Eating out

Hartbarney05
Hartbarney05 Posts: 22
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm fairly new to MFP and I'm wondering how you guys track your calories, fat, etc when you eat out?? I know some places put that info on their menu or have it posted but what about the places that don't? Or if you eat over at a friends house??

Thanks!
Avagirl

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Try and gauge it as best you can. But try searching for the places that you eat out at, you'd be surprised at what this site's database has! It certainly has shocked me :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    I have a blog about some eating out tips. May not be all you are looking for but hope it helps. Good luck and have fun!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/atomdraco/view/diet-tip-eating-out-75769
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    I try and individually add all the ingredients from whatever I ate.
    Or search the database and get an estimate of what you ate.
    I hate not being able to know the amount I consume, but I overestimate a little, just to be safe :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Try estimating as best you can. Or, you can have one or two "cheat" meals a week where you don't worry about counting the calories, etc.
  • When eating out, I look on my phone app to check cals before I eat and try to pick a dish that is most similar to the one I'm going to have. Usually you can tell what is and isn't high in cals, but sometimes it's hard to tell. I usually try to lean towards fish or some sort of chicken and veggie dish. You can also ask how it's cooked (with butter, oil etc) and can sometimes request steamed veggies or grilled chicken instead of sauteed (usually in butter or some sort of fat).

It's hard when you eat at a friend's because you don't really have a choice. In that case, try to estimate by picking a similar dish in the database. Hope that helps a bit! :)
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    By law in America, all places that serve food have to have the nutrition information available if a customer asks for it. So, when I go to eat, I usually ask for the info and they bring it to me in a binder or what have you. Sometimes it is on the wall. Sometimes I am referred to the establisment's website and all the info is on there. But, they have to have it, so just ask. (If you are in America. I am not sure in other countries.)

I think guesstimating can be risky unless you guess really high, because eating out at most places is really high in calories. I usually try to get the nutrition info and be as acurate as I possibly can.
This discussion has been closed.