The "how are you losing it" question

Options

Replies

• MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people find it so hard to believe. My boyfriend's mother sees me eating all day long and wonders why I'm losing weight and she's not. She eats half as much as I do and is more active, generally. I've tried explaining to her that it's not how much you eat, but how you choose your food. Sure I have some days where I go over my calorie allowance, but I try to make up for it the next day and it keeps me on my diet. If I never allowed myself to have the extra yummy things, I would have given up a long time ago.

I think she's thinking if she continues to eat the bad stuff, but less of it, she'll lose weight...but then she just ends up hungry and overeats. Sometimes you just can't get it through peoples' heads.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This is why I love this site, there are so many people who go throught he same stuff and are willing to share thier experiences and be supportive of others!
    Yay! :flowerforyou:
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I will too be logging forever, when i stop logging, I start gaining. :)

Same here every time I stop logging the pounds come right back on very fast.
  • Brendan_Townsend
    Options
    My friend put it to someone who asked him at a party the best way possible. "Oooh. I'm trying this really awesome new thing." and when they got really excited and asked him what it was, he said in the most excited voice ever "I'm eating healthy and exercising!"

He made a bigger point when everyone else was chowing down pizza and he took his chicken and broccoli out of the fridge.

I hope I don't make him sound like a jerk. He normally won't even talk about it, but when someone asks him and makes it seem like it's some big mystery...he gives them that response.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My friend put it to someone who asked him at a party the best way possible. "Oooh. I'm trying this really awesome new thing." and when they got really excited and asked him what it was, he said in the most excited voice ever "I'm eating healthy and exercising!"

I love that response, I may try it! :smile:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You can always tell how successful someone is going to be at losing weight by judging their reaction when you tell them how YOU lost weight. If they seem relieved and say "Really? It's that simple?" when you utter the dreaded words "diet and exercise," they're going to do great. If they make a face and roll their eyes, yeah, they're not going to be losing weight any time soon.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I gave up on that question long ago.

Now I just tell them what they want to hear; I ate an entire box of Twinkies and a half gallon of choclate ice cream in one sitting, then went to the Bibbilty Bobblety Boutque at Disney World where I was magically transformed.
  • hjy319
    Options

Now I just tell them what they want to hear; I ate an entire box of Twinkies and a half gallon of choclate ice cream in one sitting, then went to the Bibbilty Bobblety Boutque at Disney World where I was magically transformed.

Awww man I could have just went to Disney world and been done with all this??? :laugh:
    That is creative I love it!!!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You can always tell how successful someone is going to be at losing weight by judging their reaction when you tell them how YOU lost weight. If they seem relieved and say "Really? It's that simple?" when you utter the dreaded words "diet and exercise," they're going to do great. If they make a face and roll their eyes, yeah, they're not going to be losing weight any time soon.

I agree with this 100%. The only people I've known to lose weight and keep it off were the ones who exercised and ate right. The people who have used pills, supplements, or crazy diets might have lost a lot to begin with... but then gained it all back plus some more. Anecdotal evidence, for sure... but it rings true to me.

A friend of mine gets very dismissive when she asks how I'm losing weight and I tell her that I'm counting my calories. She says she doesn't want to have to do all that work... but continues to think she can lose weight by magical thinking.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it amazes me how many people think there is some super secret magic trick to it and totally don't believe you when you say "diet and exercise." I actually love when thin, fit people notice my weight loss and say to me "Have you been working out a lot?" because that tells me that they get it ... they assume I have put some effort into it because they know that's what it takes. They don't immediately assume I must be starving myself or taking some stupid pill.

I like to tell people that losing weight is simple ... not easy, but simple. Eat better, exercise more. That's it. There's nothing else to it.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I try to turn people on to this site - I like calories in and out and exercise. You are probably very inspirational to many people. Keep up the good work.
  • hjy319
    Options
    I love it on here, I just hope those I tell about it check it out and like it too. Thanks everyone for your support and friendship on here, it helps more than anyone (outside of this site :wink: ) will ever know!!!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I will too be logging forever, when i stop logging, I start gaining. :)

Due to the HUGE mistake I made (neglecting to log in) I was thinking of not logging everyday. I know better so I'm going to keep doing what I know works.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, I have had a few friends sign up after I tell them, but most of them haven't been back...that said, I keep it simple when I explain "how I am losing it." I say, "I have been paying attention to what I am putting in my mouth, quality and quantity." Most people can live with that. I haven't had anyone ask yet if I have used some miracle pill, but my weight loss has not been as significant as yours yet :) Keep up the great work!
  • akcaswell
    akcaswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get that! I lost 120lbs (down to my last 20) and people ask me all the time how I did it.....DIET AND EXERCISE!! there is no easy way out! I have family who are considering surgery and they think that is "easy"...even when you have the surgery it is only an aid....you still have to work for it in order for it to stick! PLain and simple..there is no easy way out and the general public doesnt seem to understand that :( keep on truckin! You are doing great!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes too. I am not down a jean size yet (which is my ultimate goal) but my jeans are now loose on me compared to before. Most people don't believe when I tell them about MFP. I even tell people "You should try it, it's great." And then they never do but still complain about the weight they want to lose. I find it very funny when they complain about the weight they want to lose while eating their second doughnut from the treats brought in. It's like really? Really?
  • carolinalori
    Options
    Over the past year, I lost 70 pounds and a "friend" asked me point blank "did you take something"... It is upsetting because I have worked my butt off (literally) and I count every calorie i put in my body along with exercise five days a week!
  • hjy319
    Options
    Over the past year, I lost 70 pounds and a "friend" asked me point blank "did you take something"... It is upsetting because I have worked my butt off (literally) and I count every calorie i put in my body along with exercise five days a week!

Awesome job!! You are doing the right thing and getting the desired results! Don't let them get you, just smile and know that you will keep it off so much longer by doing this the right way and not using the "quick fixes" that so many others do.
    I know I have tried them all!! I have 10 more lbs to lose before I hot my all time lowest that I hit with weight watchers.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, not going to tell you to start eating them. I didn't eat them in the beginning either. I have been kissing steadily and consistently. Forty five pounds since the beginning of the year.

However, I have started eating some of them back. Less than a pound left till I reach the healthy range for my BMI. And I often burn 800-1100 calories a day. 1200 was no longer sustaining me, so gradually started upping them. Usually around 1600 a day now. Just keep in mind that as you deplete your fat stores, you body is going to need more food.
    As of right now I do not eat my workout calories back, because its working, when it stops working, i'll adjust it.
    Just wondering if anyone else has run into the same??
    I'm the same!
    I don't eat my exercise calories back and have done really well over the last 6 months (107lbs lost), I just stick to what works for me to be honest :bigsmile:
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone has said is absolutely true! I have had people notice even though I haven't lost much... YET! I tell them all about MFP & 2 of my friends have signed up & log in regularly. (They are working towards every day. - Busier lives than mine!)

Never ceases to amaze me when people actually ask me "What are you taking?" or "What diet are you on?" I tell them that I'm not & then point them to MFP!

We are all inspirations for eachother! :bigsmile:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter