Hearty Fish Stew

Options
busub
busub Posts: 58
SUNDAY RECIPE!!! Just made this for the wife. It's about 290 calories for every 2 C... yes that's 2 CUP serving.

Fish Stew:

1 Large onion, minced
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, skinned and diced
4 cloves (or more) garlic, minced
1/4 C olive oil
4 small red potatoes
2 zucchini, sliced
10 white mushrooms, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 cans diced low sodium diced tomato
1 C clam juice (Snow brand...if you can't find it, fish broth can be used but beware it has higher sodium and calorie content)
1 C chardonnay (chill the remainder for obvious reasons)
2 bay leaves
handful of chopped basil
1 tsp each italian seasoning, oregano and thyme (or to taste)
2 lbs (or a little under a kilo) fish (cod, salmon, pollock, swai, halibut, etc.), cubed
salt/pepper to taste

In a stockpot soften onion, celery, garlic and carrots in the olive oil. Once softened, add everything else but the fish and simmer until the potatoes are soft, and celery and carrots are al dente. 10 minutes before serving throw in the fish cubes and cook till just done. Add water for desired consistency. Divide evenly into 8 portions. Serve w/ splash of red wine vinegar on top along w/ some crusty french bread.

For myself, I bought garlic naan instead... just because I like garlic naan, and ate half of one piece (120 kcals). Total calories for a very hearty meal, about 410 kcal. If you'd like you can treat it like a bouillabaisse and add other seafood items like shrimp, mussels, clams and crab. Just gotta make sure you adjust your calories for that.

Each serving is 11 g fat, 741 mg potassium, 26 g total carbs (4 fiber, 6 sugar), and 15 g protein. Obviously dependent on the amount of salt you add will really affect the sodium content. To reduce increase your protein to fat ratio, you could probably get away w/ 2 T of EVOO instead of a quarter cup, halving your fat, pretty much.

Replies