side? Also any pain associated with the pain.

If there are no problems in these areas your problem is probably the same as my problem.....very muscular calfs. The larger the muscle, the more attention it requires for warming up and stretching. I'd make sure you really warm them up good, with some calf raises and good stretches (towel or wall) holding them for >15 seconds. Like I've kind of been telling everyone else is this will let you know possibly if this is the problem (proper warm up).

Also remember there is high demand for oxygen by your calf muscles which is also probably why after they adjust to running, they adapt and you don't have the same problem.

Example, if my calves (is that right funny spelling) are used to speed walking then that is where they plateau. When I begin running they have to adapt to that new physical demand, hince more soreness and stiffness until they gradually adjust.

Hope this helps.
    God bless (congrats on the muscular calf muscles, we may be related :yawn: :happy: )
  • jlwhelan1
    Options

Thanks so much.

One question: how are your arches? and is the tightness the same on both side? Also any pain associated with the pain.

If there are no problems in these areas your problem is probably the same as my problem.....very muscular calfs. The larger the muscle, the more attention it requires for warming up and stretching. I'd make sure you really warm them up good, with some calf raises and good stretches (towel or wall) holding them for >15 seconds. Like I've kind of been telling everyone else is this will let you know possibly if this is the problem (proper warm up).

Also remember there is high demand for oxygen by your calf muscles which is also probably why after they adjust to running, they adapt and you don't have the same problem.

Example, if my calves (is that right funny spelling) are used to speed walking then that is where they plateau. When I begin running they have to adapt to that new physical demand, hince more soreness and stiffness until they gradually adjust.

Hope this helps.
    God bless (congrats on the muscular calf muscles, we may be related :yawn: :happy: )

Aren't we all related?:tongue:

Hmm, my arches are fine - probably average to high. My feet are strong. The tightness is pretty uniform to both legs/calves. (I do think the plural of calf is calves, but I'm a chemist and don't claim to spell well.) No pain other than the tightness/vice grip like pain/discomfort. I will redouble my warm up efforts and ease into running. No more excuses to put if off. Thank you.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

Thanks so much.

Hope this helps.

Aren't we all related?:tongue:

Hmm, my arches are fine - probably average to high. My feet are strong. The tightness is pretty uniform to both legs/calves. (I do think the plural of calf is calves, but I'm a chemist and don't claim to spell well.) No pain other than the tightness/vice grip like pain/discomfort. I will redouble my warm up efforts and ease into running. No more excuses to put if off. Thank you.

Yes indeed we are related :happy: sounds like you're good to me for the first 3 weeks really focus well on the warmup//stretch aspect of the calves.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options

Yes indeed we are related :happy: sounds like you're good to me for the first 3 weeks really focus well on the warmup//stretch aspect of the calves.

Will do. Lots of warm up and stretching. Thanks!
  • FitShark
    FitShark Posts: 68
    Options
    Hello and thanks for taking the tme for this! I have always had an interest in PT and took a lot of BIO/PHYSIO courses in college (my major was food/nutrition).
    Anyhow, I have a question.......I'm doing P90X+, and there is a move called Scorpion PLank Twist....or some such....From plank position, you raise a leg and then twist it back and over the opposite leg, heel going towards the ground, not necessarily touching. MY left hip hurts when I am twisting open to the right (right leg up and over), it doesnt bother me going in the opposite direction. In the suport position, and balanced on the side of my foot, my hip area feels strain, and not so much like collapsing, but weak too I guess.
    About a year ago, I had a hip flexor tendonitis/strain situation, from no particular cause (overuse was the consensus) an was on crutches for 1 1/2 wks. I rehabbed well, and have intermittent pains. I stretch etc, not really a problem doing other things, any suggestinos to modifying the exercise? Or just skip it on that side? Thanks P90X Dude!
  • FitShark
    Options
    Hello and thanks for taking the tme for this! I have always had an interest in PT and took a lot of BIO/PHYSIO courses in college (my major was food/nutrition).
    Anyhow, I have a question.......I'm doing P90X+, and there is a move called Scorpion PLank Twist....or some such....From plank position, you raise a leg and then twist it back and over the opposite leg, heel going towards the ground, not necessarily touching. MY left hip hurts when I am twisting open to the right (right leg up and over), it doesnt bother me going in the opposite direction. In the suport position, and balanced on the side of my foot, my hip area feels strain, and not so much like collapsing, but weak too I guess.
    About a year ago, I had a hip flexor tendonitis/strain situation, from no particular cause (overuse was the consensus) an was on crutches for 1 1/2 wks. I rehabbed well, and have intermittent pains. I stretch etc, not really a problem doing other things, any suggestinos to modifying the exercise? Or just skip it on that side? Thanks P90X Dude!
  • iojoi
    Options

Keep me posted.

I cant find anyone in norfolk or locally doing "myofascial release"

if anyone knows different please let me know
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

Keep me posted.

I'll see what I can find! Remember any physical therapist may know how to perform some of the techniques, they may just not be certified. You can check with your local PT clinics and see if anyone is experienced in that area.
  • iojoi
    Options

Keep me posted.

I'll see what I can find! Remember any physical therapist may know how to perform some of the techniques, they may just not be certified. You can check with your local PT clinics and see if anyone is experienced in that area.

i am going to ask around but there doesnt seem anything in this area maybe its early days for this type of therapy in the uk?
    the closest towns are kings lynn & dereham
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

I just realized I didn't respond to your question. What caused your hip flexor problems (incident, overuse, etc.). Obviously avoid the activity that cause pain, maybe rather than rotating you hips the full 180 degrees I'm trying to picture this move, as I'm not Yoga extraordenair, limit the revolution to 90 degrees.

The PT in me however is curious as to how you initiall injured the hip flexors. I think that's the root of the problem.
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

Keep me posted.

i am going to ask around but there doesnt seem anything in this area maybe its early days for this type of therapy in the uk?
    the closest towns are kings lynn & dereham

Excuse my ignorance, I quickly read norfolk and assumed it was in the states. I'm still sure there are some therapists that know the basics or at least can read up on it and perform the movements.
  • FitShark
    Options

I just realized I didn't respond to your question. What caused your hip flexor problems (incident, overuse, etc.). Obviously avoid the activity that cause pain, maybe rather than rotating you hips the full 180 degrees I'm trying to picture this move, as I'm not Yoga extraordenair, limit the revolution to 90 degrees.

The PT in me however is curious as to how you initiall injured the hip flexors. I think that's the root of the problem.

I am not really sure of what it was; At the time I was working out, aerobics and yoga, and working at a physically demanding job... my day consisted of 12 hours of on my feet walking, standing, stocking shelves, pushing/pulling fully loaded carts and rolling racks, washing dishes (cafeteria style conveyor-belt thing....) Lots of twisting, turning, bending...etc... Anyhow, I went from sore, hard to move to incapacitated in about a weeks time. there was no "ouch" moment, just a build up to the "ready to see a doctor" mode! I was stupid for not going earlier. The execricise I try here is hard to picture, but it's kind'a fun way to work the abs/obliques....I will try the modification you suggest and see how it goes, thanks!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

Okay, got me puzzled but sounds like overuse. Cutting back some of those things that increase irritation, including during a workout. Keep me posted.

I am not really sure of what it was; At the time I was working out, aerobics and yoga, and working at a physically demanding job... my day consisted of 12 hours of on my feet walking, standing, stocking shelves, pushing/pulling fully loaded carts and rolling racks, washing dishes (cafeteria style conveyor-belt thing....) Lots of twisting, turning, bending...etc... Anyhow, I went from sore, hard to move to incapacitated in about a weeks time. there was no "ouch" moment, just a build up to the "ready to see a doctor" mode! I was stupid for not going earlier. The execricise I try here is hard to picture, but it's kind'a fun way to work the abs/obliques....I will try the modification you suggest and see how it goes, thanks!
  • FitShark
    Options
    [/quote]

Okay, got me puzzled but sounds like overuse. Cutting back some of those things that increase irritation, including during a workout. Keep me posted.

[/quote]

Well, I have done it again, and this time on both sides to boot! :mad: I was limiting myself this week no less...From what I ahve been reading, and feeling, it may be illiopsoas bursitis, adn I reaggrivated it. But, I was also wondering if cysts may be partly to blame. I have also recently had a Dx of uterine and follicular cysts; and to be purely medical about it, I can feel some bumps in my groin along the inner thigh/groin fold. Do you think that is a wholly separate issue? Probably......the tender areas of the hip are higher in the groin/hip juncture.....ugh, :cry: if I cant make it through today, I am going to a doc immediately this time.....
  • FitShark
    Options
    I am happy to report that my homemade rehab with help from you, has gotten me back on track! I still hold back on that particular type of exercise, and am easing back into them fully I hope, but I am not in pain! yeah, no pain.....thx for your confirmation of what I may need to do to get better..
    ->Carolyn
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    GOOD LPT'S ROCK!!!:love::love:
    I just wanted to say an really good LPT is the most important part of recovering from an injury. I was in a car ax 2 yrs ago at age 45. I have hnp in c45 that sits on a nerve. Had ESI and then PT on 2 sep. occasions.

Well this last time I refused the ESI and asked if I can see a particular LPT that was reccommend. The Work Comp carrier fought me, but I pointed out injections are 6k and pt is around 2k. So they allowed it.

Wow what a difference. 1st thing I did was tell her what I couldnt do. She laughed and said-you will do what I say! LOL. (picture nurse ratchett with great legs!)

My therapist helped me for 12 weeks, increasing my upper body strength and most of all my confidence. Now it is about what i CAN do. I religously do my PT every other day.

I went into the office to show them I lost 16 pounds and THEY STARTED IT ALL!!